Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Header Fail Question turned into DYI!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 12:00 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Default Header Fail Question turned into DYI!!!

LOL this isn't 100% and I would use your better judgement on this if you spent $170 dollars to get your header coated. But this is the story/question asked.

Oh I was driving around to get some ice cream for my youngin and wife when I noticed a smell. Kinda smelt like burning oil.. Yeah yeah I know another TRD supercharger possibly on the verge of self internal mutilation.

Anywho thats not the issue. I pull into the grocery parking lot and pop open the hood to see what my oil level was at... (First mistake). I pull out the dip stick noticed its a little low, so I put it back in wait 5 seconds and then pull it out again. Well when I went to wipe off the dipstick a drop of oil fell on my header and cooked away.... (Fail 2). Without a though I had a micro fiber cloth to wipe off the dip stick and I used it to wipe away the oil on the header while still hella hot.. (Fail 3) I left an imprint of the micro fiber on my newly coated megan header...

Now my question is what can I do to clean it off or am I ____ed and going to have to get it recoated? Any help would be awesome!

Now I did this but it isn't proven nor would I recomend it but if you don't care like I do then hey this DIY is for you bud! Ohh yeah I forgot, DO THIS WHEN THE HEADER IS COOL TO TOUCH!

First I looked at the header and figured out what I could use. So I stole the mean green pad out of the kitchen slapped some soap on it and got it soaking wet. Then grabbed a cloth out of the truck of my car, preferbaly clean.

Then you should lightly I mean lightly (My theory on this is; I'd rather spend 10 hours lightly scrubbing and have little to next to no scratches, than put my elbow into it and have the coating fail in a month.. Just my 2 cents), rub the area. I utilized my up to down, left to right, clockwise to counter clockwise motion.

I would do 2 passes lightly then stop. Then wipe and see my progress. Then I would continue. Low and behold this is the outcome!

By tokenasianguy, shot with FinePix J50 at 2009-06-10

Now tomorrow morning before i head to work I will wipe down the header with rubbing alcohol. I didn't because I couldn't find it. Also after running it for 15 minutes and everything is totally off and you think its good to go, I'd take a powerball to it to polish out the minor scratches.. Hope this helps out people.. Yay my first DIY![/u][/i]
Old 06-11-2009, 12:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

that sucks man. I think i would have done the same thing not thinking just trying to clean it. good luck cleaning it
Old 06-11-2009, 12:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

thats just bad luck

hurts to see that
Old 06-11-2009, 12:18 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I'm thinking about cleaning it off with a mean green pad, but I'm worried about messing up the coating... I think I'm screwed here..
Old 06-11-2009, 12:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I say just put some more oil on them and make a custom print header. lol you could possibly try some alcohol, but I am not too sure. good luck
Old 06-11-2009, 12:25 AM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I would try that scrubbing pad with some soap and water when that header is completely cooled

It might leave some scratch marks. If that's the case you need to go over the entire header to make sure that the small scratches match over the entire header. If you dont like the scratch marks you can always respray the header with a hi temp spray paint or send it off to Jet-Hot coatings for a new dip.
Old 06-11-2009, 12:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

(fail 4) You bought AND coated a megan header. lol...
Old 06-11-2009, 12:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

i did the same thing, i was actually leaning over to install my vaccuum line tee and the engine was still hot (not running) and smelled burning so i step back and my jacket was touching the header, it wasnt coated so i just waited til it cooled down then scraped off the burnt plastic lining from my jacket, if you are s/c u might as well wrap the header to soak that heat, less hassle, i like the fact i can hold my header even after a 30 min drive lol