Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

QR25DE Swap

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2005, 07:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Society
SL Member

Default QR25DE Swap

Yah know I really don't want to do this, but with the way the 2az is set up. Having carb EO aftermarket performance parts seems to be an up hill battle. I am just posting to see what you guys think? Will the 2.5 l and 6 spd tranny fit with out having to cut up the unibody or move the firewall. 180 hp and 180 ft/lb with the 6 spd and lsd. Just tossing the idea around. Feed back pls
Old 07-04-2005, 08:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

have no idea but dam that sounds like a nice motor just .1 more liters and its makin 20 more hp and torque
Old 07-04-2005, 09:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well im not 100% sure but i bet u have to change the frame atleast a lil bit... also in cali u cant put an engine in the car unless it is atleast as new as the car (so the nissian engine would have to be a 2005) and i would also assume it would have to be able to pass the same smog reguirements as the 2az (so still would be hard to get carb approval on anything aftermarket performance wise). i would rather save my money to get the TRD supercharger and other mods and end up with a better setup than the nissian engine/tranny.
Old 07-04-2005, 09:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Society
SL Member

After swapping out the 2az I don't think you are restricted to the same emission standards. the qr25 is a ulev engine also i think. The engine has been in the aftermarket arena for a while now and already has carb EO aftermarket parts. The 2az on the other hand is set up in a fashion where it will be very difficult to produce after market parts that perform well and are Carb EO compliant. It will be easier to get Carb EO numbers for a Turbo or a supercharger than an CAI or catback exhaust the way the 2az's aspiration is set up (the reasons were mentioned in another thread) Where Turbo and Superchargers Don't really interfere with those parts (especially not a supercharger) For instance. The 1st cat is located right below the exhaust manifold So Producing Headers with Carb EO numbers would require the headers to have a Cat. Where with a Supercharger you don't mess with the location of the Cats, That stupid Carbon filter thing in the air box, or the steel flanges in the exhaust portion of the vehicle, Turbos on the other had would be a little more difficult. Since you replace the Exhaust manifold with the turbo manifold, I'm not sure if this would remove the first cat since I haven't removed the heat shield covering those parts, But if it did remove the cat you could put a cat somewhere after the manifold, and I belive that would still meet Carb EO requirements. Cat Back exhaust, Cold Air Intakes, Header... All of these items tamper with those components. I'm not saying it is impossible, but it makes it much harder.
Old 07-04-2005, 02:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

........or you could spend 1/4th the cost on a turbo setup and make 320whp instead of 150whp

it's not worth just the 6 speed. you would have to do some work with motor mounts, also would have to redo the entire computer management.. custom exhaust (because of the crossmember)

if you bored the 2az out, put some custom cams, and did some headwork, you'd blew 180hp out of the water with the same engine you have already.
Old 07-04-2005, 02:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

also, i am pretty sure to even meet carb standards. you will need a 2005 or newer QR25DE. finding a used 2005 QR25DE or a brand new one will definitely hit you in the wallet big time. you will also need to get custom motor mounts, cv axles might not fit properly, exhaust system... the list could be endless. the benefit of the slightly larger displacement and 6spd lsd equipped tranny is simply outweighed by the costs.
Old 07-04-2005, 03:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

nobody's even mentioned engine management yet, which would be awful - I have a feeling you'd need some sort of standalone system because getting ECU's from two different manufactures to get along would probably be very difficult.
Old 07-04-2005, 03:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Mediocre Generica
nobody's even mentioned engine management yet, which would be awful - I have a feeling you'd need some sort of standalone system because getting ECU's from two different manufactures to get along would probably be very difficult.
just swap the nissan computer with the motor/tranny. What gave you the Idea to even atempt to keep the stock TC ECU?
Old 07-04-2005, 04:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Society
SL Member

The point of this thread isn't "What Engine is better" persay. Its the CARB EO and emission restrictions on the 2az that the qr doesn't have. Like the airbox and the carbon filter thats required to stay there to be CARB EO compliant, or the location of the 1st Cat Converter, Or the flanges after the 2nd cat converter. All of those elements are keeping aftermarket parts from being 50 state legal. The QR25 doesnt have those problems (as far as I know). Yes I realize a New QR25 would be expensive, I was just wondering what kind of work you guys think would be needed to do it. If fashioning and relocating new motor-mounts is the worst of it then it is possible. I really don't want to swap out my Toy Engine for a Nissan Engine. I personally would rather work with the canvas I am given. But with the tC its beginning to be like having a great canvas and you imagination.... Then they give you black and white paint.
Old 07-04-2005, 05:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Its not the engine that is causing the restrictions. All cars have to adhere to the same standards to meet carb. It can be acheived. The parts are fairly new, so give them time.

