Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

08 supercharger for the tc

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 06:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default 08 supercharger for the tc

is it exactly tthe same as the older chargers. its there alot of problems with the 08 s/c
Old 10-14-2008, 06:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

no its not the same..... they fixed the problems the old ones had.
Old 10-14-2008, 06:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

be sure its 07-09
Old 10-14-2008, 11:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

wat was the problem that they solve how is it different? and do u guys think the price is gonna go down like the older model
Old 10-15-2008, 05:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

There isn't much info out about experiences with the 07-08 supercharger. What exactly did they "fix"? I have tracked the problem with my 06 to cheap bearings and possibly a bad tolerance on the shaft/bearing fitment. Unless they fixed this the problems will continue, just because they changed the mounting bracket doesn't mean they changed anything on the inside of the charger, i'd be really interested in someone taking apart their 07-08 pulley side and checking to see if the bearings are still rubber sealed or if trd put metal sealed bearings in the new s/c
Old 10-15-2008, 06:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by thispecialk
wat was the problem that they solve how is it different? and do u guys think the price is gonna go down like the older model
i believe most of the changes happend to the actual engine of the tc. not to sure what they changed on the actual s/c unit........... somebody explain please. and the price probably wwont go down till the new tc comes out im guessing.
Old 10-15-2008, 09:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

o yea i hear they making a replacement for the tc. if no one explains about the tc i might just hold off on the super charger and trade in the tc for the new replacement
Old 10-15-2008, 09:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i dont feel like buying the s/c if there is still problems. like someone of u guys say all they change was how u mount it
Old 10-15-2008, 12:35 PM
SL Member

Just to clarify, the bad models is PTR01, the NEW and perfectly find models is PTR41, i have a BRAND NEW !! one for sale in the classifieds, since i know the next question is why are you selling it, its b/c i am moving to NY and im trying to make some money to be secure over there.
Old 10-15-2008, 03:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by JrTcs
Just to clarify, the bad models is PTR01, the NEW and perfectly find models is PTR41, i have a BRAND NEW !! one for sale in the classifieds, since i know the next question is why are you selling it, its b/c i am moving to NY and im trying to make some money to be secure over there.
I have a PTR41 that just died and kikcaffine has a PTR01 he changed the bearings in recently, only difference is they beefed up the mounting bracket on the pulley side. Both models still use the same problematic bearing/shaft combo. I'm working on a fix a different type of bearing should fix this. I will find out after i get the new supercharger and i can take it to the machine shop to get tolerances checked.
Old 10-15-2008, 08:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by gompka
I have a PTR41 that just died and kikcaffine has a PTR01 he changed the bearings in recently, only difference is they beefed up the mounting bracket on the pulley side. Both models still use the same problematic bearing/shaft combo. I'm working on a fix a different type of bearing should fix this. I will find out after i get the new supercharger and i can take it to the machine shop to get tolerances checked.
Yea, some of the bearing issues toyoyta has told me is the trd sparks has them sitting for a while and the bearings loose moisture and thats the whole issue.
Old 10-15-2008, 08:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by 1CLNTC
Yea, some of the bearing issues toyoyta has told me is the trd sparks has them sitting for a while and the bearings loose moisture and thats the whole issue.
That doesn't make sense. How do you figure that they don't loose moisture (lubrication) while they are on your car? They aren't lubricated by the engine oil, they have a set amount of lubrication inside, but the problem is that they are rubber sealed bearings when they should be teflon metal sealed bearings which have less friction, heat up less, and sustain lubrication much longer.
Old 10-15-2008, 09:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That doesn't make sense. How do you figure that they don't loose moisture (lubrication) while they are on your car? They aren't lubricated by the engine oil, they have a set amount of lubrication inside, but the problem is that they are rubber sealed bearings when they should be teflon metal sealed bearings which have less friction, heat up less, and sustain lubrication much longer.
im guessing the movement of it being in use distributes the lube constantly, i agree they should be better.
Old 10-15-2008, 09:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

im guessing the movement of it being in use distributes the lube constantly, i agree they should be better.
Plausible guess, but everyone guessing on here will result in a useless forum. I'm just trying to put up concrete facts about the s/c. The supercharger can sit in storage for a long long time and it shouldn't affect the bearings at all. Take a look at wikipedia about sealed bearings.
Old 10-16-2008, 06:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

so if i get the supercharger i gotta take it apart and install new bearings? wont that void the warrenty? how long do s/c last if u dont change the bearings?
Old 10-16-2008, 02:39 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

o gotta remember to; some of the people who have had problems also changed pully's and things like that, that probably contributed to it
Old 10-16-2008, 03:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by thispecialk
so if i get the supercharger i gotta take it apart and install new bearings? wont that void the warrenty? how long do s/c last if u dont change the bearings?
My supercharger lasted all of 6 months. If you get the bearings changed at a shop that knows what they are doing there is no way to tell if you changed the bearings.

A 9.5 psi pulley will increase the speed the bearings on the pulley are spinning which will kill the bearings faster yes, but only because they are not the right bearings for the application. Getting the teflon metal sealed bearings should take care of this problem, again i'm not 100% sure but thats what all my research points to, in the very least it should extend the life atleast 3 fold i'm hoping.