Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

09 Tc Supercharger Boost Loss

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2012, 12:02 AM

Default 09 Tc Supercharger Boost Loss

Hi everyone, sorry if i put this in the wrong place or if i sound like an idiot. First Some background i have a 2009 tc with a 2006 trd supercharger kit that myself and a friend from a toyota dealer installed, originally it had a broken input shaft which i replaced, all the bearings, seals and brackets were intact and undamaged so as of now i havent replaced anything except the shaft and pulley bearings. the problem i have is every higher gear i lose boost, 1st peaks at 7.1 2nd peaks at 5.7 and so on, 3rd 4th and 5th are really bad i can feel and watch the boost come and go, ill hit 4-5 psi and then it dives to zero then jumps back ive made sure the pulley is shimmed properly, replaced the belt as the old one was a little worn, replaced the bypass valve with a bosch 710n, made sure all of my intake hoses and vacuum lines are not damaged or loose, im able to read any live data the computer has and that being said tomorrow morning im going to run propane over the vacuum lines to be sure i do not have a vacuum leak but any suggestions would be great this is my first time using forced induction and im hitting a wall on what to look for... once again sorry if i sound dumb and i have used every search feature from google to clubsciontc to here and if i missed over the thread i need sorry for cluttering up this forum...
Old 10-18-2012, 05:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ive been having the same problem with mine.
Old 10-18-2012, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by JDMTC5
Ive been having the same problem with mine.
Question, what spark plugs do you use and are you able to monitor your egt's? I did a boost leak test and found nothing so I did some digging and have a direction to start looking in and egt's might have a big part to play at least for me...
Old 10-18-2012, 07:09 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

did you guys both dyno or tuned your car correctly?
Old 10-18-2012, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by Sleeper_TC
did you guys both dyno or tuned your car correctly?
I'm using an 09 trd flash we loaded using the dealer laptop, I've not been up to a dyno since putting it and I haven't invest in a piggyback or ems yet because my a/f's all seem to be doing well but I could be wrong...
Old 10-18-2012, 03:12 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Check injectors? You should be running the 440's if I'm not mistaken. Do you only have a problem boosting, or is it laggy under vac/not wot as well?
Old 10-18-2012, 06:06 PM
5 Year Member

I'd be looking for boost leaks at all your couplers. Not sure if you are running an intercooler but check that for pinholes too. Pretty easy to make a boost tester at the hardware store. Also, maybe you have a restriction in your exhaust? Are you running stock header? If so check the cat, see if its damaged in any way. Was this charger at one point running correctly and producing consistent boost?
Old 10-18-2012, 06:13 PM
5 Year Member

And don't worry about sounding dumb. This is what forums are for so no amount of cluttering is happening. Also, what were those afr's at when idling at full vacuum, zero vacuum cruising, and at peak boost wide open throttle?
Old 10-18-2012, 07:09 PM

No vacuum leak we avoided a boost tester and used bg throttle body cleaner while monitoring afr's for spikes, not a stock header, full exhaust tho its a knockoff, my afr's are these
Idle - 14.5 14.9 short term fuel trim -2 to +2
Wot - 12.1 short term fuel trim 0
Crusing is same as idle if I'm driving conservativly the more pedal I apply the lower it'll go down to 12.1 floored
I do know I noticed something last night, if I let my egt's cool down and then punch 3rd gear I make up to 5.5 lbs of boost but the egt's at that point are at about 1650 degrees... Would car The car be reading those high egt's and then trying to cut back to save itself?
Old 10-18-2012, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by That_Kid_Ju
Check injectors? You should be running the 440's if I'm not mistaken. Do you only have a problem boosting, or is it laggy under vac/not wot as well?
I have the trd injectors and they're 410 not 440 fuel loss isn't an issue so far, and I only have a problem building boost in 2nd gear up 1st builds consistent 7lbs 2nd peaks 5 if I'm lucky 3rd on hit 2 ...
Old 10-18-2012, 07:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you are loosing boost it would be a loss prior to getting into the engine. I would get a boost leak tester and pressurize the system and then start coating all joints in soapy water. Since you rebuilt the SC did you remember to put the large o ring that goes on the blower portion?

Name:  427417fc.jpg
Views: 142
Size:  48.2 KB

When you do the boost leak test it will be obvious if you are leaking from the blower.
Old 10-18-2012, 07:35 PM

Hmm... I'm not 100% on that I know the oring for the trd intake plenum is there but I didn't think to check the blower itself, tomorrow after work ill get the stuff to make a boost leaker tester and pressurized the system just to be a 100% sure, its worth a shot... I'm going to try 2 other things as well ill let you guys know the results, thanks for the info ill post how it goes soon...
Old 10-19-2012, 01:48 AM

ok so i did a leak test and found my pcv valve to be bad, replaced that and did it again, no pressure loss sits stable at 5psi, 7psi even 10psi... put exhaust wrap on my s-pipe and redid my maf because it had been loose a few days before n i fixed it with a quick rig but wasnt confortable with a half ___ job... took a drive and i hold 7psi through first and second now, actually hit 7.4 in first... 3rd i hold at 5.5 and 4th drops to 2.2 and holds, exhaust gases run up to 1700 degrees but only occansionally sits pretty stable at 1450 degrees and cools to 900 relatively quick... not to sure what else is left except maybe fuel cut? Anybody have any ideas...
Old 10-19-2012, 03:25 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

try changing fuel injectors cause thats what the manufacture prefer for it to just run smooth...

thats much different from mine cause for me i get full boost in 3rd, 4th, and 5th gear. i get like 2lbs of boost in 2nd than full boost straight after that!
Old 10-21-2012, 05:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

What belt are you running not sure if it would cause this issue your having but if it was to big and slipping if that would cause low boost just a thought.
Old 10-21-2012, 06:22 AM

Yea that had been my second thought after replacing the diverter valve but no such luck, I'm using a dayco cog belt that's slightly smaller than the original and its not slipping we checked and double checked...