Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

How To - TurboEast Electronic Shift Kit (E.S.K) - ISSUES

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2005, 01:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by English
What map did you have programmed in your e-manage? Obviously you can't just plug it in and expect it to be perfect? Does it have a turbo map in it? You need to dyno tune an emanage for it to work correctly
No, no maps loaded. If you install emamage leaving all the tables 0 and dials at 0 (set the switches and jumpers)...it should be stock.
Old 12-05-2005, 01:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by paul_dezod
Originally Posted by mattssi
Originally Posted by English
What map did you have programmed in your e-manage? Obviously you can't just plug it in and expect it to be perfect? Does it have a turbo map in it? You need to dyno tune an emanage for it to work correctly
There is no map, it was supposed to make no changes at all...just run as it would if it were the stock ecu.
He did not set the jumpers properly.
I will make the changes this evening and have it flying. Thank you very much.

I will say, the Dezod harness is FIRST CLASS. Makes the taps very easy and the connections are strong...no fear of them breaking free at all.
Old 12-05-2005, 01:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by mattssi
Glad it worked out for you!
Mattssi - much owed to you - it was your direction that lead to them. Props to ya....
Old 12-05-2005, 02:39 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

Originally Posted by ScionDad

I will say, the Dezod harness is FIRST CLASS. Makes the taps very easy and the connections are strong...no fear of them breaking free at all.
Thanks for the kind words. Feel free to write a review. *cough*

Old 12-05-2005, 02:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Im going to order mine

good job ScionDad! Good luck with everything.

Keep us updated with everything
Old 12-05-2005, 03:41 PM
PT
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sorry Sciondad for purposely getting flamed at. I did that so people will recognize my name now and won't just look over my posts. I guess it worked haha.
Old 12-05-2005, 04:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by PT
Sorry Sciondad for purposely getting flamed at. I did that so people will recognize my name now and won't just look over my posts. I guess it worked haha.
No worries....
Old 12-05-2005, 04:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Ouch. so $500 for this upgrade huh?
Old 12-05-2005, 04:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hey ScionDad, do you know if the only place to get the ecu harness from is zpi? Their price is kind of steep at $295... was hoping for it to be more around $200. it doesn't seem like such a complicated part to warrant that kind of price, especially if it costs more than the ESK itself.
Old 12-05-2005, 04:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

This

Thread

Is

Useless

Without

Vids!

awesome upgrade sciondad, dezod never fails
Old 12-05-2005, 04:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Absolutely badass ScionDad. Can't wait till you turn that boost up and test it out.
Old 12-05-2005, 04:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've seen so many people ruin auto trannies with these things. This is how it works - an auto trans' shifts are based on pressure from hydraulic fluid inside the transmission. Think of it as a series of "switches" that switch through ears when certain passages' hydraulic fluid reach specific pressures. It's really a LOT more complicated than that, but that's the easiest way to explain it so people who don't know will understand.

If you ever get a chance to look at the inside of an auto tranny for any car do it - it looks like the inside of a damned ant hill. There are a billion little hydro passages and everything is pretty small and exact.

These shift kits increase the pressure of the electronic mechanisms inside the trans that move this fluid around to increase pressure and make the trans shift a lot harder and faster... it'd be the same as slamming through gears in a manual trans - except worse since an auto trans is a lot more prone to failure than a manual trans (which, by contrast, are pretty simple in their inner-workings).

These shifter kits are pretty much all the same for all auto cars, and contrary to anything the manufacturers say, they WILL reduce the life of your trans by quite a lot.

In other words it'll basically turn the longevity of your Toyota transmission to that of a GM transmission. ;)
Old 12-05-2005, 05:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've thought about this quite alot and here is my conclusion regarding the harness.

First, it is imperative that if a harness is used - it has to be TOP QUALITY. If not, a bad connection can really cause problems since every signal to/from the ECU will go thru the harness. Making these is a feat of art to say the least. Alot of connections. Most harnesses like these are usually in the $200+ range.

Second - the harness is not necessary for this install. 2 wires would be cut and the other 2 wires merely tap for power. However, if something were to happen to the ECU - the dealers might have an issue if they see 2 cut wires connected back together. However, if done properly - $200 for the E.S.K is a good deal.

Third - ZPI might be able to reduce the harness price for straight thru since no taps are required, I don't know, but I'll ask. They wire their own up from Greddy harnesses if I understand it correctly. I have a call in to Kenny now to see if maybe they might do a complete package - harness and E.S.K all together.

