Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Troubleshooting 05 Scion tC Misfire! any takers?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 05:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by creamyxb2
have you done a leak down test.

yeah. Leak down test is perfect.
Old 12-23-2014, 12:57 AM

Originally Posted by davidward
yeah. Leak down test is perfect.
I was sooo hoping this thread would have continued for another 5 pages, ending with a solution. I have had the same situation and misfire codes for so long, I wouldn't even know what to do if my car idled without misfire. Runs great, idles/misfires rough. Swapped everything I could. Still a mystery. HELP! lol
Old 12-24-2014, 12:11 AM
5 Year Member

jabeel: Do you have a code reader? A bad misfire can fool the computer into thinking it is on multiple cylinders. The trouble codes will tell you one thing, but it was the real time tests on the Torque app that really let me know which cylinder was the problem: it will count the misfires on each cylinder individually - the one with most is probably your actual culprit. Once you figure out which cylinder it is, swap your coils around and see if the problem moves. If so, you need at least one new coil, if not, try the same thing with your spark plugs.

Fixing these problems is a process of elimination, and anything you can do without spending money is good!
Old 12-30-2014, 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by Marvelicious
jabeel: Do you have a code reader? A bad misfire can fool the computer into thinking it is on multiple cylinders. The trouble codes will tell you one thing, but it was the real time tests on the Torque app that really let me know which cylinder was the problem: it will count the misfires on each cylinder individually - the one with most is probably your actual culprit. Once you figure out which cylinder it is, swap your coils around and see if the problem moves. If so, you need at least one new coil, if not, try the same thing with your spark plugs.

Fixing these problems is a process of elimination, and anything you can do without spending money is good!

Marvelicious, Thank you for chiming in! We have risen this thread from the dead, lol. When I used the Snap-On reader it was ticking the misfires like crazy on both cylinders. I swapped coils, swapped plugs (iridium -1), got new injectors and probably a few other things that slip my mind at the moment. Nothing. Same ol' misfire. I can really only tell at an idle because she runs great when I'm on the gas. Hmmmm..scratching my head. Either way, thank you! Hoping for some other ideas!
Old 12-31-2014, 12:51 AM
5 Year Member

Thread necro... Mods: if this is a problem, we'll happily move it elsewhere, but this seems as good a place as any

So it is fairly constantly missing on all cylinders and not moving about when you swap components? That would indicate a problem common to all cylinders. Let's see, other easy things to try (that you've possibly tried already): clean and test your maf sensor (probably not it, but it can't hurt and it's easy), look for intake leaks with a can of starting fluid or a snuffed out torch, check your fuel pressure and maybe run a compression check on the engine....

You can Google how to do any of these tests if you aren't familiar with them. I'd explain them, but I can almost guarantee someone has already done a better job on YouTube somewhere.
Old 01-20-2015, 09:09 PM
5 Year Member

Well I think. It could be your iat sensor, since it has new plugs new coils, new injectors and the compression test was good. The egr could cause misfired as well.
Old 01-31-2015, 04:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

was this ever fixed ??
Old 02-02-2015, 02:07 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member