Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

random Q

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 02:09 AM

Default random Q

Hi, i have an auto tc and somtimes i like to mess around and start at L and shift to 2-3 and D. is that bad for the car? Was just wondering.

also is it bad to pull the E-brake annd do a 180? lol
Old 07-30-2009, 02:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

Yea, it isnt good to pretend to drive your automatic like a manual. And sweet 180s cause flat spots on your rear tires, which tends to be a little unsafe.

epikfale
Old 07-30-2009, 03:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It will hurt the trans if you make a habit of shifting like that. It is not a manual.

to the 180s

why is there no facepalm smilies?
Old 07-30-2009, 03:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

doing any unnecessary shifting with a auto always hurts the tranny. don't do it
Old 07-30-2009, 03:58 AM

aight guess i wont do it. even tho its fun
Old 07-30-2009, 04:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Balliztik
SL Member

car will actually shift better through the gears leavin it in drive........just learn how to play the pedal to get the shift to pull quicker,if it is at WOT on a n auto it tends to delay rising through the RPMs than if you go 3/4 till the RPMs start to gain the torque and move the car then WOT it.........it kicks in to a over drive type thing when you do that and goes through the grear faster and picks up speed faster......takes practice to do,I keep up fine with the guys with sticks and I got heavy wheels and 120lbs of sound deadening,then even more stereo stuff in the car weighing it down.

also ebrake 180s will tear the ____ out the rear brake and the tires and trash your car and you will end up with spendy repairs and a junky car that you are not happy with.
Old 07-30-2009, 04:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have worked with automatic transmissions for quite awhile and thoroughly understand their operation - however I do not understand why people state that using the manual shift pattern will affect the life of the transmission. Now, if you use the manual shift pattern to hold the transmission in a lower gear for an extended period of time - thus operating the transmission while cruising over 3k-3500 rpm, i can see how that would cause excessive gear and clutch wear along with a significant increase in atf temp which will cause damage over time if the high temperature is maintained.

However simply using the manual shift pattern to shift at your own desired rpm during acceleration (as long as it is below redline of course) produces no more stress on the transmission than standard driving. As Im sure you all are well aware - our tranmissions is electronically controlled - the shift linkage manually engages the park gear, reverse, neutral, and drive. The gear shifts are controlled by electronic solenoids controlled by the ecu, shifting the tranmission to L, 2, or 3 simply "tells" the ecu by reading from a sensor in the transmission, to keep the transmission in the selected gear provided it is within the rpm range of the vehicle. So basically, what Im saying is, provided you use it to control acceleration in a reasonable manner, this should cause no excessive wear on the transmission. Opperating the transmission at excessive rpm for extended periods of time however will damage the transmission, thus dont put it in the manual shift pattern and cruise at 5k rpm - if you do this you will cause damage eventually and you waste a ton of gas, so why do this anyways?

And also as a final note - just an fyi - using the manual shift pattern WILL NOT improve shift speed or get you a faster 1/4 mile time. As I said before using this only tells the ecu which gear to use - it does not "bypass" the ecu, thus giving the car WOT in D will give the best results for performance as the ecu will automatically shift with maximum pressure at the highest possible rpm. The only use for the manual shift pattern is to control engine speed.

As for the 180's - im not even gunna comment
Old 07-30-2009, 05:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

or you could have just gotten a 5spd to start with =P
Old 07-30-2009, 02:05 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

Um well i blew up my first cars tranny driving like that. It was a 90 corolla. It can hurt it. But driving like thendawg said should be fine but why would you even drive like you stated if your gonna drive normally. Your obviously wanting to get more out of your car but you wont and in the end you will blow your tranny. Just get a 5-spd next time. Leave the car in D.
Old 07-30-2009, 02:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Here's a good rule of thumb... if you have to ask if doing something is bad for something... it probably is, or you should at least not be doing it, just incase.

As for the eBrake... what are you? A teenag... oh, wait. You are. Um, basically, unless you're a professional drifter or in a F&F movie, leave the eBrake for parking only.