Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Please help identify this part

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2022, 05:51 PM

Default Please help identify this part

Hey guys.. I know I am going to sound like a fool, but for the life of me I can not remember the actual name of this pipe in order to find it at autozone.. unreal.. my old age is showing, Comes off the valve cover 2007 TC and goes just behind it. It is a vacuum hose of some sort but I need to find the exact one. The openings at either end are different sizes so a regular hose will not replace it.

Old 10-16-2022, 05:31 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

That's the "Ventilation Hose". It runs from the PCV Valve to the Intake Manifold.
Old 10-16-2022, 08:11 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by 62Fender
That's the "Ventilation Hose". It runs from the PCV Valve to the Intake Manifold.
Yes.....and if your car is subject to state emissions inspections, the hose HAS TO have the letters PCV printed on it. If it doesn't, the car will fail the visual aspect of the smog inspection test and it will be labeled as "Tampered F" within it's emissions test history.

I mean, many times a smog inspection tech will not notice that hose without "PCV" printed on it and the car will still pass inspection (but it shouldn't).

I'm state ASE certified for emissions test & emissions system repair.......I look at that hose whenever I perform smog inspections just to make sure a hose is there. I really don't care if the hose is PCV compliant or not.

However, The only time I ever fail a customers car in regards to that hose (if it's not PCV compliant) is when the customer is unknown to me........ya never know, the customer could actually be a representative from BAR or EPA and could've brought that "ghost car" with an intentional emissions system defect seeing if the smog inspector is being honest with the test.
Old 10-16-2022, 11:09 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by 18TTony
Yes.....and if your car is subject to state emissions inspections, the hose HAS TO have the letters PCV printed on it. If it doesn't, the car will fail the visual aspect of the smog inspection test and it will be labeled as "Tampered F" within it's emissions test history.

I mean, many times a smog inspection tech will not notice that hose without "PCV" printed on it and the car will still pass inspection (but it shouldn't).

I'm state ASE certified for emissions test & emissions system repair.......I look at that hose whenever I perform smog inspections just to make sure a hose is there. I really don't care if the hose is PCV compliant or not.

However, The only time I ever fail a customers car in regards to that hose (if it's not PCV compliant) is when the customer is unknown to me........ya never know, the customer could actually be a representative from BAR or EPA and could've brought that "ghost car" with an intentional emissions system defect seeing if the smog inspector is being honest with the test.
I added an oil catch can to the PCV circuit, just to reduce liquid oil from blowing into the manifold. I wasn't aware the hoses must be PCV hoses. I just got lucky and found stock Peugeot PVC hoses that fit my application. Even though they say PCV, they look like sh*t. The rubber is even reinforced with nylon cord but they still take a licking.
Old 10-17-2022, 02:08 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by 62Fender
The rubber is even reinforced with nylon cord but they still take a licking.
The nylon cord reinforcement isn't the issue with PCV hoses......the issue is with the chemical reactiveness of the rubber vs petrol (oil) contamination.
Old 10-18-2022, 12:49 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Interesting that the OEM rubber looks so delicate. The wire clamps almost bite through it.