Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

HELP - Car Slips on Hill

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 03:32 PM
SL Member

Default HELP - Car Slips on Hill

I have an 09' tC that is a 5 sppeed manual. Whenever I park on a steep hill/drive way and engage it into gear without using the ebrake, I've noticed that the car slips slowly, stops, then slips slowly again . However, this doesn't happen when parked at a not so steep hill. Is this normal? I have 30K miles right now and wondering if I should bring it in to have a look at the transmission.

Thanks,
Lewis
Old 01-15-2010, 03:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

it depends on how steep the hill is, but the idea behind leaving the car on a hill in gear to prevent it from rolling away is a matter of gravity versus the compression of the engine. if the gravity is strong enough due to the slope of the hill, then yes, it might be strong enough to pull the car down the hill even in gear.

that is why you should also always use the parking brake and leave the car in either 1st gear or reverse (depending on which way the car is facing the decent of the hill.
Old 01-15-2010, 03:42 PM
SL Member

wow the e-brake isnt made to look cool. use that thing
Old 01-15-2010, 03:46 PM
SL Member

lol....I know, I use the ebrake too but it badly needs an adjustment. Just wondering if it was a transmission defect because that has never happened to me before.
Old 01-15-2010, 03:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

if your transmission was defective, it would more likely come up while driving than parking. if the clutch was slipping, or a gear wasn't engaging or grinding etc.

but it just has to do with the slope of the hill. and if it is really steep, leave the shifter in reverse or first depending on which one is the opposite direction of the slope to keep the car from moving.
Old 01-15-2010, 04:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you're not using your parking brake, I really hope you're at least turning your front wheels the proper direction being on a hill so your car doesn't roll out into the middle of traffic or back into another car.

In case you missed it in driver's ed, if you're parking on a hill (especially a steep one) you should always point your front wheels at the curb (if there is one). Then if you're facing down the hill and it starts rolling, it will roll in toward the curb and stop. If you're facing up the hill, it will start to roll backwards slightly but the rear wheels will end up hitting the curb first and stopping your car.
Old 01-15-2010, 04:39 PM
SL Member

Thanks for the input, guys. I guess there is nothing wrong. I just need to get my ebrake adjusted and then I'm set.

Originally Posted by ack154
If you're not using your parking brake, I really hope you're at least turning your front wheels the proper direction being on a hill so your car doesn't roll out into the middle of traffic or back into another car.

In case you missed it in driver's ed, if you're parking on a hill (especially a steep one) you should always point your front wheels at the curb (if there is one). Then if you're facing down the hill and it starts rolling, it will roll in toward the curb and stop. If you're facing up the hill, it will start to roll backwards slightly but the rear wheels will end up hitting the curb first and stopping your car.
I turn my front wheels to the curb when I park in downtown but this isn't the case since I was parked on the driveway. We tend to have the steepest driveways in south Texas due to flooding.
Old 01-15-2010, 04:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

While we are on the subject of ebrakes who has the write up for adjusting it?
Old 01-15-2010, 05:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

just search, they're DIY's on how to adjust your ebrake.
Old 01-15-2010, 06:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That isn't your transimssion slipping it's your engine turning over. If you put it in gear in the opposite driection of the hill, first up hill or reverse facing down hill you will end up turning the engine over backwards and that is not good for certain things like the oil pump or the timing chain and works against the normal compression cycle which helps keep the engine from turning over. You are also putting a lot of static stress on the drive train and applying pressure to gears and CV Joints pushing through the lubes and making metal to metal contact which is also no good.

Check your rear pads for wear and replace if needed or adjust the brake cable IF the pads are ok.
Old 01-15-2010, 07:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Note.. you need to check the SHOES, not the pads, in the rear. But only if adjusting the ebrake does not fix it. The tC uses top hat style rotors, meaning there is a small drum brake inside the rear disk brake rotor that is used for the ebrake. So the pads (disc brakes) are not being used. The shoes (drum brakes) are. But those should not be worn down unless you drove around with the ebrake engaged and burned them up.

