Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

rough idle

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 07:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

1) premium gas or the cheapest it will make no change to your idle!
2) clean the maf sensor
3) change or clean the filter - if you have stock intake = replace filter - if you have k&n cai then get the recharge kit and clean it. if you have other cai or dryflow filter.... then i dont know how could you clean it. use search button.
4) if u have cai and the intake is not connected with the supplied hose to the engine head.. but u have a little air brather = go to a shop , buy some hose, loose the breather and connect it back with the hose!
5) seafoam it before the oil change =
pour the 1/3rd of the seafoam in the gas tank (w/ a full tank of gas)
pour the second 1/3 rd in the engine where u put the oil
and the last 1/3rd in the brake bouster

the brake booster is somewhere behind the engine. you might have to remove the wipers and the plastic panel. its not that hard to find it or reach it. i didnt now where is it or what is it and i found it. use search button about seafoam and u will find it.

IMPORTANT: dont pour it in your intake!!!!! it might pour towards the fender instead of the throttle body.
Old 03-05-2009, 07:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by SuShIxFiSh
pcv ? ok ill get maf cleaner tonight and try that out i have a cai what do i do with the sea foam
There is really too much and too many ways to use it to type it all out here .

Here is a start for you:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&c...eafoam&spell=1
Old 03-05-2009, 07:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by 09tC_CB7
pcv ? ok ill get maf cleaner tonight and try that out i have a cai what do i do with the sea foam
There is really too much and too many ways to use it to type it all out here .

Here is a start for you:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&c...eafoam&spell=1
no there isnt!!!
gas tank, engine and the third depends on the car. in our case is the brake booster

and about cleaning the filter :

k&n recharge kit contains a cleaning solutions and the oil spray.. this works on the k&n filter but i dont think its safe to re oil the aem dryflow filter. i dont know about the fujita or injen filters.

maybe you could measure the intake pipe go to a shop and buy a new k&n filter.. which will be at least 40 maybe 50 dollars!
Old 03-05-2009, 07:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
1UP Crew
SL Member

ok ill try all that it was fine in till i went threw a puddle
Old 03-05-2009, 07:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
1UP Crew
SL Member

Originally Posted by CSOCSO
That may be the case for the idle.

But not when your at WOT. Any signs of pinging, and the ecu will retard the timing, and/or add fuel.

If the car requires premium, use premium.

Thats why cars are tuned for the type of gas they will be using.
Old 03-05-2009, 07:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

as i see u have k&n ... so just clean the filter and the maf sensor. reset the ecu ( remove the negative battery terminal for a minute)

after that the idle will be extremely bad! the car will die on you at every stop! you have to drive the car for like 20 minutes..
plus you have to reset the windows ( just pull the button on each side to close the window and hold it for 2-3 seconds do the same thing to your moonroof )
Old 03-05-2009, 07:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
1UP Crew
SL Member

ok thanks csocso your helping me alot i will try and get the maf cleaner and maybe clean my cone i dont think its been clean for 2 yrs hahah umm i think thats bad hahaha
Old 03-05-2009, 07:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ippskidder

But not when your at WOT. Any signs of pinging, and the ecu will retard the timing, and/or add fuel.

you are right but in this case:

WE dont need premium gas unless we are boosted.

so as long as we have no turbo, s/c then we dont need premium gas and it wont matter if we use premium or regular.
Old 03-05-2009, 07:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ok thanks csocso your helping me alot i will try and get the maf cleaner and maybe clean my cone i dont think its been clean for 2 yrs hahah umm i think thats bad hahaha
hm... not that bad.. i didnt clean my filter for almost a year and it wasnt really bad. but yeah.. 2 years? its about time!

spray the cleaning solution on it. wait 10 minutes ( dont let it dry) wash it from the inside, wait a few hours until it dries and re oil it. dont put too much oil on it.

just make sure the filter turns to pink evenly ( the color of the oil) some oil will sit on the metal mesh but i just cleaned that with a towel.
let the filter sit another hour and if the oil is dripping you have to wash it again and use less oil.

you have to be really careless to put too much oil so i dont think you will mess it up.
Old 03-05-2009, 07:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
1UP Crew
SL Member

thanks man i will be tryin that this weekend autobacs is going out of business so ill get it from there probably cheap
Old 03-05-2009, 07:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
1UP Crew
SL Member

As far the seafoam, just use it in the gas tank, and with the oil.

Don't run it through your brake booster or intake manifold. Sometimes the carbon deposits are holding sh!!t together.

Friend of mine ran seafoam thru the brake booster, and I guess it did a great job of cleaning the cylinders. The compression was only slightly low when he did the compression test, after the seafoam, major loss in compression.

Just to clarify, it is a GREAT product, I always use it. Just haven't tried it through the intake mani. I have a high mileage car, and rather leave the carbon deposits around the piston rings and pistons as is, lol. Till I save enough to upgrade the internals.

