Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

K&N CAI QUESTION

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2005, 09:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default K&N CAI QUESTION

What is yalls opinion of the K&N CAI? I am thinking about gettin one and wanted to get an opinion about it. I searched but came up with nothing of what I was looking for. Thanks
Old 05-13-2005, 03:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Are you sure you used the search correctly, i have heard alot of good reviews, and some bad ones, but mostly people are worried about "hydrolocking" which is when a cold air intake which is usually placed behind the driver side wheel to collect cold air, sucks in water accidently causing water to get into your enigine causing engine shutdown basically.

But i am still getting the k&n cai since, well the chance of hydrolocking is about as high as me becoming a korean president. ^_^
Old 05-13-2005, 03:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The only "down side" i can think of with mine is that its damn loud...as my now 3 paged post on this page talks about. Other than that its great. And personally, if I hear any more crap about hydrolocking, I think im gonna vomit. The only thing Ive heard about it is from some guy who knew a guy who read about it on an accord thread or somthing. Anyway,,,get it...youll like it.
Old 05-13-2005, 03:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Unique Scionikz
SL Member

Originally Posted by The Instigator
The only "down side" i can think of with mine is that its damn loud...as my now 3 paged post on this page talks about. Other than that its great. And personally, if I hear any more crap about hydrolocking, I think im gonna vomit. The only thing Ive heard about it is from some guy who knew a guy who read about it on an accord thread or somthing. Anyway,,,get it...youll like it.
THANK YOU! I dont think its that loud... but i agree with you on the hydrolocking crap.
Old 05-13-2005, 04:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by 05_scion_tc
Originally Posted by The Instigator
THANK YOU! I dont think its that loud... but i agree with you on the hydrolocking crap.
Weve been going back and forth about what is loud, but I have a stick and that may make a difference. Its geared more aggressively than your auto - 1st is ridiculously short - so it revs faster in each gear which will make a difference in noise.
Old 05-13-2005, 02:59 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

i have 1 and i love it. just dont be dumb and rev your motor over a puddle of water and if its raining take it easy on the gas pedal. i live in miami and when it rains it pours. My car is still running like a champ. its all in the power of the eyes and right foot.
Old 05-15-2005, 06:52 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

get it its worth it i love mine as well
Old 05-15-2005, 07:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You will love it....just do yourself a favor and buy some Blue locktight from the parts store. That way, you won't have to take your tire off to tighten the bolts in the wheel well a few 1000 miles down the road.

4000 miles later and I just had to do it. $1.50 would have saved me some trouble.
Old 05-15-2005, 10:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ScionDad
You will love it....just do yourself a favor and buy some Blue locktight from the parts store. That way, you won't have to take your tire off to tighten the bolts in the wheel well a few 1000 miles down the road.

4000 miles later and I just had to do it. $1.50 would have saved me some trouble.
I'm not sure what you mean by that... can you explain for me? I just ordered my intake and i'm probably gonna install it myself.
Old 05-16-2005, 02:32 AM
5 Year Member

I got mine a week ago and it is great! It sounds good and looks good as well! Do yourself a favor and purchase yourself one.
Old 05-16-2005, 03:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by | Greg2385 |
Originally Posted by ScionDad

I'm not sure what you mean by that... can you explain for me? I just ordered my intake and i'm probably gonna install it myself.
When you install it, part of the process is removing the drivers side tire and wheelwell shroud (plastic piece...really easy to do.) The filter part goes in there and the tube feeds up, into the engine bay. That allows for the cold air and not hot engine bay air. Well, there is a bracket that bolts up there as well, from the tube to the frame. The bracket bolts loosened up, and the tube would move around. When I put it in, I made sure to use the supplied lock washers (well, so they said) and tightened them up. Worked great until now, 4000 miles later. Nuts backed off and were loose.

The parts store has a product (very common) called lock tight. It's in a small tube and is a liquid. You put it on the threads of a bolt, then put the nut on and it locks the nut on and keeps vibration from breaking them loose, once dried. Blue is temporary, meaning you can break the lock with a wrench as normal.

My suggestion is to pick a small tube of lock tight up any autoparts store and apply it to the bolts before assembly in the wheelwell. Might save you a tire, wheelwell removal down the road for only a few dollars.