Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Serpentine belt tensioner and Powertrain warranty

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 11:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Serpentine belt tensioner and Powertrain warranty

Is the serpentine belt tensioner covered under the powertrain warranty? Reason I ask is because mine is making this cracking sound at iddle and turns into more of a rattle when accelrating, and the dealer says it's not covered under the powertrain warranty. Thanks.

Edit: Forgot to add that I'm still under the 5 year/60,000 limit.
Old 10-24-2009, 01:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

have you messed with it at all i.e. put on aftermarket pulleys?
Old 10-24-2009, 02:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

^ good question. The reason i say that is because i have the nst pulley kit and was experiencing the same problem about a week ago and 2 days ago as i was driving home from work my power steering stopped working and my car started to overheat and when i popped the hood i find that my nst water pump pulley broke off. Luckily for me i had my stock water pump pulley in my car and tools.
Old 10-24-2009, 02:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

insoect your water pump pulley. if its spinning in a way that doesn't look normal def remove it and replace it with stock.... assuming you have an after market water pump pulley
Old 10-24-2009, 03:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

No my motor is stock. I'm gonna remove it see what's wrong with it. Hopefully I can fix it. New pulley/tensioner cost $150+.
Old 10-24-2009, 02:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

update.. nevermind i asked a dumb question..

the dealer says it's not covered? have you checked with scion to make sure? when you remove it, it helps to remove the lower plastic (passenger side) cover to get access. You'll have to remove the right front wheel too, makes it easier to get in there.
Old 10-24-2009, 04:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I would try another dealer personally..I have to call BS on not being covered..that's part of your powertrain and that is definitely a part that is not supposed to just break.
Old 10-24-2009, 07:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

that part won't be covered. powertrain is exactly that, it only covers engine/trans problems, not accessory parts.
Old 10-24-2009, 08:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That's lame..oh well..
Old 10-24-2009, 10:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

mine squeeks. i had forgot to spray lube, till this post reminded me.
Old 10-24-2009, 10:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

mine squeaks to actually..I was under the impression that was the belst slipping though? What exactly should I lubricate then and with what?

sorry to jack your thread OP haha
Old 10-25-2009, 06:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

spray a little wd40 on the belt. if it stops the noise then its be belt, it would be best to change it because the wd40 is a temp fix. if the noise doesn't change at all then its the tens. so then you would change both.
Old 10-28-2009, 03:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well I just got a reply from Scion about whether or not the tens. is covered under the powertrain warranty, and it's not.

Freaking dealer wants to charge $350 for changing it.

Needless to say I'm gonna do this myself, but there's one thing I'm not too sure about. In order to get the pulley out I have to undo two engine mounts and raise the engine until one long bolt holding the tens. clears the wheel well. Is it okay if I jack up the engine using the oil pan as a jacking point? I will be using a chunk of wood to distribute the weight of the engine.
Old 10-28-2009, 04:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by SFTifoso
Well I just got a reply from Scion about whether or not the tens. is covered under the powertrain warranty, and it's not.

Needless to say I'm gonna do this myself, but there's one thing I'm not too sure about. In order to get the pulley out I have to undo two engine mounts and raise the engine until one long bolt holding the tens. clears the wheel well. Is it okay if I jack up the engine using the oil pan as a jacking point? I will be using a chunk of wood to distribute the weight of the engine.

you do not have to take the engine mount out at all. I posted earlier about how you undo the right side plastic cover, you can see it once you take the right wheel off the car. Take the plastic shield off and you have access to the area where the belt/tensioner is.

and dont EVER think of jacking up the car using the oil pan! OUCH! that will rip apart the engine! The jacking point is up front at a point, the owner's manual tell you exactly where it is.

and once you jack it up, place the car on jackstands. Never do any work on the car with only the jack! not safe, and not good.
Old 10-28-2009, 04:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Why would you ever think it would be okay to jack up the car from the oil pan? I dont even see why you would consider that when there are plenty of other places.
Old 10-28-2009, 04:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionTific
SL Member

Originally Posted by SFTifoso

Originally Posted by sciontc_mich

and dont EVER think of jacking up the car using the oil pan! OUCH! that will rip apart the engine! The jacking point is up front at a point, the owner's manual tell you exactly where it is.

and once you jack it up, place the car on jackstands. Never do any work on the car with only the jack! not safe, and not good.
Originally Posted by DJ08tC
Why would you ever think it would be okay to jack up the car from the oil pan? I dont even see why you would consider that when there are plenty of other places.
Reading > Than you
Old 10-28-2009, 04:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

still why would you do that, i wouldnt put any weight on it
Old 10-28-2009, 04:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionTific
SL Member

I mean I wouldnt recommend it. But I would think it would be ok to quickly pop it up, and block it off from the bottom of the block. Block is relatively light.... prob more without the tranny hooked up. Idk if its recommended but you might be able to drop the block down unless that moves the pulley in the wrong direction XD
Old 10-28-2009, 04:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^^ please don't ANYONE listen to this! Lifting JUST the engine? You ARE lifting the car by not only the engine but the oil pan! the thing is made of light metal! You don't lift the car by this! If you want to keep your engine, you dont do that. wow..
Old 10-28-2009, 04:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm not planning on jacking up the car using the oil pan. I plan on jacking up the car, putting it on jack stands, undoing the engine mounts and then raising the engine to get that bolt out. Reason I need to raise the engine is because the bolt is long and won't come out with the tensioner sitting so close to the wheel well. There's barely any room in there. I'm gonna try to wiggle it out of course, but in case I can't get it out, I will need to raise the engine a bit. I'm trying to figure what's the best jacking point on the engine.

Quick Reply: Serpentine belt tensioner and Powertrain warranty