Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Neutral Switch?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2007, 03:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
teamNJCT
SL Member

Default Neutral Switch?

Ok this is pretty in-depth. I have a manual TC and I was wondering if there is a wire in the vehicle that will tell the brain when the car is in neutral. It has to be somewhere... I just don't know.
Old 11-09-2007, 03:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I don't think so.
Old 11-09-2007, 03:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Big Sky Scion
Scikotics
SL Member

well first of all, what are you trying to accomplish by finding this "neutral wire"?
Old 11-09-2007, 03:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

im guessing a remote start, and if that's it then call dei, they have something for that.
Old 11-09-2007, 03:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Big Sky Scion
Scikotics
SL Member

that would have been my guess as well, if you are gonna get a remote start with a 5 speed then get a zenesis alarm, if has manual tranny auto start

your car has to be in nuetral with the parking brake on or else it wont even attempt to start it.

so much easier than having some bypass fail andyour car jumpin a curb when you left it in gear!
Old 11-09-2007, 07:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
teamNJCT
SL Member

Well I will be doing the Viper 8900 that they just came out with. I work over at Best Buy so I get it for cheap, and plus im the installer... I will have to call DEI about it then. But I have heard that it is something you have to do with the emergency brake in a certain sequence. The car will remain running until you get out of the car and shut the door.
Old 11-09-2007, 07:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
teamNJCT
SL Member

The last line of defense for me will to take the status output wire off of the brain of the remote start and put a switch in-line with it before I got to the clutch. That way when I get out of the car I will need to press the button for it to remote start the next day. This way the alarm will still work and I will get into a rythm of putting it in neutral. Just want a more fail safe way.
Old 11-09-2007, 07:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
teamNJCT
SL Member

I called up DEI and they told me about the 689M module. Question is, if I park on a hill and need to leave my car in gear, how will the vehicle shut off? With the 689M you need to turn off the car, pull the e-brake up, leave it in neutral and then when you get out and shut the car door the engine will shut off. So how will the car shut off if I need to leave it in gear?
Old 11-10-2007, 02:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The feature you are referring is the turbo timer function, you have to splice it in to the wire for the e-brake so it knows the e-brake is up.

you are able to set the time for how long you want the car to idle, has nothing to do with the door being open or shut.
Old 11-10-2007, 02:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
teamNJCT
SL Member

The turbo timer feature is all ready on the remote start. The 689M module makes it so you must leave your car in neutral in order for it to shut off. Its kinda like a turbo timer but not.
Old 11-10-2007, 04:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Big Sky Scion
Scikotics
SL Member

best buy installer?!?! oh no

i just hope your installers are not like the ones here....they are TERRIBLE!
Old 11-10-2007, 01:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
teamNJCT
SL Member

Ya I have seen some messed up crap from other best buys. I tell them that I feel sorry for them and to come back so I can fix all their crap. People just dont take their time anymore with installs and its sad. Its someones car your working on that is the second biggest purchase (besides their home) that they will make in their life!!! I rant about this all the time lol.
Old 11-11-2007, 12:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by mattieg
The turbo timer feature is all ready on the remote start. The 689M module makes it so you must leave your car in neutral in order for it to shut off. Its kinda like a turbo timer but not.

I am well aware of how the module functions. That is what the feature is called a 'turbo timer' you program the run time. You cannot have such a feature on a manual car and leave it in gear and expect it to run, do you know how a clutch works?. Putting the car in neutral is the only way the car can run without an occupant in the drivers seat with such a feature.

Your questions just reaffirm why I encounter the garbage installs that create problems, and are related to the alarm install. If you have access to a wiring diagram and know how to read one, you would not be asking these types of questions.
Old 11-11-2007, 07:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
teamNJCT
SL Member

WOW, well you obviously have no idea what the module does or how it functions. The module makes you get out of the car while it is still running... so obviously you need to leave it in neutral. Then the car will shut off when you open and close the door. The turbo timer will still allow the car to run even after the door is opened and closed. And I asked if anyone had experience about the safest way to perform such an install. Trust me I bet I could run circles around your best buy installers around you area. Because I do not only install at Best Buy.