Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Wheels in the air, bad noise rotating wheel from transaxle/diff

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2014, 11:26 PM
5 Year Member

Default Wheels in the air, bad noise rotating wheel from transaxle/diff

Hey guys,
I got a used 06 TC and I noticed something strange that has me a bit concerned. With both front tires in the air if you grab one and spin it forward/back you get a pretty decent clunk/click from the transaxle. This doesn't concern me too much as I know it's backlash in the ring/pinion but I get a ball bearing rolling around/ something loose or broken as well. IDK if it's something in the carrier/spider gears or if this is normal on these cars?
I get no binding, chunky feeling or issues spinning by hand but the noise has me concerned.
Anyone relate?
Old 12-04-2014, 01:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm guessing its a manual? How many miles?
Old 12-04-2014, 04:40 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by Basebllstar
I'm guessing its a manual? How many miles?
Yeah manual, 85k miles. Mechanically shifts fine but I'm getting a nasty low frequency vibration from the DF tire that made me start doing exploratory surgery. I was going to pop off the black metal cover (transaxle oil pan?) to look but didn't yet.
Old 12-04-2014, 04:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'd check the wheel bearing. You say you thought you heard a loose ball bearing and you have a slight vibration.

Lift the car up and see if you're able to rock the attached wheel side to side and up and down using the wheel's hub as the central fulcrum. If it's bad, sometimes there will be play. If you are feeling play, make sure its not just the wheel moving or some other suspension component (tie rod, etc.) worn.
Old 12-04-2014, 06:45 PM
5 Year Member

Yeah I checked all that. When I say the loose bearing noise, it's laying under the car with it off and rocking the tire/cv shaft forward then backwards.
The previous owner did both front wheel bearings. I re-checked them for axial and radial run-out as well as plunge finding no issues. Balljoints and tie rod ends are tight.
Mostly I'm just looking for someone who can say that yes, they've lifted their wheel off the ground, rocked it forward/back while laying under the transmission and hears the same thing or no, that is wack.

I'd check the wheel bearing. You say you thought you heard a loose ball bearing and you have a slight vibration.

Lift the car up and see if you're able to rock the attached wheel side to side and up and down using the wheel's hub as the central fulcrum. If it's bad, sometimes there will be play. If you are feeling play, make sure its not just the wheel moving or some other suspension component (tie rod, etc.) worn.
Old 12-04-2014, 07:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by fur_pig
Yeah I checked all that. When I say the loose bearing noise, it's laying under the car with it off and rocking the tire/cv shaft forward then backwards.
The previous owner did both front wheel bearings. I re-checked them for axial and radial run-out as well as plunge finding no issues. Balljoints and tie rod ends are tight.
Mostly I'm just looking for someone who can say that yes, they've lifted their wheel off the ground, rocked it forward/back while laying under the transmission and hears the same thing or no, that is wack.
I don't ever recall mine making a noise like that.

My wife's xb makes a noise, but it's automatic and I think that's just how it sounds.

Even if I did say it was normal, you shouldn't have a vibration. So there is something screwy going on. Who installed the bearings? A real mechanic or her? Have we looked into the possibility of a failing CV shaft?
Old 12-04-2014, 08:46 PM
5 Year Member

I don't ever recall mine making a noise like that.

My wife's xb makes a noise, but it's automatic and I think that's just how it sounds.

Even if I did say it was normal, you shouldn't have a vibration. So there is something screwy going on. Who installed the bearings? A real mechanic or her? Have we looked into the possibility of a failing CV shaft?
Yeah I have no faith in the wheel bearings repair but I didn't find a problem during my inspection. CV shaft is possible, I've just never had one go out and not click when turning.
Ugh this f'n car man
Old 12-05-2014, 12:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by fur_pig
Yeah I have no faith in the wheel bearings repair but I didn't find a problem during my inspection. CV shaft is possible, I've just never had one go out and not click when turning.
Ugh this f'n car man
Mine went out a few months ago. Started as a high speed shake. Progressively got worse; the shake started creeping down into lower speeds. Zero clicking.

Also, get OEM if you plan on replacing. I used a NAPA axle and it shook at 20mph day 1.