Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

So why does adding a header make the terrible raspy sound?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 07:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default So why does adding a header make the terrible raspy sound?

Its a shame, really. On my old honda it made it sound very good. Is there a way around it? I mean, who couldn't use that 8 more hp, right?!
Old 07-30-2008, 07:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

In the future search...

but your exhaust tone becomes raspy because installing an aftermarket header removes the primary catalytic converter. This changes the tone of the exhaust that is not proporly matched with the stock resonator. Thus the way to solve the problem is to have a larger resonator installed onto a custom midpipe or onto your stock midpipe. I myself am about to have a custom mid pipe with a 33" magnaflow resonator fabbed and installed either this or next week in order to deal with header rasp
Old 07-30-2008, 07:56 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

Trader
SL Member

what he said^
lol

and i find it hard to believe that you had a honda with a header that sounded good. what was the rest of the exhaust setup?
Old 07-30-2008, 11:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

Originally Posted by yellowxhoodie
what he said^
lol

and i find it hard to believe that you had a honda with a header that sounded good. what was the rest of the exhaust setup?
x2, u beat me to that honda comment
Old 07-31-2008, 12:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by BuddhasTC
what he said^
lol

lol on not believing me. If I said I was Donald Trump, that, would be hard to believe. If I said I breathe lava and poo cranberry juice, that, would be hard to believe.

My setup on the civic was: dc header w/2.25in pipe with 2 20in resonators and 1 high flow cat with a Greddy World Sport II muffler. It was only slightly louder than stock, yet had a nice low tone. Zero rasp as I don't do rasp. Obviously, I had the standard short throw shifter, cold air intake, crower stage 2 cams, and skunk2 intake manifold.
Old 07-31-2008, 01:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

2x20inch resonators... 40inches in all. If you were to remove those 40 inches, you would end up with CRAZY rasp.

30inches of good resonator in our midpipe will do away with the rasp for the tC so... yeah...
Old 07-31-2008, 01:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You are not seriously trying to start a ____ing match of how many inches of resonator it takes to quiet some rasp are you?

There are FAR too many variables. Plus, relax bud. I'm on your side. I've sold the civic and am buying a tc this weekend. No need for the hostility.
Old 07-31-2008, 01:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Balliztik
SL Member

Well the main reason to my understanding for rasp is lack of flow restriction and as the gasses are now flowing faster they create a higher raspy sound that needs filtered.....

My new MMR header made a lot of rasp.......sounded like a weekwacker on steroids at 3000RPM......put in 2 12" resonators and it took almost all of it away......I have the TRD exhaust which is about the worst to use with aheader from what I have heard......

Soon going to Greddy which I know is throatier and deeper sounding with a bit higher volume......

I imagine I will still always have some rasp to deal with but my engine looks sooo much better now.......and car runs better too....and so far 300 miles and not a problem or CEL.
Old 07-31-2008, 01:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^ Thanks
Old 07-31-2008, 02:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

ok...so if you already knew about the resonators quieting down the header...then why did you ask "is there a way around it" You already know the answer!! I feel a fail comin...
Old 07-31-2008, 03:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Scionce
SL Member

Originally Posted by Agent99
lol on not believing me. If I said I was Donald Trump, that, would be hard to believe. If I said I breathe lava and poo cranberry juice, that, would be hard to believe.
Wait, wait, wait...You poo Cranberry Juice?!

I demand pictures!
Old 07-31-2008, 05:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by Agent99
what he said^
lol

My setup on the civic was: dc header w/2.25in pipe with 2 20in resonators and 1 high flow cat with a Greddy World Sport II muffler. It was only slightly louder than stock, yet had a nice low tone. Zero rasp as I don't do rasp. Obviously, I had the standard short throw shifter, cold air intake, crower stage 2 cams, and skunk2 intake manifold.
you know...my friend said something similar that too about having headers on his civic not making it sound like crap. when i showed him videos of our cars with headers he was like...wtf?!
Old 07-31-2008, 05:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

so is it possible to run megan header with 2.5" header back exhaust with 2 20" resonators or just one big one and not have any rasp?
Old 07-31-2008, 06:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Whoa Agent, don't get all aggressive man. I was just stating that you added resonators to help with rasp on your Civic with those numbers. I, in no way, wanted to start anything (maybe it was interpreted that way, i don't know).

