Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

tC spipe mod hp gain?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2005, 09:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Default tC spipe mod hp gain?

I was thinking about keeping my stock header and exhaust but changing the Spipe and adding the supercharger next year. Does anybody think this would be my best bet? What is the power increase w/ just the spipe change? I dont want to change my header because of the cell issue and the increase in sound so I might add a new catback later but was wondering how things would be if i added just the Spipe? Does anybody know the performance change that would take place if I had a completely stock car but a k&n intake (which i currently have) and a new spipe?
Old 11-26-2005, 09:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

it wont hurt anyhting, but you would see little to no gains. The cat in the factory exhaust manifold is the major restriction in the exhaust system.
Old 11-26-2005, 09:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by The_Instigator
it wont hurt anyhting, but you would see little to no gains. The cat in the factory exhaust manifold is the major restriction in the exhaust system.
so the only real gain would mean I need both the spipe and catback? I was thinking about draxas.... i am waiting on them to reply w/ feedback (they are dyno'nga few things in a few days).

also - when installing a new s-pipe ---do you need to add any other hardware so this spipe will work? ....meaning ...like the header... are you going to throw a cel or anything of this nature?
Old 11-26-2005, 10:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Direct bolt in on the s-pipe...no extra hardware required. Even with a full exhaust sytem, the s-pipe wont add much HP without a header...agian it wont hurt...but it wont help much until everything is upgraded.
Old 11-26-2005, 10:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by The_Instigator
Direct bolt in on the s-pipe...no extra hardware required. Even with a full exhaust sytem, the s-pipe wont add much HP without a header...agian it wont hurt...but it wont help much until everything is upgraded.
it sounds crazy but I dont understand why nobody makes a performance header that doesnt make the car sound like its an 89 civic. I know that its because of the air flow that there is increased noise but for a few less hp there must be a way to fix this. Draxas is comming out with a header soon - im waiting to see how it looks.
Old 11-26-2005, 10:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Its not so much the header as the exhaust sytems out there are not capable of handling the extra flow and the built in rasp the engine develops. It seems that cars with the proper resonator setups arent raspy with headers at all. Nobody has come out with an exhaust sytem developed for cars with headers so they have all been raspy. Hopefully the new Draxas sytem with resonator will sound good with a header installed. Im also interested to see what the precision muffler cat back sounds like..they use a pretty big magnaflow muffler that should be able to help kill the rasp.
Old 11-27-2005, 05:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have the Megan header and ZPI s-pipe with the stock exhaust and I don't experience a whole lot of rasp, its very minimal, infact my injen cold air intake is louder then everything else.
Old 11-27-2005, 05:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by gwtc
I have the Megan header and ZPI s-pipe with the stock exhaust and I don't experience a whole lot of rasp, its very minimal, infact my injen cold air intake is louder then everything else.
how loud is it? do you feel any performance increase? Should I be worried about changing my header/spipe before the supercharger or after?
Old 11-27-2005, 06:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jwaggz82
Originally Posted by gwtc
how loud is it? do you feel any performance increase? Should I be worried about changing my header/spipe before the supercharger or after?
Its not very loud, like I said before, my intake is louder, in fact, thats really all you can hear. Yes, you do feel the performance increase the first time you get in and drive your car with these mods on, from what I have read from other tC owners who have installed the SC, they recommend installing the header of your choice first and then installing the SC, why? its allot harder to install the header with the SC on the way of the header bolts, hope that makes sense.
Old 12-04-2005, 03:49 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

gwtc has a post with his megan header and the intake....

look at it:
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...er+video+megan

to me the intake/header/s-pipe sounds even quiter than the trd exhaust.... can you confirm that gwtc?

Samael
Old 12-04-2005, 05:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

I like the way it sounds but have come to reality and im not going to swap out the header due to warranty issues. Since im getting rid of one of the cats I want the extra power but not going to do it. I like the video but the third one sounds a lil bit raspy (but overall it sounds nice).

i wouldnt spend $400 on a trd for 1hp. im going draxas soon as they release it.
Old 12-04-2005, 05:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Im still undecided on any header install just because nobody out there has a bulletproof anti-cel. but i might put an s-pipe first and dyno again later.
Old 12-04-2005, 06:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

spipe is going to let it breathe better
Old 12-04-2005, 11:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by viro
gwtc has a post with his megan header and the intake....

look at it:
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...er+video+megan

to me the intake/header/s-pipe sounds even quiter than the trd exhaust.... can you confirm that gwtc?

Samael
Yes it is, my friend has the Megan header, Injen cold air intake and TRD exhaust and its loud as hell, he already got pulled over for it and got a ticket, he needs to add a big azz resonator to quiet that puppy down. Me on the other hand with my set-up no cop problems yet(knock on wood), I've driven next to cops and they don't even give me a second look, if you drive it calmly you can't really hear anything, now if you punch it, you will turn heads, no joke.
Old 12-04-2005, 11:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Mine is the same way..quiet as stock unless I get on it. More of the noise comes from the intake than anything else.
Old 12-05-2005, 02:41 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

gwtc... does your header comes with the pre-cat or not? i saw a pic of a megan header with a little pre-cat, i guess that since i'm looking to keep my car as quiet as possible, yet i want to add a header, it might be better to get the one with the little pre-cat...

just a tough...
Old 12-05-2005, 03:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have just the CC S-pipe and no other exhuast or intake mods.

It starts off the line better, it feels smoother through the rpms with a little bit less drop. No dramatic speed increase but overall it drives better. Plus I'm ready once I install exhaust and possibly a header.
Old 12-05-2005, 04:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by viro
gwtc... does your header comes with the pre-cat or not? i saw a pic of a megan header with a little pre-cat, i guess that since i'm looking to keep my car as quiet as possible, yet i want to add a header, it might be better to get the one with the little pre-cat...

just a tough...
No, I don't have a pre-cat on mine, Megan used to make it with one, but it keeped braking off into pieces, so they redesigned it without a pre-cat. I don't think anybody else makes one with a pre-cat right now.