Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Hydrolocking

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2005, 04:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by senseiturtle
Originally Posted by TurboCustomz
Im curious, are you implying here that the AWD DSM was turbo? Since you made a point to say n/a for the other one.

Yup... I'm stating it was turbo.

This is south louisiana. Rains nearly as much as Seattle. Combine that with the fact that 60% of Baton Rouge is classified as a flood zone, and you're gonna lose some turbo cars as well.

However, this DSM is the one guy I dont know personally. He used to be a regular. The other two I do know... Alex's SpecV is up for sale with a rebuilt motor, and Daryl's got a new 420a that he's turbocharging in his garage before dropping it in.
So you are saying that he sucked water into his intake, it passed threw a VERY hot spinning turbo, passed threw his intercooler, and made it into the intake in a large enough quantity to actually hydrolock his engine???

Charles
Old 11-30-2005, 04:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

A buddy here in Phoenix has a tc that hydrolocked. If i remember correctly, a bunch of water just splashed up on the filter. They ended up replacing the short block.
Old 11-30-2005, 04:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by sprslug_182
A buddy here in Phoenix has a tc that hydrolocked. If i remember correctly, a bunch of water just splashed up on the filter. They ended up replacing the short block.

did he have the little grill incerts removed?? that is the only way i could see water getting in there but at WOT im sure it could suck up with all the vacume pressure
Old 11-30-2005, 08:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

not sure exactly how it happened.
Old 11-30-2005, 09:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TurboCustomz
So you are saying that he sucked water into his intake, it passed threw a VERY hot spinning turbo, passed threw his intercooler, and made it into the intake in a large enough quantity to actually hydrolock his engine???

Charles

Yes.

Here are a few more examples of turbocharged cars fighting with hydrolock. While I can't provide a personal story to back up the one I mentioned eariler, hydrolocking a turbocharged car DOES happen.

Here are some quotes and links you might find relevant.

First is a turbo'd mazda MP3. Water destroyed his turbo, but thankfully the engine was snuffed before water made it through the intercooler.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/528054

In October 2004, the car injested a little water with the super low air intake (redesigned) and it was also my fault. In a absolute fall Michigan downpour, I couldn't see a thing, and I ran into a large "puddle" of water. Things would never be the same. I knew right away what happened, steam was coming from everywhere, the car died right in the middle of it.

However, the turbo saved my engine. Nearly all my pipes were filled with water. (to see how bad, check out this 5mb video: Near Hydrolock!) The turbo snuffed out the airflow because of the weight of the water, and shut the engine down due to lack of air before all that water gushed into it. I spent about 4 hours on a miserable Sunday afternoon emptying all the pipes and spent about 30 minutes trying to get it to crank over. Finally it started up... flashing check engine lights all over the place for the first 3 seconds- so I let my scanner help me out- simply misfire codes, but it was running! After about an hour of letting the car idle, clearing the codes, and GENTLY revving to 3k, she got driven home! There were no bent rods, compression was good, WHEW!!

Next, comes the FAQ's for the 5S-FE forums... re: turbocharging the 5S-FE

http://www.6gc.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=5574

With a CAI intake, just like on an NA engine, you have the ability to hydrolock. It's not the same however. Now, any water that wants to make it to your engine has to travel through many feet of your piping, through spinning turbo fans, through an intercooler only meant to take gases, past a BOV and finally into the intake manifold- where your car dies. Of course, instead of maybe 1-2 PSI of pressure from an NA engine, now you have upwards of 8 psi; so the force is a lot higher. It comes out to about the same risk.. All that extra pressure forces the water through more feet of intake piping and intercooler. Be careful driving over puddles, be careful in the rain, AND DONT FOLLOW BEHIND TRUCKS/SUVS THAT KICK UP WATER. If you have a variable boost controller, it might be a good idea to turn the boost way down to 4 PSI or something horrible small when it rains.

Granted... i agree that it should be more difficult to hydrolock a turbocharged car, but it happens.

I'll report back the extent of the damage once I hear about it.

Flame me all you want... but if you want to take the rish of losing your motor, by all means, have at it. Just know exactly what's at stake , and if you're in Baton Rouge, I'll be happy to pick you up from the side of the road.
Old 12-02-2005, 12:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

The chances are minimal.
If youre really that worried about it. Just get an AEM bypass.
You guys are funny talking about "risks" but you take for granted the risks that come with ANY kinda mods, or even better...racing your cars and putting yourself into dangerous situations. Yo ucan be the best driver in the world, but dont forget...youre still on the road with other drivers...
If youre a good enough driver to avoid dangerous sitautions on the road, then youre a good enough driver to avoid driving thru huge puddles.
Common sense people.
And for added security, once again...AEM Bypass Valve.
Old 12-02-2005, 02:20 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

the way i see it, it just makes more sense to get the injen intake and keep it as CAI in the summer and fall time and in SRI in the winter and spring to avoid snow and rain. think about it, theres colder air hitting and flowing through the engine bay in the winter so SRI it be just fine.

just to note i want the intake because the stock is soooo restrictive... and not because iam into street racing n all that risky stuff

SRI form if wayyy better then stock...n i dont mind losing the 3 wph or so by not keeping it as CAI

just my cents...hope this info helps party ppl
Old 12-02-2005, 11:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i have a question/

are there pros/cons with getting a bypass?

I got injen CAI on order.. and i told my friend about this.. and he said just get a BYPASS...and i live on a ISLAND with ALOT OF RAIN.

With CAI and Bypass installed.. i cant really ram through puddles? because we have ALOT of puddles when it rains!

Slow on puddles and go 35?

Our speed limit on island is 45 BTW.. so theres only a few people out there who drive 60 on the main roads
Old 12-02-2005, 12:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by Immune
i have a question/

are there pros/cons with getting a bypass?

I got injen CAI on order.. and i told my friend about this.. and he said just get a BYPASS...and i live on a ISLAND with ALOT OF RAIN.

With CAI and Bypass installed.. i cant really ram through puddles? because we have ALOT of puddles when it rains!

Slow on puddles and go 35?

Our speed limit on island is 45 BTW.. so theres only a few people out there who drive 60 on the main roads
Contrary to some beilief, you are not pulling any hot air via the bypass unless you submerge the filter. At least with the AEM. There will be a slight disturbance to the airflow because of the cut in the piping, but that is about it. And yes, drive slow through those huge puddles, but you should do that in ANY car.
Old 12-11-2005, 09:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So what type of BYPASS can i get with lets say the INJEN CAI??

Is it just a Universal Bypass? Anyone have a CAI with bypass installed? I would like to see pics
Old 12-11-2005, 11:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

we already talked about this. the topic is called:
"HAS ANYONE ACTUALLY HYDROLOCKED WITH A CAI".

finished!