Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Exhaust and other pre-F.I. parts voiding engine warranty???

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2007, 02:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Exhaust and other pre-F.I. parts voiding engine warranty???

Will Toyota void your engine warranty if you change the exhaust from your header to tailpipe and will an underdrive pulley and lightened flywheel void it?

I'm asking this because I want to TRD dealer installed S/C the tC but do a full exhaust and other light mods first...

How much WHP increase can I expect from the full exhaust VS. doing an OE style axleback bot when I let the dealer install a warranted TRD S/C'er?

mods please move if in the wrong section, thanks...
Old 06-22-2007, 02:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

wrong place again bro... so youre goin with a sc now? anything you touch in the engine bay pretty much voids your warranty.. not too sure about exhaust you wont get any gains from an axelback.. stop making so many threads when you can get them answered in the ones you have started already
Old 06-22-2007, 03:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

No No No!!
NOTHING voids your warranty. If anything you put on the car that is not OEM direct replacement...and they can prove that the exact part caused a malfunction, then it will not be covered under warranty! But nothing will void your warranty!
Old 06-22-2007, 04:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

yup, that's true, under the magnusson moss act i think it is?

but the dealer can always say something rediculous. I heard somewhere online that a dealer stated that aftermarket 18" rims were causing stress, which caused the block to crack on some VWs...
Old 06-22-2007, 04:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

okay, first off, if you are going to get the supercharger, you aren't going to get an underdrive crank pully, you are going to get a supercharger pully to increase the boost of the supercharger.

now then, the trd supercharger has a tamper evident cap or something that if it shows that it has been tampered with, warranty is voided. if you change your headers, you will probably void your warranty because the factory heat guard is no longer in place which increases possible damage to the supercharger drive shaft. if you mod the intake like install a cold air intake or mmw sri, it would also void the warranty because the air fuel ratios would be wrong.

the only thing you could do that would increase your performance without hurting warranty would probably just be an s-pipe and s-pipe back exhaust.
Old 06-22-2007, 04:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

if you are worried about the warranty do not mod your car, simple as that.
Old 06-22-2007, 05:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hmmm... How much power can a tC make without Toyota denying warranty?

So, I should just do after header mods and also install some gauges or a digital diagnostics monitor to prevent engine trouble?

BTW: who in SL has the fastest warranted tC?
Old 06-22-2007, 05:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

theres no such thang homie.. the most you can do is header... exhaust.. intake.. at that the gains arent that big and judgin from your 2908234 other threads.. you want to keep up with other turbo cars.. that wont cut it unless you plan on voiding your warranty
Old 06-22-2007, 05:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well, for a supercharger, 200 hp is about it, exhaust at best would add like what another 10 hp a best? it takes nearly a second off your 1/4 mile time, so your going to run 14 seconds.

kanundrum got his supercharger tuned with a unichip so it is making 225 whp and all he has is the trd axel back exhaust which doesn't add much hp at all. and the stock 7 psi pully. he still has a warranty, but that is only because you don't really notice a unichip piggyback ecu in the glovebox i suppose...
Old 06-22-2007, 05:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Can Toyota also really void the warranty if you don't bring the tC for "Dino oil changes" and instead you give it good ol' pure Synthetic high quality oil and reusable race filter or Purolator w/ all the receipts...

Or maybe they could blame good 91 octane Shell and Chevron gas.
Old 06-22-2007, 05:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Is the warranty a trick? if so...

F*** the warranty and I'll just get a good expensive turbo and a junk yard back-up engine.
Old 06-22-2007, 02:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

if you want a tc that is warrantied and trying your trying to make it fast then do all trd stuff!!!! not saying its the best but you cant void your warrenty if you buy the parts form a dealer and have them install!!!!

y dont you be the first to find or be the fastes warrentied tc!!!
Old 06-22-2007, 06:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Is the unichip removable to make it look untouched when something does go wrong?

I don't have much tC experience so I don't know how the engine will last FI'd... So I would like my tC to run atleast 100K miles modded.

Even though it's gonna be garaged stored and only to be driven twice a month unless there is a double Corolla break down...

If I do S/C, I hope and wish I can make it hit 230WHP+ warranted... (then I'll buy a turbo kit once the warranty is expired and keep the SC'er.
Old 06-22-2007, 07:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you cannot afford, out of your own pocket, to fix the problems the parts you're installing can cause, you should not install them.

There is absolutely no guarantee that your warranty will be honored if you modify factory equipment.

And the idea about frauding a claim by removing aftermarket parts when a problem occurs only serves to screw the rest of us when we have legitimate problems.