Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Wheelhop

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2005, 08:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Wheelhop

I noticed lately when I launch my car pretty hard with someone in the passenger seat my car has really had wheel hop. sometimes my dvd player will shut off from all the hopping which is kinda annoying. you can even feel some hop when you shift isn't 2nd gear.

when I'm driving around by myself and I launch the wheel hop isn't bad at all, it spins more the hops.

Anyone making motor mounts for the tC yet? Or anything else that would help this problem? I'm guessing springs might help but I'm not sure, wheel hop was never really a problem on any other cars I've had.

I guess not launching it hard or driving around by myself would be the easiest fix, but that's no fun. :D
Old 01-13-2005, 09:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

weapon R has an engine dampener kit that should reduce wheel hop, not sure about aftermarket engine mounts but I'm sure you could get some custom fabricated out of a ice absorbant material.

EDIT: ahh seems I jumped the gun there.... here's a thread with a closing statement by Weapon R stating they are only in their prototype stage on the engine dampener kit....

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...&highlight=hop
Old 01-13-2005, 10:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Otocan
weapon R has an engine dampener kit that should reduce wheel hop, not sure about aftermarket engine mounts but I'm sure you could get some custom fabricated out of a ice absorbant material.

EDIT: ahh seems I jumped the gun there.... here's a thread with a closing statement by Weapon R stating they are only in their prototype stage on the engine dampener kit....

Otocan, this is totally off topic: Your signature is awesome. Where'd you get it?
Old 01-13-2005, 10:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Otocan

thanks for the reply, that should help alot once it comes out. i hate wheel hop.
Old 01-13-2005, 10:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
AlphaSquad
Seven City Scions
SL Member

Motor Mount inserts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 1/4 of the price! of the dampener kit.
Old 01-13-2005, 11:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
AlphaSquad
Seven City Scions
SL Member

just emailed Eneregy suspension and hope for a response!
Old 01-13-2005, 01:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I don't get wheel hop or spin very often. Even if I launch it quick I can normally launch it without much spin. Now into second if I try to do it quick and don't do it just right I can spin the tires there, but really that's not the proper way to shift, even if you are racing the car. Maybe you need to change your driving style.
Old 01-14-2005, 05:14 AM
5 Year Member

es mount inserts are definitely the way to go. I'm getting a set for my si saturday.
Old 01-14-2005, 09:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
AlphaSquad
Seven City Scions
SL Member

yea i havent gottan wheel hop yet at all. even when i gun it and shift hard into second and third............they chirp but no wheel hop. i havent really launched the car just yet or practiced launching it. also i thought the front of the tC was crazy heavy, i mean it has a 2.4 engine up front.
Old 01-14-2005, 02:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Gmoney
yea i havent gottan wheel hop yet at all. even when i gun it and shift hard into second and third............they chirp but no wheel hop. i havent really launched the car just yet or practiced launching it. also i thought the front of the tC was crazy heavy, i mean it has a 2.4 engine up front.
have you dropped the clutch at 2 or 3,000 rpms with a passenger? i'm not making this up, the car has wheel hop. you don't notice it as much without a passenger.
Old 05-26-2006, 01:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Any news on motor mounts???
Old 05-26-2006, 03:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Wow, I barely remember creating this thread.

ZPI is still working on some motor mounts, they aren't out yet.

I installed the ingalls stiffy about a month ago and it stopped all of my wheel hop. I'm not really interested in the motor mounts anymore.
Old 05-26-2006, 05:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

Use the Ingalls Stiffy, seems to help. :D
Old 05-26-2006, 06:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yea, but my strut tower bracket bent on the Ingalls...
Old 05-26-2006, 06:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Yeah i dont want something that seems to help....or causes problems...or breaks....which i have read alot about....i would like to have motor mounts......so i will keep my eyes on ZPI then
Old 05-26-2006, 07:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yea im waiting on the MM, dont care how much they are gonna cost either..
Old 05-26-2006, 07:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Fsu1dolfan
Yeah i dont want something that seems to help....or causes problems...or breaks....which i have read alot about....i would like to have motor mounts......so i will keep my eyes on ZPI then
I don't think anyone has had problems with the ingalls stiffy breaking, only the weapon r damper.

I believe ZPI mentioned that the motor mounts are going to be close to $400 whenever they come out.
Old 05-26-2006, 08:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Understand that you pay for quality.....those brackets that you put on not only could mess up a tower strut bar, which would ____ me off but the main problem is where it attaches.

The bracket attaches to the bolts of you passenger side wheel mount...we all know that it is strong but image every time you drive the weight of your engine is being supported by just those bolts......case in point why these bend, break, or cause any other problems whatsoever....not exactly an efficient way to control wheel hop....let alone that fact that you "could" possibly weaken those bolts many years down the road and that’s a major problem.....also motor mounts are evenly distributed and the bracket only works on the one side....look to each their own as far as modding and I am not telling you that you’re wrong, but don’t try to tell me that a cheap quick fix is better then actually replacing better motor mounts with the same design as which they were originally intended....adding a bracket that was never there doesn’t really help Unless it is evenly supported and attached to the frame NOT bolts for you wheel.....got it!!!
Old 05-26-2006, 08:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^ Thats why my ingalls bracket is bent, so much stress. Maybe they can send me a new bracket..
Old 05-26-2006, 08:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Fsu1dolfan
The bracket attaches to the bolts of you passenger side wheel mount...we all know that it is strong but image every time you drive the weight of your engine is being supported by just those bolts......case in point why these bend, break, or cause any other problems whatsoever....not exactly an efficient way to control wheel hop....let alone that fact that you "could" possibly weaken those bolts many years down the road and that’s a major problem.....also motor mounts are evenly distributed and the bracket only works on the one side....look to each their own as far as modding and I am not telling you that you’re wrong, but don’t try to tell me that a cheap quick fix is better then actually replacing better motor mounts with the same design as which they were originally intended....adding a bracket that was never there doesn’t really help Unless it is evenly supported and attached to the frame NOT bolts for you wheel.....got it!!!
I don't think the stiffy is a better fix, it's just far cheaper & way easier to install. It does the job. It took me about 20 minutes to install the stiffy, how long would it take you to install motor mounts? Most people wouldn't even attempt to do that installation their self, so that's even more money added on to the $400 for motor mounts.

And adding a bracket does help, the engine barely moves at all on the stiff setting. It also elimated wheelhop completely for me.. I don't need anything else.

About the "causing problems in the future" comment: Ingalls has been making these stiffy's for several different cars for awhile now.. It's not like it's some new thing they tryed for the tC.. I've yet to see anyone have problems with the stiffy breaking or causing problems with your stock motor mounts.

zer0, you might of just had a defective bracket.. I'm sure they would send you a new one, they seemed really cool when I called.

Quick Reply: Wheelhop