Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

K&N Drop in Filter??

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2006, 09:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default K&N Drop in Filter??

Is it any good? Does it do anything at all? Performance improvements?

Sound improvement? Anything. or is it just a gimmick?

Last edited by MR_LUV; 07-20-2021 at 09:28 AM. Reason: Awarded 15 Yr Badge
Old 02-15-2006, 09:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

drop in filter won't give u louder sound at all. it simply replaced ur stock filter.

there's TRD filter for like $50... but i highly doubt it's gonna give u 5WHP just for replacing an air filter. i say save that $$ for something else.
Old 02-15-2006, 10:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scion Justice League of America
SL Member

The only thing it will really give you is the ability to reuse it, by cleaning it... That's about it.
Old 02-16-2006, 12:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

wow that sucks why do they market them as a performance part?? kinda retarted just say they are reusable and efficent youll still get good sales jsut from a diffrent market....
Old 02-16-2006, 06:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i think the drop in filters filter better than regular filter too, thus the performance part
Old 02-16-2006, 06:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

More airflow, and the filter basically lasts forever.
Old 02-16-2006, 07:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I would like to add to this thread......I have one, it works great, and it DOES increase your horsepower, not alot. as for HP gains, im sure you could check K&N website for that.....
every car is different though
what the drop in filters do really well is increase the amount of air that pass through the filter, versus a stock filter. compared to a CAI, its not. they are two different things.........

also not that it matters to some people, A CAI is not CARB leagal, and will not pass smog, on a brand new car like a Tc, it wont matter for a few years though.

both my cars have drop in's I have used a CAI on my accord, and other then alot of excess noise which sounds cool, to some people I did not notice a huge difference.
Old 02-16-2006, 07:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by captianinsano
wow that sucks why do they market them as a performance part??
cuz it's TRD
Old 05-08-2006, 05:03 AM
Banned
SL Member

Originally Posted by Kilo6_one
.....I have one, it works great, and it DOES increase your horsepower, not alot...

what the drop in filters do really well is increase the amount of air that pass through the filter, versus a stock filter. compared to a CAI, its not. they are two different things.........

both my cars have drop in's I have used a CAI on my accord, and other then alot of excess noise which sounds cool, to some people I did not notice a huge difference.
i would like to 2nd what Kilo6 one posted. Just put in the k&n drop in and realized a bit throatier throttle tone and a tad (maybe 1 or 2) more horses. SOund is the more impressive difference. i have a dc exhaust too and the combo sounds nice.

exactly. When i swapped, i noticed the stock filter (denso made) was about 2-3 times the size of the k&n. Took up a lot more space in the air box and much more restrictive.

i find that most CAI's are overhyped and don't really produce that much more power anyway (lets face it, unless your going FI, there really is no Magic mod that adds significant horsepower. Unless, you were able to tune your a/f and timing as well to take advantage of the increased air flow) so this drop in seems to be the perfect choice for me.

i may eventually fiddle with the intake system some more (remove silencer, replace some piping, etc..) i already drilled honeycomb in the lower driver side grill that covers the compartment where the stock intake piping orginates..hopefully giving me cooler intake temps at speed.

anyway, hope this helps someone!
Old 05-08-2006, 05:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by 2LoTc
i already drilled honeycomb in the lower driver side grill that covers the compartment where the stock intake piping orginates..hopefully giving me cooler intake temps at speed.

anyway, hope this helps someone!
I was thinking about doing that, or removing it altogether, but then I was wondering, why would they (Toyota) put it there in the first place?