There are DIY's for adjusting it.. and it is very easy. DONT adjust it in the console, adjust at the rear wheel. There is a plug in the rotor to allow access to the drum brake adjuster inside. Take the plug out, rotate the rotor so the hole is at the bottom, turn the adjustor, put plug back in. The writeups can give more specific info if you need.
Old 01-15-2010, 07:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thumbs down

.......at this thread!!
Old 01-15-2010, 07:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

if you have an 09 and your e brake shoes are bad then you are doing ____ that you shouldn't. not saying you do and that is your problem but if it is, damn.

Get that ebrake adjusted before you mess something up or your car rolls down a hill, lol
Old 01-15-2010, 08:21 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by 06sciontcnda704
.......at this thread!!
^ Thanks for your great contribution to this thread.

Originally Posted by Jan06xB
That isn't your transimssion slipping it's your engine turning over. If you put it in gear in the opposite driection of the hill, first up hill or reverse facing down hill you will end up turning the engine over backwards and that is not good for certain things like the oil pump or the timing chain and works against the normal compression cycle which helps keep the engine from turning over. You are also putting a lot of static stress on the drive train and applying pressure to gears and CV Joints pushing through the lubes and making metal to metal contact which is also no good.

Check your rear pads for wear and replace if needed or adjust the brake cable IF the pads are ok.
^ Yeah, I kind of figured that it would put some strain on the engine, but it was a temporary solution to the mt. everest driveway. Sucks that the ebrake from the factory comes with so much slack.

Originally Posted by engifineer
Note.. you need to check the SHOES, not the pads, in the rear. But only if adjusting the ebrake does not fix it. The tC uses top hat style rotors, meaning there is a small drum brake inside the rear disk brake rotor that is used for the ebrake. So the pads (disc brakes) are not being used. The shoes (drum brakes) are. But those should not be worn down unless you drove around with the ebrake engaged and burned them up.

There are DIY's for adjusting it.. and it is very easy. DONT adjust it in the console, adjust at the rear wheel. There is a plug in the rotor to allow access to the drum brake adjuster inside. Take the plug out, rotate the rotor so the hole is at the bottom, turn the adjustor, put plug back in. The writeups can give more specific info if you need.
^ Good point. Never initially adjust the ebrake at the console as you may cause it to stretch even further/snap. Adjust first at drums and then slightly adjust at console if needed.

Originally Posted by CSUnited14
While we are on the subject of ebrakes who has the write up for adjusting it?
^ Check out this link: https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sho...=adjust&page=3

Post #45 has a picture of the gear that you need to move in order to adjust the ebrake. Here's how to do it.
1. Take off your rear wheels without your ebrake engaged (common sense to engage ebrake at the time of jacking up the car).
2. Find a small round plug on the wheel hub. Remove the plug.
3. Spin your wheel hub so that the plug is in the 6 o' clock position.
4. Stick a small flat head screw driver in there and move each tooth up (push from bottom to top) on the gear one by one until you cannot spin the hub any further (spin hub slightly everytime you move each tooth to check).
5. Use the same screw driver technique from step 4, but this time, move down two teeth on the gear (push from top to bottom).
6. Insert plug back in and install wheels.

Should be set to go. I'm going to get these adjusted this weekend. Someone let me know if I missed anything.
Old 01-15-2010, 10:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Most came adjusted properly. Mine was very good from the factory.. some though needed to adjust it early for some reason. Some cases are most likely kids who go around ripping the ebrake all the time. Others were just not adjusted right from the factory
Old 01-15-2010, 11:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thumbs down

anytime.......sci tx on
Old 01-19-2010, 03:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If there is a star wheel in there then it probably can be automatically adjusted by applying the hand brake on and off several times while backing up like our xB brakes adjust with the hand brake or pedal.
Old 01-20-2010, 01:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

There is a star wheel, but I dont think it has the auto adjuster arm like many drum brakes do unfortunately.
Old 01-20-2010, 06:11 AM
SL Member

Yeah, it is a star wheel without auto adjustment. Just did it today - now my car fully locks in 6 clicks.
Old 01-20-2010, 04:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

put it into gear and use the ebrake?