I'd personally just rather not. I've also read of a couple of instances online with the seafoam and the compression. Just my .02 cents

Just a thought.... carbon deposits in the cylinder will increase the likelyhood of pinging, but I don't think it'll screw with your idle.

I'm thinking it might be a vacuum leak, dirty sensor, dirty air filter.

Try removing the air filter first, and then turning on the car. If it idles fine then its the filter. If it still doesn't, then it could be a dirty sensor.

Edit: Your shouldn't really have any carbon deposits, it usually only on boosted cars and/or people with bad tunes. So you should be fine to use it.
Old 03-05-2009, 07:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
1UP Crew
SL Member

but it only idles rough when im rolling when im stopped it idles right bellow 1k
Old 03-05-2009, 07:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
1UP Crew
SL Member

so as long as we have no turbo, s/c then we dont need premium gas and it wont matter if we use premium or regular.
I don't remember if stock TCs are recomended to use regular or premium. I'm pretty sure its premium. You better hope the dealer doesn't try to blame any engine problems (regarding warranty) because you were running regular. My experience with dealers is they try to get out of it any way they can.

BTW i'm not saying you can't run regular gas. I'm just letting you know what the ECU does when it detects knock/pinging. Your car your choice.
Old 03-05-2009, 07:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

As far the seafoam, just use it in the gas tank, and with the oil.

Don't run it through your brake booster or intake manifold. Sometimes the carbon deposits are holding sh!!t together.

Friend of mine ran seafoam thru the brake booster, and I guess it did a great job of cleaning the cylinders. The compression was only slightly low when he did the compression test, after the seafoam, major loss in compression.

Just to clarify, it is a GREAT product, I always use it. Just haven't tried it through the intake mani. I have a high mileage car, and rather leave the carbon deposits around the piston rings and pistons as is, lol. Till I save enough to upgrade the internals.

I'd personally just rather not. I've also read of a couple of instances online with the seafoam and the compression. Just my .02 cents

Just a though.... carbon deposits in the cylinder will increase the likely hood of pinging, but I don't think it'll screw with your idle.

I'm thinking it might be a vacuum leak, dirty sensor, dirty air filter.

Try removing the air filter first, and then turning on the car. If it idles fine then its the filter. If it still doesn't, then it could be a dirty sensor.

Edit: Your shouldn't really have any carbon deposits, it usually only on boosted cars and/or people with bad tunes. So you should be fine to use it.
he should try it. thats what fixed my idle........ if u do it right it will help.
Old 03-05-2009, 07:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I don't remember if stock TCs are recomended to use regular or premium. I'm pretty sure its premium. You better hope the dealer doesn't try to blame any engine problems (regarding warranty) because you were running regular. My experience with dealers is they try to get out of it any way they can.

BTW i'm not saying you can't run regular gas. I'm just letting you know what the ECU does when it detects knock/pinging. Your car your choice.

check the manual... regular gas is recommended! we do not need premium! i thought u knew this.

only boosted or high compression engines ( si, gts etc) or high power engines

have a nice day guys. i gtg to work.
Old 03-05-2009, 07:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

but it only idles rough when im rolling when im stopped it idles right bellow 1k
hmm... mines did it when i stopped at the lights and stop signs

do the filter and maf clean!!!!!

u have an air breather on the engine or its connected to the intake with a hose?
i gtg! bye

if nothing helps = seafoam!
Old 03-05-2009, 07:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
1UP Crew
SL Member

its connected to the intake
Old 03-05-2009, 07:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^ good. clean it! and let us know what's up
Old 03-05-2009, 08:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
1UP Crew
SL Member

check the manual... regular gas is recommended! we do not need premium! i thought u knew this.

only boosted or high compression engines ( si, gts etc) or high power engines

have a nice day guys. i gtg to work.
Thats why I said, "I don't remember."

To leave room for error.

But then again. My car stopped being stock a month or two after I got the car.

Like April/May 2006, lol.

I guess i'm just paranoid. With all these people blowing engines, on turbo kits, nos, and other such mods. I just think of it as cheap insurance ^^

All I know is with 80k+ and about 60k miles boosted, I still have no blown engine.

*phew*

Old 03-09-2009, 03:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
1UP Crew
SL Member

well i did the seafoam in the gas take noticed the car got a lil more power from that but still have the rough idle so i went and got MAF cleaner and cleaned that and when i was looking at the MAF SENSOR it was completely black for i sprayed it a as many times as the cleaner instructed and saw a huge difference and then i went and bought k&n recharge kit and clead the filter wow im talking about mud was jsut coming off of it when i used the solution rinsed it off oiled it up and no ruff idle is no more i wanna give thanks to CSOCSO for all the help

Quick Reply: rough idle