Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Question about warranty

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 06:17 PM
5 Year Member

Default Question about warranty

Hi, I currently have my TC lowered on Hotchks springs. The other day I was driving and the road I was on was flooded with about 4 inches of water. I didn't see the water til the last minute so I hit it about 30mph (it was night time). My car shut off in the water and I pushed it out and let it dry like 10 mins and finally the car got started back up. Later I noticed my check engine light on. I am over my bumper to bumper warranty but I am still under the powertrain warranty. My question is, is this covered or did I void the warranty due to the springs?

Thanks,
stoked
Old 08-24-2009, 06:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

no, springs cannot effect your power train warranty.

now, if you have a cold air intake, and you hydro locked the engine, you are SOL. but if you have stock intake and such, you should be fine.

but only 4 inches of water shut your tc down? i've driven through deeper with a CAI and haven't had that problem...
Old 08-24-2009, 06:28 PM
5 Year Member

Yea I don't know what happen... All I know is the next day I realized the check engine light was on and my bottom VRD grill popped out and I guess floated away somewhere because I can't seem to find it in the spot I got stuck. But thanks for the reply!
Old 08-24-2009, 10:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

does it run normally other then the check engine light being on, or does it sputter and run like crap?
if it runs normally try pulling the negative battery terminal or your ecm fuse for about 5 min... then reattach, and start. you may just need to clear the computer. it may have shut down if it started to pull water, or stalled out and the check engine light may be on as a precaution. have you tried hooking up a code reader to see if its throwing codes, checked the maf for moisture?
Old 08-25-2009, 02:17 PM
5 Year Member

yes the car runs normal just the light is on. I am going to go to advanced auto and hookup their code reader and see what it says. I will try and pull the negative off the battery and the ECM fuse. I don't know what MAF is, so I don't know how to check that.

Thanks for the reply,
Stoked
Old 08-25-2009, 05:49 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

I would agree with Draxcaliber. If you have a stock intake you should be able to take it in. 4 inches of water wont hydrolock a motor with a stock intake and would be hard pressed to do the same to a CAI if you still have the fender liner and splashguard under the car.
Old 08-25-2009, 06:31 PM

10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

so the question is...

do you have a CAI?
Old 08-25-2009, 07:05 PM
5 Year Member

Everything is stock except for the springs. Water could have been 4-6 inches.
Old 08-26-2009, 02:23 AM
5 Year Member

I took the negative off the battery and that seemed to work and cleared the Check Engine Light. Now my driver side window is no longer automatic and I can't control the passenger window from the driver side. The passenger window can go down on the passenger side only but it is no longer automatic. Is there something I can do to fix this problem.

Thanks,
Stoked
Old 08-26-2009, 02:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you just need to reprogram the windows and such.

i don't remember the details, but it is something like hold down the switch for like 10 seconds or something. same with the sunroof too.

it should be on this site somewhere, or in the owner's manual.
Old 08-26-2009, 06:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i can't believe u lost ur vrd grill from a lil water. must have not been on tight enough. but yea as long as you dont have a cai than you hsould be fine
Old 08-26-2009, 10:53 AM
5 Year Member

I don't know... It was on there for a good 5 months going through high pressure power washes and stuff. But yea it sucks.
Old 08-26-2009, 12:39 PM
5 Year Member

Well I reprogrammed my windows so now everything is back to working order, but now the Check Engine Light came back on. I don't get it...
Old 08-26-2009, 01:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well the CEL coming back means you have a real problem possibly, and you need to get it looked at.
Old 08-26-2009, 06:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by Stoked
Everything is stock except for the springs. Water could have been 4-6 inches.
if everything is stock how could it be possible for the water to go into an intake that is 2 feet off the ground? dunno man but something doesnt sound right. Same situation happened to me but i had my intake filter in the wheel well
Old 09-01-2009, 01:18 AM
5 Year Member

Well I finally went to Advanced Auto and had them read the error codes for my car. They are:
P2195
02 Sensor Stock Lean (Bank 1 Sensor 1)
P0138
02 Sensor Circuit High Volts (Bank 1 Sensor 2)

I checked prices at advanced and one sensor is about $115 and the other is around $200. Do the older cars have these sensor that I could possibly get from a junk yard or something. Is replacing these sensor going to be hard to do or am I stuck pretty much going to a dealership to get this fixed?

Thanks,
Stoked
Old 09-01-2009, 01:21 AM
SL Member

i'd take it to the dealer, i dont think water could've been sucked in with stock intake. its too high up and even with 4-6 inches of water it'll take awhile before it enters the left wheel area where it sucks in the air.
Old 09-01-2009, 01:27 AM
5 Year Member

Would it be bad driving for a while without fixing these sensors? I dont really have the money to fix it just yet...
Old 09-01-2009, 02:39 AM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

look dude u are obviously stock and we have told you that springs dont void your drivetrain warranty take the friggin car into the dealer ship tell them u drove through water and car shut off then tell em what codes u had my money is on the water messed up your sensors which WILL be covered by warranty so man the hell up and go to dealer and shut the hell up...

as for driving it till its fixed i suggest u drive normal dont floor it and carry gas money cuz itll get horrible gas mileage
Old 09-01-2009, 02:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

lol

Quick Reply: Question about warranty