Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

5th Gear pop-out

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2015, 04:07 AM

Unhappy 5th Gear pop-out

I have a 2006 Scion TC Manual transmission with 90k miles. I have an issue with my car recently, where I would drive on the freeway and when I engage my fifth gear it would pop out and go into neutral. I have asked around about what the problem could be and some say that its bad synchros and others say clutch needs to be replaced. I have decided (for now) to replace the transmission and luckily I have found one for cheap. I would appreciate feedback on how to easily remove the transmission or other suggestions on what the problem is. Will I need to remove the front axles to ease the removal of the transmission?
Old 09-18-2015, 05:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I know some similar toyota transmissions had similar problems. Usually I've seen them fixed by replacing the driven 5th gear and slider assembly. Can't say for sure on our transmission, but the design was almost the same. BTW, 5th gear is behind a smaller back case (the black stamped case on the driver side). You take off the bolts and pry the cover off. You do need special tools (pullers, etc.) to remove everything else however.

For the trans removal, look at the DIY somewhere on here for clutch replacement. It's basically the same thing. Yes, you will need to remove both axles from the trans, although, you may not need to remove it from the hub. I think you can unbolt the bottom of the steering knuckle from the lower control arm, disconnect the sway bar, and then have enough free movement of the knuckle and strut assembly to push it out of the way. Then you have to unbolt the steerring rack and engine mounts and lower the subframe with a jack out of the car after unbolting it. Then you'll have the bottom of the engine/trans exposed. Remove shifter cables and harnesses. You need to carefully support the engine, then remove the trans mount (engine MUST be supported or it will fall!!!) then unbolt the trans and replace. Grease up the input shaft and clutch fork on reinstall. Also, I recommend installing new axle seals.

This is a big job. Mine was so corroded from road salt I just had a shop do it. They had to torch/cut and find replacements for a bunch of bolts.
Old 09-21-2015, 04:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

my car did the same thing a long time ago but it was covered under warranty but 5th doesnt have syncros.
Old 02-01-2016, 04:05 AM
SL Member

Default Same problem. How much did trans replacement cost?

Originally Posted by a23r
I have a 2006 Scion TC Manual transmission with 90k miles. I have an issue with my car recently, where I would drive on the freeway and when I engage my fifth gear it would pop out and go into neutral. I have asked around about what the problem could be and some say that its bad synchros and others say clutch needs to be replaced. I have decided (for now) to replace the transmission and luckily I have found one for cheap. I would appreciate feedback on how to easily remove the transmission or other suggestions on what the problem is. Will I need to remove the front axles to ease the removal of the transmission?
Same thing: 2006 with 79K. Told a bearing and linkage replacement could work but parts are about the same as a used tranny and installation would be much more!

What did this end up costing you?