Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

TRD drop-in filter harmful to your scion tC

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2006, 07:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default TRD drop-in filter harmful to your scion tC

Yesterday I went to a dealership and wanted to buy a TRD drop-in air filter to replace my stock one. The tech guy told me not to buy it because it may damage my scion tc some kind of the air induction sensor on the intake. If that thing fails, then I need to pay $200 dollars to fix it. Does anyone here know if it is true? what about K&N? does anyone hear any problems what so ever on those Drop-in filter? Any input will be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 02-05-2006, 07:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Generally any reusable filter that needs some type of "tack" oil for filtration can cause problems with the sensor(MAF) if OVER oiled. If you follow the manufacturers instructions for cleaning and reapplying the oil to the air filter, you should be ok.

I over oiled my Amsoil foam air filter on my Tacoma once, and caused a CEL. Turned out some oil residue got on my MAF. If this happens, you can do 2 things, buy a new MAF, or try and clean your original. Since I figured I had nothing to loose, I tried cleaning my original. I bought some plastic safe, non-residue electronics contact cleaner. Sprayed the hell outta the MAF and then let it air dry. Reset the ECU, and the CEL was no more.
Old 02-05-2006, 07:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

That tech guys is a retard or he didn’t know what he was talking about. You shouldn’t trip about anything falling or getting sucked up because those high flow filters are pretty well built and if anything happens no worries because your charcoal filter will catch anything that would get past your main filter...
Old 02-05-2006, 07:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i dont know why this is in force induction , but stock filter size wont fit the trd box since its bigger, you need to get a larger one. i have one on mine but i forgot the part number. if you want it il PM it to you.
Old 02-05-2006, 08:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I have the K&N for a while now and there has been no issues. It is a OEM replacment part. If it means anything to you , the filter does not do anything. I noticed no difference.
Old 02-05-2006, 08:53 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Only problem w/ the K&N or TRD replacement filter is the recharge oil on the filter. Like Jowie said, if it gets on the sensor, it's a problem.. and that's about it.

Besides that, only thing that will be going in is more air & particulates going through that TRD/K&N filter.

K&N used to make the TRD filter... I don't if it's still that way