Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Loss of power with CAI???? What the heck???

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2006, 07:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default Loss of power with CAI???? What the heck???

I installed my new CAI over the weekend. love the sound! BUT I've lost my lower end (1500-4000 Rpm) power. I step on the gas and the car doesn't star pulling hard until its at 4000 rpm+
What gives??? its an auto. I also noted it gets to the 4000 Rpm quite fast.
When the car is at 15-20 mph, if I just floor the gas petal, there is a long lag, about 2 seconds until the car actually responds now, and by the time it actually starts to move, the rpms are already at 4000+

I expected some pull early on the Rpms.....I'm assuming the car is revving faster than the tranny can keep up, and that there may be some learning needed for the computer to adjust itself to the new amount of air coming in.
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

But the sound it makes is amazing!

___

Last edited by MR_LUV; 07-24-2021 at 05:02 PM. Reason: Awarded 10 Yr Badge
Old 09-18-2006, 07:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Did you reset the ECU? Basically just unhook one of the battery terminals and leave it be for 5-10 minutes. Then hook it back up. Then drive around about 10 minute, but take it easy so the ECU can get acquainted with the new CAI. After a few minutes of driving the ECU reset should fix all the problems. Then you can stomp on the gas and it should work fine.
Old 09-18-2006, 07:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Or just drive around for awhile and it will learn the new fuel curve after about 100 miles or so. Thats what i did before i knew about having to reset the ECU.
Old 09-18-2006, 07:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Or realize that just about all dynos of CAI power increases only show peak HP increases past 3.5k RPM and that under that, you have a loss at just about any given RPM under 3.5k.

But it's ok, if you want to race you're going to race from 4.5 to 6.5k RPM which is where you'll see a flatter torque curve with the CAI.

Ever wonder how they can claim better fuel efficiency with more power? When you're driving in day to day traffic, you're RPM are lower so you have less power which equates to less air and less fuel to burn which equates better mileate BUT once you get on it, you don't lose your torque at high RPM so you'll see higher peak HP.
Old 09-18-2006, 07:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default Thanks

Thanks guys,
will try to reset it before I leave work, that way I'll get home "faster", or at least feel better driving home.
thanks again.
Old 09-18-2006, 08:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

CAI can kill the bottom end without some other supporting mods....but man it gives you the top-end...
It's not as much a HP loss on the bottom as it is torque.

Just cause of the flowing characteristics of the air, and how much fuel the ECU "dumps" into the engine.

___

Last edited by MR_LUV; 07-24-2021 at 05:06 PM. Reason: Awarded 15 Yr Badge
Old 09-18-2006, 08:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i have never reset mine since its been on about 2 months now. should u reset anyways?
Old 09-18-2006, 08:19 PM

10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

disconnect battery for a few minutes
Old 09-18-2006, 10:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by 3min3m2
CAI can kill the bottom end without some other supporting mods....but man it gives you the top-end...

its not as muc h a HP loss on the bottom as it is torque...just cause of the flowing characteristics of the air, and how mcu fuel the ECU "dumps" into the engine
HP is measured off of torque so you lose torque, you lose power. With fewer restrictions, you lose volumetric efficiency at a lower air velocity. When you can fill up the CAI with air you start to see your gains. Assuming the CAI changes the way the engine breathes, you shift its point of peak efficiency which is shifting the powerband right. If you shift your power band right, you'll have shifted your power away from the "low end."

The ECU only "dumps" fuel when there's air to burn it with. The ECU likes to see a constant AFR and adjusts to keep it within a range. You won't have less power because the ECU dumps; you'll have less power because there's less air for the ECU to burn fuel with.

Listen to Engifineer - he knows his ish way better than I know mine.
Old 09-19-2006, 12:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Drive it or reset it and it will soon give you what they really do.. nothing at all but some cool sound. But, looks and sound are fine too.

In all reality, other than making heat soak more of an issue, the CAI does almost nothing to the way the engine breathes. If you feel no gain or loss at all it is doing what it should be.
Old 09-19-2006, 02:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by w3paint_xA_xB
i have never reset mine since its been on about 2 months now. should u reset anyways?
no need now.... it usually learns after about 1 tank of gas.
Dont step on it too much before resetting b/c youre probably running a bit lean now. Dont know if this happens to the tC but on Civics it can cause the header to glow red after not much abuse.
Old 09-20-2006, 12:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I can say that what most do not talk about here is the low end loss hi-flow mods do to this ride. Sure I gained 20 ft. pounds on the top end but I lost 20 ft. pounds on the low end. This means your car turns into a Honda.
Old 09-20-2006, 03:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Another one bites the Hype-Dust,

I've got an Auto tC and I noticed the loss of bottom end grunt almost instantly after I installed the Injen HAI (Hot air Intake) The stock intake is actually better at keeping engine bay heat from going into the throttle body.

Latter I Installed the Injen SES exhaust and lost even more low end grunt -I'm a slow learner... but the car sounds great!

Live and learn I guess...Auto's need all the torque the engine can produce I/H/E take torque from the low-end and add it to the top end. Low end torque loss with a 5-speed will not be as noticeable.
Old 09-20-2006, 09:49 AM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

just curious, what intake did you get?