Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Ported intake manifold vs any performance manifold

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2008, 05:35 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Ported intake manifold vs any performance manifold

Since there are no intake manifolds available for our cars yet, i was wondering if anyone knew if porting an existing I/M would do the same job. Price is not an issue so for all you that say it will be expensive, dont waist your time. I've realized i have to take matters into my own hands since i dont see one coming out soon. Thanks for your opinions.
Old 04-26-2008, 10:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

If price isn't an issue why not fund someone to R&D an IM?
Old 04-26-2008, 10:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Trader
SL Member

arent our intake manis made of hard plastic???
Old 04-26-2008, 10:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^no?
Old 04-27-2008, 02:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yes they are,there not portable.
Old 04-27-2008, 02:31 AM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

yes they are made of plastic. I dont no how you would polish plastic very well.
Old 04-27-2008, 03:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Trader
SL Member

Originally Posted by silverstreaktc
^no?
HAHAHA

told you so.....

i knew they were plastic, its weird
Old 04-27-2008, 03:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

i dont think that would work so well . i guess you could thin the walls up or somthin ..... but heat soak would be horrible and it would be all ruff on the inside after you shaved it
Old 04-27-2008, 04:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionTific

SL Member

I doubt it would help any. The reason there isn't an IM for our cars is because no one can put up any numbers for the costs.
Old 04-27-2008, 06:33 AM
SL Member

yeah it's made of 100% plastic.. and i'm not sure why people don't make an intake manifold for us.. if people are starting to build motors.. i just think people build they're bottom end and no one is building the top end.. which if someone made parts for it i think people would actually buy it..
Old 04-27-2008, 06:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Default Re: Ported intake manifold vs any performance manifold

Originally Posted by ToyoCel
Since there are no intake manifolds available for our cars yet, i was wondering if anyone knew if porting an existing I/M would do the same job. Price is not an issue so for all you that say it will be expensive, dont waist your time. I've realized i have to take matters into my own hands since i dont see one coming out soon. Thanks for your opinions.
Clearly you havent been lurking around in the forced induction section eh? Theres multiple Intake manifolds that have been custom made for this thing.
Old 04-27-2008, 04:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

^^ yep, there's been a few. I'll have one that I can get for everyone. But It won't be cheap... At this point, from what I’ve seen, there is not a huge reason for getting an aftermarket Intake manifold unless your boosting over 18lbs.. then you have to worry about the plastic actually exploding. From my understanding, if used on a NA set up the gains are not justified.
Kikcaffine, I want to use your car for some numbers to see the kind of gains with a Supercharger... then all we need is an NA tC to see if I can personally confirm my suspicions... I'll have to talk to Scinergy at some point about that (plenty of NA scions there) lol.
Old 04-27-2008, 06:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Originally Posted by Complication
^^ yep, there's been a few. I'll have one that I can get for everyone. But It won't be cheap... At this point, from what I’ve seen, there is not a huge reason for getting an aftermarket Intake manifold unless your boosting over 18lbs.. then you have to worry about the plastic actually exploding. From my understanding, if used on a NA set up the gains are not justified.
Kikcaffine, I want to use your car for some numbers to see the kind of gains with a Supercharger... then all we need is an NA tC to see if I can personally confirm my suspicions... I'll have to talk to Scinergy at some point about that (plenty of NA scions there) lol.

hahahahahahah
Old 04-27-2008, 08:33 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I keep reading about how our cars have bad n/a gains. Where are people getting this info from? I havent seen any factual information to support this information. Most people keep saying put a turbo... put a turbo and dont even try to get creative with our 2az-fe engines.

As for the I/M... It is made out of plastic and i see know that it would be a horrible idea. LOL (i didnt mention anything about polishing it BTW) Why is it that its taking you so long to make the manifold. I have been in the F/I forums. LOL im the guy that keeps asking for updates!! Why do you say you would have to be boosting 18psi before you needed an aftermarket I/M. Opening the airways would only help with better airflow intake.
Old 04-28-2008, 07:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Why is it that its taking you so long to make the manifold.
The reason It has taken as much time as it has for us to complete the intake manifold we've been working on is because we're working on also an exhuast manifold, motorbuild, custom radiator, and a few other custom fabracated parts all at the same time. (in addition to other cars around the shop). I'm sure others have their reasons as well... from my understanding we're not the only ones making one. I thought there were 1-2 others working on them as well on these boards...

Why do you say you would have to be boosting 18psi before you needed an aftermarket I/M.
Have you ever seen a scion Intake manifold after taking 20lbs of boost? Most likely you will see some it still attached to the block, and still other parts scattered randomly around the engine bay. /reply
Old 04-28-2008, 07:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Complication
Have you ever seen a scion Intake manifold after taking 20lbs of boost? Most likely you will see some it still attached to the block, and still other parts scattered randomly around the engine bay. /reply
Now that would be a wicked YouTube to see!
Old 04-28-2008, 09:26 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

OK I UNDERSTAND... BUT I JUST THINK ABOUT HOW MOST PEOPLE WITH TC'S ARE NOT BOOSTING OR RUNNING AN F/I SET UP. I THINK YOU COULD MAKE MORE MONEY SELLING I/M TO N/A CARS THEN F/I SET UPS.... JUST MY TWO CENT.
Old 04-28-2008, 10:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

OK I UNDERSTAND... BUT I JUST THINK ABOUT HOW MOST PEOPLE WITH TC'S ARE NOT BOOSTING OR RUNNING AN F/I SET UP. I THINK YOU COULD MAKE MORE MONEY SELLING I/M TO N/A CARS THEN F/I SET UPS.... JUST MY TWO CENT.

When it is finished Im sure we will considder both options. but I can't put it on ANY car as it stands right now. If you need one that bad, I can have one made in a matter of weeks... it just will take a signifant @mmount of $$ to get one so quickly.. We're working on multiple aspects of the car at the same time. Look at it this way, it's just another part to the bigger picture...
Old 04-28-2008, 11:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i would buy one for sure if it's out
Old 04-29-2008, 12:39 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

how much money are you talking about??? I understand that materials are expensive and so is labor but what were you thinking about.