Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

K & N Air Filter?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 12:25 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default K & N Air Filter?

Since gas prices are getting out of control and I need to replace my air filter soon anyway, I'm thinking of buying a K & N air filter for my 2005 tC. Does anyone have experience with the K & N filters? Are there air filters out there that are better and cheaper? I found one on Amazon for $33.83 with free shipping.
Old 05-23-2007, 12:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Search...
Old 05-23-2007, 12:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scinergy

Thats a good price they're usually 60+, from what I've seen somewhere on SL they dyno'd the filter and showed it to lose about 2 hp and I think gained a little torque but personally it's not that big of a deal.
Old 05-23-2007, 12:36 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by tCizzler
Search...
I tried, but the search function on this site sucks.
Old 05-23-2007, 12:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ok here’s the skinny. K&N filters (Drop-in) like bigMURR said, have dyno’d to lose a couple HP and gain a couple TQ. Although most will say it “feels” more powerful, but only on the highway. And sounds a little louder. Also, they use an oil that some say can get on your MAF sensor and mess it up. Others say it lets more dirt in because of the higher flow.

There are arguments to both sides but….

In my experience, my MAF sensor got all oiled up and had to be cleaned (although no noticeable damage)and also the inside of my intake pipe was turning black from too much dirt, after only a couple of months of the filter install.

If you want some better advice, Get a CAI or SRI and let off the gas pedal. You will see some better gains. Whether you choose K&N or some other brand, I would not get a drop in, unless it’s from the factory.

Overall the key to better gas mileage is to take it easy on the right pedal.
Old 05-23-2007, 12:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Tom_P
Search...
I tried, but the search function on this site sucks.
Always works fine for me... don't bother with the search box at the top of the page... click the red SEARCH button and go from there... you can specify a lot more. Think of it as an "advanced" search.
Old 05-23-2007, 01:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

if youre concerned about the oil, you can do 2 things, oil to the recommended level or..... get another paper filter. Either way, you likely wont feel the loss or gain if there really is any. But you'll help the MPG = )
Old 05-23-2007, 11:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I don't see how this has anything to do with gas prices. In any case, I have the K&N drop-in filter. It doesn't do anything other than being reusable.

There is the debate as he said about the oil getting on the MAF sensor. That is avoidable if you clean it to the T.
Old 05-24-2007, 12:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Spect2K3
I don't see how this has anything to do with gas prices. In any case, I have the K&N drop-in filter. It doesn't do anything other than being reusable.
I think he meant that as a question...will the K&N give better MPGs.

Originally Posted by CuRiOuSfIsH
oil to the recommended level
Not sure if that was intended to be a "smart remark", but i used to be stingy as he11 with the oil until one day i just stopped using it all together, and it still stayed in the filter media and got on the MAF for atleast 2 to 3 cleanings after that.

Originally Posted by Spect2K3
There is the debate as he said about the oil getting on the MAF sensor. That is avoidable if you clean it to the T.
See above comment.... Although i have to say that is the same will ALL oiled filters i have ever used. I am not picking on K&N. My weapon R that i have now was way worse (oil wise) than my K&N was. However i stopped using the oil all together on this as well and it seems to be perfect.
Old 05-24-2007, 12:09 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I know that air filters don't make a significant difference with gas mileage. I guess I'm looking for improved air flow and an air filter that will stand up and I won't have to worry about changing for a long time. I bought the K & N filter off of Amazon yesterday, so I'll see how it goes.
Old 05-24-2007, 12:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

After about a mopnth or so of driving on it, if you have the time or even care. Take the intake hose off of the throttle body and rub your finger on the inside of teh hose and chack for dirt. Let us know what you find
Old 05-24-2007, 11:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by CuRiOuSfIsH
oil to the recommended level
Not sure if that was intended to be a "smart remark", but i used to be stingy as he11 with the oil until one day i just stopped using it all together, and it still stayed in the filter media and got on the MAF for atleast 2 to 3 cleanings after that.
not at all.... I was lost on the exact words to type in. I know there is no "recommended level", however, most ppl I know that had oil on their MAF was b/c they were afraid of not oiling enough and put more oil than how the filter was pre-oiled.