Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Looking for a noise cancelling system.

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2005, 03:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Looking for a noise cancelling system.

I'm creating a powerful car, but I would rather it be a sleeper. right now you can hear it a mile off if I barely get above 2800. I would rather get a noise cancelling system that i can switch on and not draw any unwanted attention. Does anyone know where I can purchase a system. Making one will take too much time, since I work 2 jobs. If i have to... well, then i have to. Just thought this would be easier.
Old 05-02-2005, 03:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Scion Evolution

noise canceling system..??!?!!

wat in the world is that? i've never heard of such a thing. you mean something to silence your exhaust?

get a new muffler with a silencer
Old 05-02-2005, 04:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Fujitsubo makes this...

I have it in my catalog at the office...

Basicly, it is like a throttle body looking thing that goes in your exhaust pipe...

YOu can close it (quiet but also hurts horse power a little) and you can open it (loud free flowing) when you want to race someone...
Old 05-02-2005, 04:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Looking for a noise cancelling system.

Originally Posted by xlr8tC
right now you can hear it a mile off if I barely get above 2800.
What did you do to your car to make it so you can hear it a mile off? Surely you dont still have the stock exhaust on it if this is the case. If you want your car to be quiet, put the stock exhaust back on.
Old 05-02-2005, 05:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

no catalytic converters and a straight through exhaust is loud :-/
Old 05-02-2005, 07:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

any pics or links to this noise cancelling system?
Old 05-02-2005, 08:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Put bananas in your exhaust... that'lll take the damn noise right out.
Old 05-02-2005, 03:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm creating a powerful car, but I would rather it be a sleeper. right now you can hear it a mile off if I barely get above 2800. I would rather get a noise cancelling system that i can switch on and not draw any unwanted attention. Does anyone know where I can purchase a system. Making one will take too much time, since I work 2 jobs. If i have to... well, then i have to. Just thought this would be easier.
Obviously its awake if you changed your exhaust system and everyone can hear you when you drive away. I don't understand why people want their cars to be sleepers if they start putting stickers, body kits, manifolds, and aftermarket exhaust systems on it.
Old 05-02-2005, 11:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I want the power, not the attention. Noise is a byproduct of taking off anything that restricts airflow(typically). the noise cancelling system I was looking for is electronic. I remember they made it for a few cars in '03. figured they would have one aftermarket by now. i'll keep looking.

we used to make them in physics class in high school. it analyzes sound frequencies and their amplitude and creates a 180 out of sync wave of the same amplitude. Sounds complicated, but it's really not. I imagine i'll need to spend a little more time and money to make one that is sturdier to put in my car. we were just using them on our voices. no high temps or constant heavy vibrations, so...

btw, a sleeper wouldn't have any visible aftermarket kits/stickers. i haven't finished the car yet, so i haven't taken it off of the block. can't resist driving it once in a while, though.
Old 05-03-2005, 06:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

bah! I forgot to scan and upload the picture from my Fujitsubo Catalog...

Hey Necromancer???

I know a DJ by that name in Mass??

Your not him are you?????
Old 05-23-2005, 10:10 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I want the power, not the attention. Noise is a byproduct of taking off anything that restricts airflow(typically). the noise cancelling system I was looking for is electronic. I remember they made it for a few cars in '03. figured they would have one aftermarket by now. i'll keep looking.

we used to make them in physics class in high school. it analyzes sound frequencies and their amplitude and creates a 180 out of sync wave of the same amplitude. Sounds complicated, but it's really not. I imagine i'll need to spend a little more time and money to make one that is sturdier to put in my car. we were just using them on our voices. no high temps or constant heavy vibrations, so...
Apologies for reviving this thread, but I came across it and had to clarify...

The noise cancelling systems you speak of are used for interior applications to cancel out background noise. They are used for example in high end headphones, and in the *interior* of some expensive old-people cars to reduce ambient road noise. They are not, however, used to cancel out the loud blast of a free-flowing exhaust. For that you'd need microphones and speakers on the outside of your car, a very powerful audio processor, and even then it *might* (slim chance) work only if you're standing at the correct place right next to the car.

Point being, if you open up your exhaust people *will* be able to hear it.

Ravi
Old 05-23-2005, 06:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

funny, it seems to work fine. mounted it in the muffler and intake. need to shield the one in the hood though. seems to not be working lately. i still have engine noise, but it is substantially less. i think it's from vibrations from the engine on other parts. oh well, i'll figure it out and get those too. thanks anyway.
Old 05-10-2006, 02:40 AM
5 Year Member

I'm am developing a system for Off road ATV and motorcycles. I can't believe people don't know what noise cancelling exhaust systems are. Lets keep in touch and see where this may go. Thanks Wes
Old 05-10-2006, 04:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

it's alive!...the thread is alive! two weeks shy of a year to the day.
Old 05-10-2006, 04:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So you're gonna mount speakers to blast noise outward ?

Screw that. Get a Y-pipe installed with an electronic gate. Domestic guys do it all the time.

Turbos make great silencers too. I hear there's a little power boost involved with them too