Last edited by MR_LUV; 07-20-2021 at 08:54 AM. Reason: Awarded 15 Yr Badge
Old 05-08-2006, 05:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

actually what you can do is do a drop in, then run a pipe from the fender (where the stock box hooks up) and run it into the front bumper, its unseen and will draw a cooler charge from the front of the car, once i get mine done ill post up a picture.... but i did it to my accord and it made a diffence, also swaping out the rubber tube between the box and the throttle body helps too with heatsoak DR isotope sells a kit for that, but you can buy a 90 degree and a 30 degree intake pipe and make your own.
Old 05-08-2006, 05:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i recently brought a k&n high flow filter and i instantly noticed an improvement.... i had my 400 LB friend riding shotgun and it accelerated like it was only me in the car
Old 05-08-2006, 02:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hmmm....I only wonder what would happen if when u dropped in ur filter u kicked out your fat @#$ friend....
Old 05-08-2006, 03:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

LMAO.......no need for camber kit then
Old 05-08-2006, 04:25 PM
Banned
SL Member

haha. yeah i had a 300- friend riding shotgun to and from Spring Nationals..He took up so much room, i couldn't shift in to 5th or reverse!

but back to the orignial point. Yes, the K&N does flow significantly more air and i for one, am satisfied with my purchase.

Has anyone removed the silencer from the stock intake system??
Old 05-08-2006, 04:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yes, i did and it sounds throaty......very nice sound.
K&N actually claims 10% better gas milage and some gains in HP, a dyno result would be great.
Im guessing it creates about 1-3 Hp MAYBE, but the claims of a CAI are inflated as well.
Old 05-08-2006, 05:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Just put in the k&n drop in and realized a bit throatier throttle tone and a tad (maybe 1 or 2) more horses.
no way did you feel 1 - 2 hp. now i would ASSUME it would give you 1 bhp, and the advantage to just clean the filter when needed. but if your gonna keep the stock air box, i would just buy cheap $5 paper filters untill you change to an SR intake, or CAI

my .02
Old 05-08-2006, 06:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionTific

SL Member

Originally Posted by Kilo6_one
yes, i did and it sounds throaty......very nice sound.
K&N actually claims 10% better gas milage and some gains in HP, a dyno result would be great.
Im guessing it creates about 1-3 Hp MAYBE, but the claims of a CAI are inflated as well.
You'll find a comparision in THIS thread. They show the K&N drop-in actually loses 1 HP... which isn't noticable and has as much affect as changing motor oil brands. It's a cheap noisemaker mod, and in my case, keeps the car CARB legal.
Old 05-08-2006, 10:40 PM
Banned
SL Member

Originally Posted by BrEaK_AwaY
Just put in the k&n drop in and realized a bit throatier throttle tone and a tad (maybe 1 or 2) more horses.
no way did you feel 1 - 2 hp. now i would ASSUME it would give you 1 bhp, and the advantage to just clean the filter when needed. but if your gonna keep the stock air box, i would just buy cheap $5 paper filters untill you change to an SR intake, or CAI

my .02
haha..sorry GOD of scions! I guess YOU know what i felt, huh? First of all, if you don't think you can feel 2HP, go test out some 4HP and 6HP lawnmowers.

Listen kid, i usually make it a point to ignore ignorant kids who can't even legally drink yet, but... i've been driving the tc 30,000 miles with the stock air intake, i swapped in the K&N drop in and noticed a difference. Nothing drastic, just a throatier tone and a tad more power , i said "MAYBE 1-2". I ALSO have an exhaust, so it is ABSOLUTELY possible that the K&N drop in freed up a couple more horses. I can tell you that the drop in is about half the mass and restriction of the stock filter, so if you believe that a big long metal pipe leading down into your bumper with filter on the end is going to net you any Significant HP, it stands to reason that a filter half the size of stock will allow more unrestricted air flow and a "tad" more power.

well i'm not wasting my money on a SR or CAI..and it is retarded to go out and continually buy Cheap $5 paper filters when i could just get a k&n drop in with a 10year, 1,000,000 warranty for $30.
Old 05-08-2006, 11:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

true that.....and CAI's are and can be considered expensive noise makers.
I actually dislike the "honda/rice" hollow sound they make, they dont fool anyone, you hear someone with a CAI at W.o.t and your like oh... an intake whoppie. Im all about quiet and making power that is noticable and not all flash and bling.
Im not against CAI, but where they draw air from is not always cold, in fact the inner fender, how is that cold? i would rather do a drop in, and run a pipe to the front of the car, or that other little worthless inlet in the front of the Tc.
then you will draw in actual cold air.

to each there own.....

Quick Reply: K&N Drop in Filter??