You added resonators on your Civic to help lessen the rasp on the car.
Do the same for the tC, and you'll be fine. Oh, and welcome to the boards.
Old 07-31-2008, 06:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Kris5597
so is it possible to run megan header with 2.5" header back exhaust with 2 20" resonators or just one big one and not have any rasp?
rasp is inevitable..

you can only calm it down.. theres no cure.. unless u get rid of hte headers... even with resonators, ur gonna get some rasp..
Old 07-31-2008, 06:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yea well with my setup i have some rasp but pretty much none at all. i have a video of my setup with tsudo header and s pipe with my factory midpipe with added aero25 resonator and megan axel back and i have no rasp. would u like to see? now i have a megan header with tanabe concept g and i only have rasp when the pipes are cold but when they heat up no rasp. i can make a video of that as well. i hate rasp. TURBO FTW!!!
Old 07-31-2008, 06:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Air2TheThrown
Whoa Agent, don't get all aggressive man. I was just stating that you added resonators to help with rasp on your Civic with those numbers. I, in no way, wanted to start anything (maybe it was interpreted that way, i don't know).

You added resonators on your Civic to help lessen the rasp on the car.
Do the same for the tC, and you'll be fine. Oh, and welcome to the boards.
So many people to reply to, so little time...but I'll give it a shot- starting with you.

You assume I added resonators to help with rasp on my civic. Wrong. I added resonators to keep the exhaust quiet. You see, rasp (and pay attention folks- this is the entire point of this thread) is not a naturally occurring thing on civics. If you take a civic, just like a tc, and do NOTHING ELSE BUT REPLACE THE STOCK HEADER WITH AN AFTERMARKET HEADER, you will have no rasp in a civic and you will have rasp with a tc. My question was, why.

Originally Posted by xdejablu3x
you know...my friend said something similar that too about having headers on his civic not making it sound like crap. when i showed him videos of our cars with headers he was like...wtf?!
I'm telling you man. Its a tc thing.

Originally Posted by Firefightin_tC
Wait, wait, wait...You poo Cranberry Juice?!

I demand pictures!
You have to earn the pics!

ok...so if you already knew about the resonators quieting down the header...then why did you ask "is there a way around it" You already know the answer!! I feel a fail comin...
The only fail is in your reading comprehension.

Take 1 stock civic. Take 1 stock tc. Replace NOTHING on both cars except the header. Rev civic. No rasp. Rev tc. Rasp. My post was aiming for an answer (along scientific principals) as to why.

I believe the reason many of you think civics make rasp is because a large portion of their owners are ricers and choose to install ____ty rasp-spitting fart canons instead of sophisticated well tuned mufflers.

Hopefully you can see my point.
Old 07-31-2008, 06:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
1UP Crew
SL Member

^Dude....i gota question. Isn't agent 99 the hitman in the Hitman video games?
Old 07-31-2008, 06:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Take 1 stock civic. Take 1 stock tc. Replace NOTHING on both cars except the header. Rev civic. No rasp. Rev tc. Rasp. My post was aiming for an answer (along scientific principals) as to why.

I believe the reason many of you think civics make rasp is because a large portion of their owners are ricers and choose to install ____ty rasp-spitting fart canons instead of sophisticated well tuned mufflers.

Hopefully you can see my point.[/quote]

i agree with him i used to have a prelude and had no rasp when installing the header, and wondered why the scions create more rasp, now i see that i forgot to think of the resonator.

agreed a lot of civics are ricers and have ebay mufflers but some of us have the SP2 and brand named stuff on our hondas! so dont hate! haha
Old 07-31-2008, 06:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by tkevin07

Hopefully you can see my point.
i agree with him i used to have a prelude and had no rasp when installing the header, and wondered why the scions create more rasp, now i see that i forgot to think of the resonator.

agreed a lot of civics are ricers and have ebay mufflers but some of us have the SP2 and brand named stuff on our hondas! so dont hate! haha[/quote]

Good to have some backup here.

So you think a resonator will shut down most/all of the rasp on a header equipped tc?

Quick Reply: So why does adding a header make the terrible raspy sound?