I presume Turboeast.com does their installs without a harness kit. They just cut and tap.
Old 12-05-2005, 05:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by i64X
I've seen so many people ruin auto trannies with these things. This is how it works - an auto trans' shifts are based on pressure from hydraulic fluid inside the transmission. Think of it as a series of "switches" that switch through ears when certain passages' hydraulic fluid reach specific pressures. It's really a LOT more complicated than that, but that's the easiest way to explain it so people who don't know will understand.

If you ever get a chance to look at the inside of an auto tranny for any car do it - it looks like the inside of a damned ant hill. There are a billion little hydro passages and everything is pretty small and exact.

These shift kits increase the pressure of the electronic mechanisms inside the trans that move this fluid around to increase pressure and make the trans shift a lot harder and faster... it'd be the same as slamming through gears in a manual trans - except worse since an auto trans is a lot more prone to failure than a manual trans (which, by contrast, are pretty simple in their inner-workings).

These shifter kits are pretty much all the same for all auto cars, and contrary to anything the manufacturers say, they WILL reduce the life of your trans by quite a lot.

In other words it'll basically turn the longevity of your Toyota transmission to that of a GM transmission. ;)
That's kind of the cool part. On-Off Switch. The auto has a built in factory cooler - lines running to the radiator. Another one would help keep the temps down, esp with boost - the REAL tranny killer is heat.

Also, I'll take a GM turbo 400 tranny with a B&M shift kit ANY day.
Old 12-05-2005, 05:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That's kind of the cool part. On-Off Switch. The auto has a built in factory cooler - lines running to the radiator. Another one would help keep the temps down, esp with boost - the REAL tranny killer is heat.

could you explain this a little further please? so if the ESK is kept "on" the entire time, it will decrease the tranny lifetime like i64X said?

do you mean it's cool because with a switch wired in, we could turn on the ESK only when we feel the need for harder shifting? thanks...
Old 12-05-2005, 06:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ehong81

could you explain this a little further please? so if the ESK is kept "on" the entire time, it will decrease the tranny lifetime like i64X said?

do you mean it's cool because with a switch wired in, we could turn on the ESK only when we feel the need for harder shifting? thanks...
Yes, you could wire in a switch and turn it on and off when you want to.

As for shortening the tranny life - I doubt it would be anything noticable. In fact, as I understand it - the Greddy EManage Ultimate has the possibility of doing this exact same thing this box is doing. Turboeast has been doing the upgrade to the Lexus series for 3 or 4 years....I'm thinking not much of an issue.

Heat is the biggest killer of automatics. Keeping it cool and maintained is the key to long life autos. Nice thing is our automatics already have the tranny lines going to the radiator for external cooling. Nice touch IMO from the factory.

Tow alot and your tranny will die MUCH faster than this kit could ever kill it. It's because of the heat.

If it does die down the road...remove the harness and take it in.
Old 12-05-2005, 06:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

As for shortening the tranny life - I doubt it would be anything noticable. In fact, as I understand it - the Greddy EManage Ultimate has the possibility of doing this exact same thing this box is doing. Turboeast has been doing the upgrade to the Lexus series for 3 or 4 years....I'm thinking not much of an issue.

Heat is the biggest killer of automatics. Keeping it cool and maintained is the key to long life autos. Nice thing is our automatics already have the tranny lines going to the radiator for external cooling. Nice touch IMO from the factory.

Tow alot and your tranny will die MUCH faster than this kit could ever kill it. It's because of the heat.

haha thanks... maybe I should wait a little while and see how it works out for you =P
Old 12-05-2005, 06:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

haha thanks... maybe I should wait a little while and see how it works out for you =P
You should have seen me saying prayers when I first hooked it up. I'm thinking OK...If I have to go buy another ECU....I'm gonna be highly ticked off.
Old 12-05-2005, 07:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Anybody install ATF coolers yet? I smelled mine burning while mountain carving about a week ago =(.
Old 12-05-2005, 07:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by mushrew
Anybody install ATF coolers yet? I smelled mine burning while mountain carving about a week ago =(.
No, but the kits are really inexpensive and easy to install. I would also recommend going synthetic ATF....

Quick Reply: How To - TurboEast Electronic Shift Kit (E.S.K) - ISSUES