Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Scion Tc or STI

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 03:52 AM
SL Member

Default Scion Tc or STI

Hey guys im new to SL im stuck between a rock and a hard place i love my tc but idk if i should save up and by a turbo kit for it or save up and put a down payment on an STI and sell my tc. i hate the fact that most companies would tell me not to do anything to the car just save up and buy a kit which kills me because i want to see progression on my car not to be in first grade for 4 years then jump to fifth grade..btw is it possible to by a turbo kit piece by piece

Last edited by cya1203; 02-01-2011 at 04:49 AM.
Old 02-01-2011, 04:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You sound like you should stay in first grade for a while. You're title is misleading because the question is a no brainer. If you just want to go fast, make the down payment. I think that would be a safer path for you. You do not need to do research on turbos or anything which makes it seem a lot easier.

You asked if you should save up or not, and in the end.. you said you cant save up if your life depended on it. Hmm.. ok
Old 02-01-2011, 04:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah, i'd just sell the tC and get the STI, they are not even comparable in terms of performance.

by the time you save up to buy your turbo kit piece by piece, you might not even want the car anymore. or it gets wrecked or stolen, and now you have a pile of parts to sell for a loss.
Old 02-01-2011, 04:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Does this REALLY have to do with drivetrain and power? No. You're asking a question as to what YOU should do, something people can't truly answer. Who compares cars to 1st and 5th grade? Really?

Yes, you can buy a turbo kit "piece by piece." It will cost you less in the long run, but judging by your post you have no idea what you need to do so, so you will likely not be doing well "piece by piece."

You also say you love your tC, but want a turbo. So that means you immediately want an STI? Your logic makes no sense, as does this topic. I suggest researching and maybe using better grammar skills to help you with whatever this real question might be.
Old 02-01-2011, 04:30 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

this guy is mess around around.. ban!!
Old 02-01-2011, 04:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^What?! lmao, buy get the STI, enjoy boost, and AWD. Just know what you're getting into with the STI.
Old 02-01-2011, 04:37 AM
SL Member

ok i apologize i wasnt clear on my question its 12:37 where i am bare with me. basically what i am asking is should i buy a kit for my tc or use that money i was gonna buy a kit with and put a down payment on an sti thats the question
Old 02-01-2011, 04:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

sti..... tc's blow
Old 02-01-2011, 06:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If I wanted another car payment I would trade in my tic that is paid off or private party sale it & buy a EVO or a STI but being in my late 20's & having 2 paid off cars I am stuck between a rock & a hard spot ;) I have a 2001 4Runner for when I go camping & on long road trips & then the Scion tic goes to work and home.

If I was you I would say "PEACE OUT tic" & "Hello AWD Turbo"

About 3 months ago I almost traded in my tic for a Volvo S60R = 300 HP AWD Volvo ;) But I walked away from it because I was stick of having car payments.

But that’s just me.

If you really want power & want to have a "Sport Compact" car get a Fu(king STI ;)
Old 02-01-2011, 01:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So in as nice a way as I can I will tell you what I think.

It sounds like you don't fully understand what is involved in owning a turbo tC. First off unless you plan on gettting the turbo professionally installed plan on a full weekend of work. Second if you get a turbo kit and don't get the drivetrain upgrades (ie. LSD, Clutch) you are shooting yourself in the foot. All in total you are looking at 8 grand to turbo your car correctly with the supporting mods and thats without labor. The other thing that no one thinks about is the fact that you need to have additional money saved up in case you blow an engine (I did, so dont think it doesnt happen). I'm not trying to be mean but it is serious commitment to turbo your tC and in truth it only nets you the same HP as a stock sti. Don't get me wrong I love my sleeper turbo tC but for you my suggestion is buy a used STI, enjoy AWD turbo with safe OEM parts.
Old 02-01-2011, 02:06 PM
SL Member

im tryin to buy a sti too and tryin to sell my tc i felt exactly how u did when i first thought about it haha STI FTW!!!
Old 02-02-2011, 03:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by sciontc6.0
im tryin to buy a sti too and tryin to sell my tc i felt exactly how u did when i first thought about it haha STI FTW!!!
Did you lower your price on your tC yet?
Old 02-02-2011, 04:03 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Coming from an Evo and working on friends STI's i can tell you that they are fun as hell to drive and what not but they are A LOT more work to maintain. Not to mention the payments on them are out of this world and by the sounds of it your pretty young making your insurance sky high as well (assuming your not on your parents plan and they aren't paying for it etc etc)

There are parts of me that miss the AWD turbo, but i love the simplicity and fun of the tC as well and being about to piece together something I want. Not something the factory thinks i need.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 02-02-2011, 04:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Originally Posted by FLIN-SCION
So in as nice a way as I can I will tell you what I think.

It sounds like you don't fully understand what is involved in owning a turbo tC. First off unless you plan on gettting the turbo professionally installed plan on a full weekend of work. Second if you get a turbo kit and don't get the drivetrain upgrades (ie. LSD, Clutch) you are shooting yourself in the foot. All in total you are looking at 8 grand to turbo your car correctly with the supporting mods and thats without labor. The other thing that no one thinks about is the fact that you need to have additional money saved up in case you blow an engine (I did, so dont think it doesnt happen). I'm not trying to be mean but it is serious commitment to turbo your tC and in truth it only nets you the same HP as a stock sti. Don't get me wrong I love my sleeper turbo tC but for you my suggestion is buy a used STI, enjoy AWD turbo with safe OEM parts.
definatley need more of this in our community.

keep in mind also if you buy a sti depending on the year they all have a major component that is super weak weather it be the 06-07 ring landings or the 04-05 tranny's these components break with minor modifications.
Old 02-03-2011, 01:09 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by nrgwar
Did you lower your price on your tC yet?
no i didnt yet but i will this spring for right now i cant get to my tc becasue there is a drift taller then me in my yard, but itll be lowered but just not my priotity right now.
Old 02-03-2011, 01:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I love these threads. However I recommend a WRX over an STi to most people. Easier to live with, also, less finicky. Plus I'm pretty sure WRX is cheaper on insurance.
Old 02-03-2011, 01:33 PM
SL Member

a buddy of mine has a wrx hybrid, everyone thinks its a regular wrx wagon...till he smokes em, pretty quick!!!
Old 02-03-2011, 01:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

a buddy of mine has a wrx hybrid, everyone thinks its a regular wrx wagon...till he smokes em, pretty quick!!!
wrx hybrid what? which wrx? an older 2.0 heads on a newer wrx block? sti block?
Old 02-03-2011, 01:44 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by bdis3
wrx hybrid what? which wrx? an older 2.0 heads on a newer wrx block? sti block?

yeah he has a 2003 wagon with a sti block in it, he was being a dumb*** and blew his 2.0 up 5 hrs away from his house and had to get a trailer and bring it back down.
Old 02-03-2011, 04:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah he has a 2003 wagon with a sti block in it, he was being a dumb*** and blew his 2.0 up 5 hrs away from his house and had to get a trailer and bring it back down.
Just the block? Because the only difference between the STI and older WRX's was .5L, usually the "hybrid" talk on NASIOC is that of big turbo's.

Quick Reply: Scion Tc or STI