Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

yet another MMW header review..UPDATE!

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2006, 08:49 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default yet another MMW header review..UPDATE!

i will rate it on a few catagories from 1-10... let me start by explaininig where im starting from... other than suspension mods.. the only other mod is the TRD axle back.. and i love the TRD tone of the exhaust....

lets start with:

looks... if looks could give you HP.. this header would give you 100... it looks like a peice of art... and looks just as good installed... so.. it gets a 10 on looks...

performance:.. i will give it a 10 here aswell ... the performance is defenently there, according to my butt dyno... i have only driven it maybe 20 mles... but i can tell there is a defenet difference..

Sound... well.. this one is not against the MMW header.. because from what i have read about installing any header.. it makes the car sounds like ____ if you have any kind of axle back other than stock... and sure enough.. while at idle, the TRD axle back sounded ok.. getting on it made the "angry swam of bees" come alive.... meaning...rasp up the jing jang.... i drove about 5 miles like that..but i was just WAY too obnoxious... i went back to the factory axle back.. which.. to my SURPRISE.. sounds just as quiet as the day i drove it off the lot...... i know this subject is very subjective.. because not everyone has the same tastes.. but for sound.. i will give it a 4 1/2... again.. not specific to the MMW header.... ill go the way of most.. and get a high flow cat and bigger resinator installed and hopefully i can go back to he TRD axle back....

FIT... here is where im going to be critical.. my first header had to go back..becuase of a fitment issue... this one was my second one.. with this one.. i had to drill out the mounting flange holes... they were either too small or off... not a big deal.. since that was easily taken care of... but i do feel i have to mention it if im going to be honest in the review... now.. for the second problem which was a bigger problem and if i had not been able to fix it.. it would be going back yet again... the S-pipe when mounted hit the drive shaft.. at one point it had just enough space to slip a peice of paper between the drive shaft and the pipe.. but as i tighten the bolts it actually hit the shaft.... i ended up using 2 2x4's betwen the car and the header to bend the header slightly to get about 1/4 inch clearance between the shaft and s-pipe... i did write them with my issues ..hopefully they can check their jig so no one else has that problem... so..im alitte torn for a score here.. the flange holes where not a show stopper... but the s-pipe may have been if i had not been able to bend the header... so im going to go with a 5 to 5 1/2....... since this was number 2 header... others seem to not have problems.. but i just so happen to have issues with 2 headers....

service... here MMW gets a 10... these guys are there for their product.. and will work with the customer to get it right ....

now alittle note for those who get the header.. if you get it with the CEL stopper they provide.. make sure you install the sensor on the cel stopper first and tighten it.. THEN.. mount the stopper on the s-pipe (leaving it alittle loose so you can find the best position for it.).. if you do like me and try to mount the sensor after the fact.. you will have to get in all sort of positions to tighten it.. i found that having the CEL stopper pointing up or towards the car works best.. so far 20 miles and no CEL..

02/04/06: well.. i had and exhaust leak between the s-pipe and mid pipe.... NOW.. im not going to complain about the header because i had an exhaust leak when i just had the creative compact ss s-pipe also... so i set out to figure out why had leaks with both.... i was inspecting the factory s-pipe.and found the orignal gasket.... (which i had seen before)... both the factory s-pipe and mid pipe have a grove in which this (about) 1/4" metal ring fits in.. aswell.. as that the s-pipe had an extension that inserts intot he mid pipe.. together they create the seal... i called 5 different toyota dealers and non carry the gasket... so here is what i did and it helped with the leak... i took the metal ring.. cleaned it off.. and used it on the mid pipe.. then used the gasket i received with the header between the new s-pipe and the ring... there is still a very very slight audable leak.. but it is alot better than it was before.. im going to the dealer during the week to order up 1 or 2 new factory gaskets/rings. and replace the used one... hopefully that will completely stop the leakes...
Old 01-29-2006, 08:55 PM
Banned
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

Nice write-up, THANKS!
Old 01-29-2006, 09:00 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

nice writeup. I have been torn between to header or not to header. Let us know how much a resonator costs to buy and install. And if it works.
Old 01-29-2006, 09:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Nick06tC
nice writeup. I have been torn between to header or not to header. Let us know how much a resonator costs to buy and install. And if it works.
My resonator was $105 installed...heres a video w/ AW header and TRD exhaust: https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=102405

