Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

MPG boosting mods

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 03:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Doc I. eez so SMRT!@!

he's right too, up them pressures in the tires and raise your IAT's to aid combustion, tune the car to lean out the AFR's, clean all the junk out of our cars and lose the dead weight (you don't NEED a spare tire, a can of Fix-A-Flat does just the same, plus, aren't they charging for AAA at birth now?) and drive with a light foot and you should consistently see 30+mpg

also, 2MPG is a decent increase, that is an AVERAGE increase over multiple tanks, sometimes it was as high as 5MPG difference, but that could be attributed to all kinds of different factors

for the record, I average 34MPG on the highway and about 28-30 city, I've seen it rarely drop down to 26 of hard driving and as high as 39 on the highway

that's not bad, there's just a lot of fluctuation to get some solid numbers

of course, I solved ALL of my gas worries by buying a cheap, 10yr old sportsbike, consistently gets 80MPG and goes from 0 to 100 to pulled over in 7 seconds
Old 05-23-2007, 10:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Otocan
... sportsbike ...goes from 0 to 100 to pulled over in 7 seconds

For you folks with higher tire pressure - how high are you going, and are you seeing any uneven tire wear?
Old 05-23-2007, 10:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

this is simple. use the camry's hybrid technology and bolt it up to your motor. have fun getting it to work with your motor, but you would have the first hybrid tc.
Old 05-23-2007, 11:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I thought the colder the intake air temps, the denser the air was. In turn/more power Thats what i always thought..
Old 05-23-2007, 12:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by Matt_Burgess
I thought the colder the intake air temps, the denser the air was. In turn/more power Thats what i always thought..
that is true, but apparently( id didnt know until now) a higher temp intake gives you more mileage...

so a short ram intake would increase MPG?theoretically?
Old 05-23-2007, 12:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by 3min3m2
Originally Posted by Matt_Burgess
that is true, but apparently( id didnt know until now) a higher temp intake gives you more mileage...

so a short ram intake would increase MPG?theoretically?
Originally Posted by BrEaK_AwaY
correct:

dense air (cold) - more power, less mpg
lower density air (warm) - less power, more mpg

why?

The colder/higher density air of the winter months will allow you to get more power from your engine, however, since fuel doesn't atomize as well with a cold intake charge, your mileage will suffer.

The warmer/lower density air of the summer months will reduce max power (sometimes dramatically so if high humidity is involved as well), however, because fuel so readily atomizes with a hot intake charge, there will be far fewer "rich zones" in the combustion chamber, allowing for more power to be derived from what air and fuel does make it to the combustion chamber.

So, if a hot intake charge yields more power from any given unit of gasoline, why don't you get more power from your engine in the summer time? Simple, your engine measures the weight of the air entering the engine, and then provides a given amount of fuel for every pound of air (typically something a bit over stoichiometric which is roughly 14.9 weight units of air to 1 weight unit of fuel). Since lighter air is entering the engine in hot weather, less fuel is pumped in via the fuel injectors, and so even though you're getting more power per unit of fuel, the max power of the engine is reduced.
Old 05-23-2007, 04:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Originally Posted by pollup
this is simple. use the camry's hybrid technology and bolt it up to your motor. have fun getting it to work with your motor, but you would have the first hybrid tc.
Doing Hybrid conversions usually costs $30,000-$80,000.
Old 05-23-2007, 07:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by CarbonXe
Originally Posted by pollup
Doing Hybrid conversions usually costs $30,000-$80,000.
correct, unless there is a hybrid drive already made for the motor. camry and the tc share the same motor, wouldnt be anywhere near that much to modify it and put the electric engine on the tc.
Old 05-23-2007, 08:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

It's far more complex than just adding batteries to a car...The cars share the same engine, but the entire drivetrain is completely different.
Old 05-23-2007, 10:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by CarbonXe
It's far more complex than just adding batteries to a car...The cars share the same engine, but the entire drivetrain is completely different.

cough, "electric engine". there is a box that is bolted to the top of the transmission. there is not some big hidden item that is part of it.
Old 05-23-2007, 11:14 PM
5 Year Member

speaking of tire pressure, how about filling them with dry nitrogen. 25$ to gain 1-2 mpg. best money I've spent...........G
Old 05-24-2007, 12:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hotter air means more potential to knock and damage the engine in the hot summer months - in the winter it is a great idea though. Coasting is the only way to really save with any really big impact along with tire pressure and better lubes. I did 36mpg at night in the rain just by driving differently than most people drive and that was knowing the roads and taking advantage of them to get some great coasting. This was an automatic and getting over 40mph is best for getting into top gear. The problem which could be an advantage is that the tC is throttle by wire so flooring it is not really the same as throttle by cable.
Old 05-24-2007, 12:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by greyghost02
speaking of tire pressure, how about filling them with dry nitrogen. 25$ to gain 1-2 mpg. best money I've spent...........G
Sorry you spent $25 to put gas in your tires bro, nitrogen does nothing except take money out of your wallet

maybe the lighter wallet will add MPG, but it's not from the gas, just another snake-oil product
Old 05-24-2007, 12:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

one word, acetone...

in very small quantities, about 1/4 of one percent and no more than 1/3 of one percent (2-3 oz. per 10 gallons of gas) can help increase efficiency up to almost 5 mpg! it also can help reduce emissions!

http://www.lubedev.com/smartgas/additive.htm check it!

oh and check this guy out, almost 500 miles out of one tank! https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...hlight=acetone
Old 05-24-2007, 03:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Man that's an old thread - I have about 290 miles at half a tank right now in my xB looking to go over 500 on this tank if I get to drive some more before the traffic gets crazy this weekend.
Old 05-24-2007, 03:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

congratulations...
Old 05-24-2007, 03:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I read that you should buy your gas at night when the temperature is the coolest. You get denser and therefore more gas for your money.......
Old 05-24-2007, 03:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

haha, its 10 feet underground and covered by concrete... i dont think gas is going to get very hot down there... what about areas in the country where it doesnt get about 20 degrees outside?
Old 05-24-2007, 12:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by xIxAMxHOLLYWOODx
one word, acetone...

in very small quantities, about 1/4 of one percent and no more than 1/3 of one percent (2-3 oz. per 10 gallons of gas) can help increase efficiency up to almost 5 mpg! it also can help reduce emissions!

http://www.lubedev.com/smartgas/additive.htm check it!

oh and check this guy out, almost 500 miles out of one tank! https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...hlight=acetone
They did that on mythbusters and it was the only additive that caused a loss of MPGs, but i don't know what percentage they used. Also it SLOWLY over time eats away the seals on the motor. (From what i've read)
Old 05-24-2007, 12:42 PM

Going on the whole weight reduction topic, would removing seats, spare tire, and getting lighter hood and hatch via carbon fiber help MPG? Lighter Wheels?

Quick Reply: MPG boosting mods