Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Still got the alaphawerks header noise!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2007, 02:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Still got the alaphawerks header noise!!!!

So because of this annoying noise I have taken the headers off, and put them on, more times than I can remember. I even had my exhaust guy put a few spot welds on the location where it might be rattling between the header pipes and creating that horrible noise around 3500-5500rpm. I wrapped the headers too and maybe this helped, but not enough.

Do all headers for the Tc do this? I gotta know, cuz if there is a nice header that does not produce that noise I hear then these Alaphawerks headers are for sale! I am sure somebody will buy them as they are a great race header.. Anyway, if you think it is a rasp noise, that is not the case. This is just noise coming from the header and not out of the tail pipe.

I hope this post will have knowledgeable replies

This is before I wrapped the header..
Old 09-06-2007, 02:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

header is wacking the metal pipe that goes up the middle of your car under the front. I think its the crossmember? You can see where the S-Pipe is wacking if you look.
Old 09-06-2007, 03:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

nah, I checked all that, but thanks anyway.
Old 09-06-2007, 05:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you are selling the headers give me a P.M.
Old 09-06-2007, 04:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i have never heard any noise when i had it on......you might wanna check your installation again.

also i didnt have any support on the bottom as well, it was just haning there w/o brackets. but everything was fine
Old 09-06-2007, 04:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TCFROEZEL
If you are selling the headers give me a P.M.
I will let you know if I do.
Old 09-06-2007, 04:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

All is well with the install, so there are no mistakes, even my exhaust guy knows it's something with the headers.

When I first bought the headers, I took them out of the box and I inspected them very close and I even had an idea to check for small holes just around the welds and where the collector meets the tubes. So with a flash light and a close look I did in fact see light coming through! I contacted Nexus and luckily they are here in Miami; so I drove down there and showed them what I found and they gave me a new header. ( It was a good thing I checked the first time huh)!!

So I believe something is bo bo with this particular header. It's too bad I got the bad one..

I would love to hear what another Alphawerks sounds like!
Old 09-06-2007, 05:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I thought Nexus stopped making the header?
Old 09-06-2007, 05:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yes, he prolly got a new one a long time ago
Old 09-06-2007, 05:47 PM
1AZ
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

let me guess its a ticking kinda of noise ?

all alphawerks headers make that noise it is common but not faulty by any means

if you didnt mount the lower brackets to the crank case than your lookin at crackin them welds down there for sure if seen many guys crack them welds do to not mounting brackets down there

them holes are there for a reason!exhuast shakes at hard take off making that spot a strees point if no brackets are on.

i love my alaphawerks header and wouldnt trade it in for any othere header at all!

hands down thats just me though. and my welds were all perfect maybe mine was one of the first batch they made . after ahwile i imagine quality can drop !.but who knows?
Old 09-06-2007, 05:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ima chime in on this ****..

the only things that can cause rasp are gonna be the list below. but like i told you in that other thread.. rasp is kinda normal on any car and is not brand specific..all car manf. usually get some rasp when an aftermarket header is added... but there are ways to solve that issue...

1. install error is the biggest thing.
2. no gaskets and gasket sealers either on the header to block, or header to spipe flange...
3. flanges have breaks in the welds causing the primaries to bang against the flange(usually happens on the main flange but can also happen in the collector or also were the primaries are merged before the collector..(which requires major inspection on allll the welds..)
4. bolts on the header to spipe arent tightend enough or are to tight with the spring and the spring is rattling ot causing to much metal vibration. ( can be cured by using and extra gasket (2 2 bolt gaskets which are about 1/8th in thickness and then using copper gasket sealer to ensure the flanges are nicely separated and have some mild play from the sealer.
5. primaries are to close to each other and are vibrating on each other. (this should not be cured with spot welds since they can chip and break and your back to ssquare 1.. take a long STRONG screw driver and insert inbetween the primaries and push/pull inbetween the primaries to separate them a little more.. (not to much so u dont break any welds..

those things above i would go over or try.. that should help.. but in worst case you will need a resonator and that usually does the trick to eliminate the rasp.
Old 09-07-2007, 11:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

All I have to say is Praise God !

God showed me what the problem was.... Man, it's been over two years!
So, it was the stupid spark plug extender thing that goes on the s-pipe. All of you know it's to prevent a cel. Anyways, the 02 sensor was hitting on the steering rack, I have noticed it before but I never thought that was causing that freaking noise! When I put my car on the lift there was about a 1/4 inch gap between the 02 sensor and the steering rack, but you can see a mark on the rack that looked like something had been rubbing on it. SHABAM !

While I had the car on the lift I changed the grease fittings on my Hotchkis front sway bar so they are easier to get to. The new fitting has a 90 degree angle on it.

NO NOISE, NO RATTLE, NO NADA!

Thanks for everyone's input.
Old 09-08-2007, 01:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

if u still wanna sell Pm me. LOL
Old 09-10-2007, 12:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TCFROEZEL
if u still wanna sell Pm me. LOL
I am gonna keep the headers now, but I am sure somebody is selling some in the classified here in SL or CraigsList.com