Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Oil Pressure Light Blinks On From Hard Stop

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2017, 04:01 AM

Default Oil Pressure Light Blinks On From Hard Stop

Hey all!

I've got an issue I've noticed as I've driven my 2009 Scion tC. My car's oil pressure light will flicker when I make a harder stop after reaching a decent speed. This gave me cause for concern as I feel like I never see this light often, and with the messages I've seen from other forums discussing the light, it sounds like bad news. However, I looked into the owner's manual and it said these words exactly about the light:

"The light may occasionally flicker when the engine is idling or it may come on briefly after a hard stop. There is no cause for concern if it then goes out when the engine is accelerated slightly."

Is what I'm experiencing normal then? I've been noticing people saying that when the oil pressure light flickers at all that it's bad news. Oh btw, I checked my oil and it is indeed leveled and fine (a little black though). I use synthetic oil, and I've only driven 4,200 miles out of the recommended 6,000 between changes. I've noticed no dips in performance, nor any off-putting scents from my car. Regardless, what the manual says about the oil pressure light has me confused when I look at what other people say online. What exactly is the consensus here?

Anyway, thanks in advance for any input u can provide!

Last edited by MR_LUV; 12-06-2017 at 04:37 AM. Reason: Moved to Correct Forum by Moderator
Old 10-20-2017, 03:13 AM
Banned
SL Member

First of all: you have an 09 tC doing 6000 mile oil changes and no oil loss in that interval?

The only time the oil light went on in our 09 was when the oil was below the add line on the dipstick. That said, I can't say it ever had a "hard stop".

If your dipstick says you have oil and your oil light is coming on when you don't think it should be, it might be a sensor malfunction.