As far as that amount of power, just go with the ZPI Stage 0 (or 1?) head kit. $550 after the core is out of the way and you will have close to the same performance as you mentioned before doing any other work. CARB? Not sure on that, but if you are concerned solely with CARB, then just keep it stock. I fortunately dont live in a state that cares about CARB (and funny, its one of the least polluted cities in the US that I know of Hard to find much smog hovering here ) so I also do not care.

But, as far as the swap, I would guess custom mounts, maybe some front end work, very possible cutting and fabricating, new ecu and harnesses, custom shift linkages to fit the tC, etc. It would be a very large job
Old 07-04-2005, 08:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

did a quick search.... their headers have cats like us also and they are having the same problems like not passing smog (well none of us should have the problem yet...) but i have seen the stock header (http://forums.thevboard.com/viewtopi...fd1f9be62ab8d2) and it does have a cat on the header. I could not find anything on the carbon filter but i would assume that they would have the same basic requipement to meet the same ulev standards. I think it just seems like there are having an easier time because they realized that there is no other way to get power then to eliminate these things. I think our engine may seem hard with these bolt on right now but i think our engine actually has more potential in the end with the smaller stroke, vvti, and other small differences we could easially have more power.
Old 07-04-2005, 08:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Society
SL Member

here's the thread so you guys know exactly what I am talking about.
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...r=asc&start=25
Old 07-04-2005, 09:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ummm....

Originally Posted by matty-tC
...also would have to redo the entire computer management..
thanks for the echo though
Old 07-04-2005, 11:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by fireballfish
just swap the nissan computer with the motor/tranny. What gave you the Idea to even atempt to keep the stock TC ECU?
Ok, sounds like a great idea - we'll just ignore the various abs, wheel speed, and airbag sensors. I'm sure the nissan computer has many sensors it likes to hear from too, that will be absent. It's not as simple as plugging a new computer in. I'm not sure where you got the idea that engines are just plug and play.
Old 07-07-2005, 02:00 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

seems nuts. Spend some time at b15sentra.net and see what those guys are up to- the car barely makes any more whp, the 6 speed tranny is full of crunch and the engine can't hold together under much boost. I think you're barking up the wrong tree if you're looking for an engine to swap in.
Old 07-07-2005, 03:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Society
SL Member

You guys are getting this entire thread WRONG! I am not swapping for more power. I am swapping for More CARB EO aftermarket Parts. If i was only worried about power I would have bought the ScionSpeed stage 3 turbo kit like 3 months ago. I have been patiently waiting for carb EO parts to come out for the tC. and after reading a few threads and thinking on it. CARB EO parts are at least another year down the road. and I SWEAR if anyone says "Move out of California." You guys actually think this CARB EO thing is gonna stay in Cali? Well I'll leave you guys to your own. Many states are becomming more strict on emission laws and standards. Texas I heard will be using the sniffer in the future for emissions testing.
Old 07-07-2005, 05:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Scion Evolution

<idiot

what is this engine we speak off? from wat car?
Old 07-07-2005, 05:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the nissan sentra SE-R spec v
Old 07-07-2005, 01:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Society
SL Member

The reason why california is so strict on emissions is the fact there is a HUGE valley that makes up for the majority of the california territory. So polution doesn't just blow away with the jet stream and out to some other place (Lucky for you people that live far enough up north, or in a really flat state)
Old 07-08-2005, 03:22 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

You'd save yourself a ton of money and a ton of frustration by visiting your local Nissan dealer and trading your TC for a Spec V. Another plus, it will handle better and has 4 doors.

If you wanted to do a swap, it probably wouldn't be any harder to swap in a Camry v6 or any other engine that might fit for that matter. Why go 4 cylinder?

Quick Reply: QR25DE Swap