A high flow cat will likely increase rasp over a standard cat, but the resonator may be able to keep it under control. It will be better than no cat for rasp reduction though.
Old 01-29-2006, 09:19 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by The_Instigator
Originally Posted by Nick06tC
My resonator was $105 installed...heres a video w/ AW header and TRD exhaust: https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=102405

A high flow cat will likely increase rasp over a standard cat, but the resonator may be able to keep it under control. It will be better than no cat for rasp reduction though.
Thank you. Alittle raspy for me. Still deciding
Old 01-29-2006, 09:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It sounded a little different in person, but it definitely did not have any rasp. I am very sensitive to rasp and cant stand it and I say that it wanst raspy. I cant imagine it ever getting much better than what the video sounds like without sacrificing a lot of power...and then whats the point of doing a header?
Old 01-29-2006, 09:37 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

i will deffinetly keep it in mind. I need to find someone local with a similar setup. The header spipe will help out my supercharger nicely.
Old 01-29-2006, 09:39 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

I just ordered mine on Friday. Now I'm kind of regretting it. Guess I'll have to wait to get it installed.
Old 01-29-2006, 09:45 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

again... i had problems... but others who have gotten the MMW header have not.. so you may not have any problems........ make sure you get a new exhaust manifold gasket.. before you start to take anything apart... it is about $30 at any toyota dealer..
Old 01-29-2006, 10:00 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

Oh I understand that, but the fear is still there, until it's on safely. I don't have time to be sending it back and wait for another. Plus I paid $600, so I expect it to be perfect, no bending or anything esle required.

Roger on the manifold gasket, is there a part number?

And thanks for the review/heads up.
Old 01-29-2006, 11:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm one of the guys who didn't have too much trouble fitment wise. If you have any questions, I should be able to help.

Just needed to take out the radiator fans, which I recommend anyway. It's always a good rule of thumb, "If it looks like it's in the way, just take it out, put it back on later. Your results are always better with the skin on your knuckles and the rest of the day to play."

Yes, Hi-Flo Cat has a touch of rasp with a large resonator, only at the top of the rpm band. I like it, it sounds mean. It will probably be gone in 5k miles anyway once the exhaust has plenty of carbon. May not be, but every car is different.
Old 01-30-2006, 11:39 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

YES.. i did forget to mention.. i too removed the fans.. gives you more room to work with... i found it easier to get the header in from underneath the car once the fans or removed..

the first time i got it in from underneath ..the second i put it in from above.. so either will work.. just thought it was easier from underneath..

i did receive an email from MMW this morning and they are going to talk to the shop to make sure they check the other headers..
Old 01-30-2006, 01:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by lil_LEX_24O
Oh I understand that, but the fear is still there, until it's on safely. I don't have time to be sending it back and wait for another. Plus I paid $600, so I expect it to be perfect, no bending or anything esle required.

Roger on the manifold gasket, is there a part number?

And thanks for the review/heads up.
Me too... I ordered mine last thursday and it should be here on fri feb 3rd. I want to instal it, but I'm afraid of having it not fit..... only because it's a pain in the *** to send it back.
Old 01-30-2006, 01:49 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I had fitment issues with the MMW header too... it didn't clear the coolant return line in front of the engine by about 2 inches! I sent it back, got a refund, and installed the Alphawerks header and draxas s-pipe.
Old 01-30-2006, 02:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Ouch, Im not liking all this fitment issues MMW is haiving with the headers. But, then again, Im in the process of sending mine back because of fitment issues. The header looks like it was welded clockwise a little too far and were the header and s-pipe meet, theres about 1/16 of an inch space from hitting the engine support bar. End result: When downshifting, or taking corners, metal is clinging. WOW, My didnt anyone else mention this before i bought mine!, lol. Its alright, WR/MMW are pretty cool people that stand behind there products.
Old 01-30-2006, 04:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Whocares05050
My didnt anyone else mention this before i bought mine!, lol. Its alright, WR/MMW are pretty cool people that stand behind there products.
It was mentioned just about everywhere the header was talked about.
Old 02-04-2006, 05:09 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i updated the orignal post.... dated 02/04/06