Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Should I feel stupid for buying an A/T?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2006, 09:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

You shouldn't feel stupid for buying an auto. There is not much you can do to change your transmission from auto to manal, so don't worry about it. If you are that unsure, go to the dealer, test drive a manual and see if you like it. If you like it, see what it would cost you to trade-in. You'll take a loss, but you'll have to determine for yourself if it is worth it. I personally have an auto and a 5-speed tC. I like them both, but they are very different cars. The auto is comfortable and easy, while the manual feels so much more powerful and spirited. You have to choose what is right for you, not what is right for everyone else on this forum.

They wouldn't make automatics if some people didn't prefer them.
Old 02-04-2006, 09:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Guys buying an auto is not a bad decision. However more performance is attainable from the manual. Just wait a bit longer there are several companies already developing a high stall speed TQ converter for our cars and other power accessories, give it time and keep the mods light or go FI. :D
Old 02-05-2006, 02:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I thought the auto was like 1 second plus slower 0-60 stock? This in the end would have to make it a loser vs. a 5 speed right? Not a loser in being a good car just a track and time thing?
Old 02-05-2006, 02:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Yeah an auto would definitely lose to a 5speed with a decent driver.
Old 02-05-2006, 04:46 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Automatics aren't all bad, they're still geared pretty agressively from what I remember of my test drive. Sure I enjoy having that little extra bit of control over my engine with my MT, but sometimes when I'm tired driving can feel a bit like a chore. Plus I don't tend to shift as well in my work shoes, so some of my shifts are crappy which is annoying. For as much fun as you can occasionally have with a manual, it'd be nice to just be able to cruise around and sip on a soda. So don't feel bad about your purchase, and take an extra sip for me! :D
Old 02-05-2006, 07:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
OhioScions
SL Member

yea i think ive deciced on just waitin to boost mine until everybody has perfected it all
heh
Old 02-05-2006, 08:57 AM
5 Year Member

Thanks again guys. What exactly does the high--speed stall torque converter do. In lehmans terms or otherwise...
Old 02-05-2006, 09:00 AM
5 Year Member

I agree Eppo, it seems like to much of a risk, especially for young people like us that dont have a**piles of cash, and not to mention the warranty that we paid good money for.
Old 02-05-2006, 11:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by GWARtC
Thanks again guys. What exactly does the high--speed stall torque converter do. In lehmans terms or otherwise...
As you know a torque converter transfers mechanical energy between the engine and the transmission. A high-stall torque converter allows you to stage at a higher RPM. Simply put, when you have your foot on the brake and gas, there is a certain RPM now that you can launch under and get good results, with the high-stall that RPM number will be higher allowing you to be closer to the power band and get better launches.
Old 02-05-2006, 12:52 PM
5 Year Member

Ahhhhhhh...I want one along with those 11:1 pistons zpi makes....that would be sexy.
Old 02-06-2006, 02:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by GWARtC
Torque converter is key to improved performance in an automatic with boost. By replacing your converter, it is like having a variable gear ratio. People always think that if you have a high stall converter, your car won't start to move untill you hit that RPM, not true at all. They just are not transfering 100% of the power that it is able to. ( Unless you have a lock up converter, it will never transfer 100% of the power. Just 100% of the power it is capable) The stall rating is just the point when the converter is transfering all the power it can. So you want to pick a converter based on what RPM your power band is, boost and cam and what not. A converter is the first thing you should go for if your are planning on running an automatic for drag. To sum it up. They won't give you more power, they will help you utlize the power that you have.
Old 02-07-2006, 11:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

eh... im trading in my auto no matter what, gonna lose have to pay 3 grand more after taxes for an 06 mt, but it will be worth it for me. Auto puts me to sleep, even though i know how to own a is300 with it, i still getburned by freaking is350's. Im still getting a pretty good deal though because my car has like 5 grand worth of unnoticeable damage to it . So y keep an late 04/05 tc when i can get a fresh 06 lol
Old 02-10-2006, 08:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yes, very stupid.
Old 02-11-2006, 02:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well, well, well. ZPI just announced their Automatic tC electronic shift kit and valve body upgrades will be available by the end of Feb.

It's high time the Auto's represent.....Nothing like smokin a guy while he's shifting his brains out and your drinking a soda and talking on the phone.
Old 02-11-2006, 05:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The only reasons I know of why anyone who really enjoys driving a sporty car would get an automatic are:
A. You don't know how to drive a manual and are too scared or too stubborn to learn.
B. You need one hand free at all times to smoke joints. A friend of mine claimed this is why he wanted to buy a new RSX with automatic. I prefer to drive sober.

I like to have more control over my car. I like being in the right gear to power out of turns. My tC is my fourth car and all have been manuals. I come from a manual-driving family... my going-on-60-years-old mom recently replaced her mini van with an Outback and it's a manual. With the factory short-shift kit.

So unless you feel stupid because my mom is more hardcore than you, then you're fine.
Old 02-11-2006, 05:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...322&highlight= heres why you buy an auto. :D
Old 03-02-2006, 11:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Scion Dad is correct for straight line drag races, though he has admitted stick is better in the turns. If the AT can be converted to a Manual Valve Body, THEN we have a serious debate on our hands. I have driven MT for 12 years and now AT for the last few years. In Miami, the roads are just too congested to have fun chirping tires in 2nd and 3rd anymore. So a AT is a trade-off 5-10% of the time in the car, but less of a headache for the other 90%.
For Example: If you have a J-O-B that requires a 45-60 minute drive (or really a CRAWL) each way - and every day - you would understand. Fortunately I still have a MT as a back up if I am feeling frisky.
Old 03-03-2006, 02:04 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by chadfo
There's nothing wrong with an automatic. There are only 3 problems with an automatic that I see:
1. They add more weight
2. You can't launch as hard as a manual
3. You can't control the RPMs as easily if you are auto-Xing or just spirited driving through curvy roads

What you gain by having an automatic:
1. In many cases above 20 MPH the auto will be faster than a manual because most people can't outshift an auto
2. Higher resale value
3. Better for just cruising around or heavy traffic
4. When you get married you can let your wife have it and you get the new car. If she can't drive a manual, she gets the new car.
one more problem! the cost a bit more
Old 03-03-2006, 02:12 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by Jarrod123
Originally Posted by chadfo
There's nothing wrong with an automatic. There are only 3 problems with an automatic that I see:
1. They add more weight
2. You can't launch as hard as a manual
3. You can't control the RPMs as easily if you are auto-Xing or just spirited driving through curvy roads

What you gain by having an automatic:
1. In many cases above 20 MPH the auto will be faster than a manual because most people can't outshift an auto
2. Higher resale value
3. Better for just cruising around or heavy traffic
4. When you get married you can let your wife have it and you get the new car. If she can't drive a manual, she gets the new car.
one more problem! the cost a bit more
and thats why the resale is higher.
Old 03-03-2006, 02:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

that's a good one

Quick Reply: Should I feel stupid for buying an A/T?