Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Engine Swap: Help Me Decide

Old 07-30-2009, 08:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Engine Swap: Help Me Decide

Not to do it or not. But, which engine to use after my 2AZFE dies. I can do the electrical, I have friends who can weld. Between my friends, myself, and the internet anything can be done. Plenty of fab shops in Houston if I need custom parts made.

I'm looking at few:

1) 2GR-FE
2) Chevy 350 crate motor
3) 3MZ-FE

4) 1MZ-FE w/supercharger

No, money isn't a problem... at least for me. The wife might sign on to this kind of swap but if not, I'll get the new Camaro SS. Either way, it's a win-win situation for me. If I do get one of these swaps, I'll end up going RWD with it as well. If I get the 2GR-FE, most probably stay FWD.

Last edited by TheFantasticG; 07-30-2009 at 08:13 PM.
Old 07-30-2009, 08:41 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

1st, the standard what's the point reply.

Motor swap isn't worth the time, money, or loss of A/C, power steering, etc, when a built 2AZ motor and a turbo can net 350+ WHP, and how much more do you really need. PTuning or Dezod can even give you one stop shopping for short block, cams, springs, bolts, turbo, exhaust, fuel management, and everything else you could possibly need, for probably cheaper than the full custom route.

Take a close look and a drive in the Camero before signing for a vehicle with poor visability, interior and handling. Not blue biased, I've driven the Mustang GT as well and it's not any better. Looks good from the outside, not fun to drive other than straight. Assuming you want a V-8, they start at $30k.

If I was in the market, my front runner would be the Genesis coupe. Better visibility, better interior, better weight distribution, RWD, $22k and turbo. Probably also cheaper to insure. Just don't get the V6. The turbo 4 was designed by the same group who did the Evo motor, and the SRT-4. Stock on the 2L is 210 HP, so probably 8-9 psi. According to motor trend, the stock engine with it's 9.4:1 C/R can hold 29 psi. 3294 lbs makes it about the same weight as the tC.

If you're really pressed to do a swap, why not go big and go Toyota. Check out the 3UZ-FE. I was at a show last weekend and there was an AE86 Corolla with a twin-turbo 2UZ-FE swap in it, the thing was amazing. I can get you in contact with the shop that did it of you have technical questions, they're NTO Motorsports, specializing in old school toyotas.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_UZ_engine

FYI, there was a guy here in Maryland that did a 350 swap in a 1gen xB. By his estimates, it ran him about $40k for the swap, and this was with him doing all the sheet metal and body work himself. Needed a complete new front tube frame, suspension, custom axles, suspension and driveshaft, etc. He now has so much torque he can't stick the tires on launch, making it much harder to drive. Not completely saying don't do it, but make sure you plan out all the expenses before starting.

Last edited by vettereddie; 07-30-2009 at 08:47 PM.
Old 07-30-2009, 09:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

lol at this thread
Old 07-30-2009, 09:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Good response.

I intend to test drive the Camaro SS before I buy, like a pair of shoes. The H. Gensis just isn't an option. I don't like how it looks... at all. SRT4, eh, no. Same reason.

I've already turbo'd my 2AZFE. It's alright.

The 2UZ is an interesting option. Well worth looking into as well. The cheapest option though would be keeping it FWD and built 2AZ. But, eh, that just doesn't appeal to me. I want a swap. I'll probably end up doing the 2GRFE or 1MZFE.

XIE, you might as well just GTFO. Your lack of ... well, anything that remotely looks like a coherent thought is sad and doesn't need to clutter up this thread. Unless you have something constructive to add, just GTFO.
Old 07-30-2009, 09:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ehh..if you have the money then go for it I guess..but honestly with what you will be spending you can get a much better car and a much better platform to work with as far as getting performance and power.
Old 07-30-2009, 09:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

anything with a vtek.
Old 07-30-2009, 09:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^I agree with XIE and think about it..you crash your newly built tC and all your money goes down the drain. I say you should invest your money in AWD platform. Evo and Sti pulls like no other.

Last edited by Domo; 07-30-2009 at 09:17 PM. Reason: different person
Old 07-30-2009, 09:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

There you go. Much better response XIE.

The car is just a toy. It's not a daily driver. I like it a lot. I probably will eventually move on to something else, but I just don't care to right now. Perhaps later. Until I find another that sparks my interest like this car has, I'll just play with this one.

None of this is an investment. It's all just paying for entertainment. I don't really care if I crash it or not. I crashed a car before, then moved on to another, sold that one, then moved to the tC. They come and go, just like the money.

Like I said, this thread isn't about whether I'm doing the swap or not, it's what engine to choose to do the swap with.
Old 07-30-2009, 09:24 PM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

fwd with a chevy 5.7 now that would be awesome to see
Old 07-30-2009, 09:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ok then might as well go all out and stick a v10 in there for giggles
Old 07-30-2009, 09:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

fantastic...whatever you do for a living...hook a brotha up lol
Old 07-30-2009, 09:55 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jct
fwd with a chevy 5.7 now that would be awesome to see

chevy came out with the celebrity (however you spell it) it was a front wheel drive v8...i think there are plenty of others...

btw guys i know Garret (TheFantasticG) and he is not some little kid dreaming ish up just to see what others will say.

ill lend all my fab skills for your project Garret. Im down for whatever.
Old 07-30-2009, 10:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I think a 3S-GTE would be sweet. Toyota turbo 4 cylinder, and can handle a good amount of power.
Old 07-30-2009, 10:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Appreciate it Chris.

I was talking to the wife about it after we got off the phone. Shes on the fence about it. She said either get the 2GRFE or buy a V8 RWD car. I told her I like the tC, and I like driving FWD. It will cost less to swap an engine in than to buy a new car. That's just the way it is. I've reminded her in the past (last night as a matter of fact) of how much I like driving something unique, i.e. my swapped Tercel. Like I said, I'll probably go with the 1MZFE or 2GRFE... although the 2GRFE has better numbers, thus more worth the swap.

Originally Posted by youngflyer
fantastic...whatever you do for a living...hook a brotha up lol
I'm an oil field hand yo.

No kids. Wife has a job and makes good money.
Old 07-30-2009, 11:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well if you have the no how and the means (as well as the money) i'd be all for someone doing a swap. I guess you just have plenty of money to spare. (*cough pay off my car cough* lol jk) but in all seriousness - I just think there are other platforms available that are FWD that have much more cost effective potential..still it would be cool to take on such a project.
Old 07-30-2009, 11:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I would agree do a 3sgte. I say keep it front wheel drive. That or build the crap out of the 2az, 8k redline would be awesome!
Old 07-30-2009, 11:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

The GP GXP is a FWD v8. Terrible to drive also

too much weight to put a v8 in such a small car like the tc, it will handle like sht. Just build the stock motor up further, unless you really want to spend the money on such a poor platform. It will be very thankless other than a few on SL, and wasting money isnt fun even when youre loaded.
Old 07-31-2009, 12:03 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

after i thought about it a while id rather see a 4 cyl or a six...but dealing with a heavy **** v8 will be fairly labor intensive...think about haveing to get new coils (or new coil overs) that will help support the front end a little better with all that extra weight. the whole front suspension will have to be redone...deff doable but just alot of work...im still down for whatever you go with.
Old 07-31-2009, 12:09 AM
SL Member

rb26dett... lol idk anything about what your talking about with these engines or about engines in general but i no the rb26dett is capable of some serious power and it was used in skylines
Old 07-31-2009, 12:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

like fwd? get a k20, then let me know what i gotta do to get it into MY car

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Engine Swap: Help Me Decide