Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

3" Exhaust = Power Loss and Lightened Flywheel = Waste

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2007, 04:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default 3" Exhaust = Power Loss and Lightened Flywheel = Waste

I'm getting Dezod's S1 kit and I was searching on the 3" exhausts and saw that some people said that you can lose power due to less backpressure, is that true? Because I ordered ZPI's 3" Header-Back Exhaust System and I'm thinking about cancelling the order if that's the case.

And also, I ordered the Fidanza Lightweight Flywheel and I was reading on how it messes up your launch a lot and makes your engine unbalanced. Again, if that's the case, I might cancel my order. But, I do like the sound of better acceleration and less throttle delay.

So, I'm confused between the two issues. Can anyone help me out here?
Old 07-07-2007, 04:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

if you want to hit your goal of 450WHP, then keep the exhaust
Old 07-07-2007, 04:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

on a turbo car the best exhaust is no exhaust. keep your 3inch
Old 07-07-2007, 04:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

When you think turbo, remember it's high end power. Unless you know for sure that you are going to the 400hp + mark before you get a 3 inch back exhaust.
Old 07-07-2007, 04:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

did you order a aftermarket clutch with your flywheel?? i dont think its a waste you just have to adjust to the different launch.........that OEM flywheel weighs a TON! I plan on getting a lighten flywheel later down the road.....
Old 07-07-2007, 04:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Sleep3r
did you order a aftermarket clutch with your flywheel?? i dont think its a waste you just have to adjust to the different launch.........that OEM flywheel weighs a TON! I plan on getting a lighten flywheel later down the road.....
Yep, I got the Competition Clutch Stage 4 with the kit.
Old 07-07-2007, 04:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Whocares05050
That won't happen for years, so I guess I'll have it on when I do that. But, it's possible I may never get to that mark. I hope it doesn't hurt the HP gains for the beginning stages.
Old 07-07-2007, 04:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you gonna install that yourself?? feaking labor on clutch/flywheel seems more than the S/C labor....
Old 07-07-2007, 04:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Sleep3r
you gonna install that yourself?? feaking labor on clutch/flywheel seems more than the S/C labor....
Yea, I will with a friend that has a 750WHP Prelude. Shouldn't be too hard.
Old 07-07-2007, 04:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by 20tCDude05
That won't happen for years, so I guess I'll have it on when I do that. But, it's possible I may never get to that mark. I hope it doesn't hurt the HP gains for the beginning stages.
it may for the bottom end
Old 07-07-2007, 04:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by 20tCDude05
it may for the bottom end
I guess I will just have to cancel the order.
Old 07-07-2007, 04:53 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

i say keep it, i have the comp stage 5 w/ lightened flywheel and 3in exhaust and my car has no problems.
Old 07-07-2007, 05:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I have 3 inch cat back with Comp Stage 4 clutch with the Comp cast steel 9lb flywheel. I love all of it!
Old 07-07-2007, 05:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

A lighter flywheel will make you have to compensate during launch, but you should easilly be able to by revving higher on launch. We normally launch so low you have plenty of room to do that. People running them love the effect and say that you can relearn launch pretty easilly.

If you are doing more than straight line running you will like the effect even more, since rev matching will be easier due to a quicker throttle response (the "delay" people complain about is mostly due to a heavy flywheel and is nearly eliminated with a lighter one if you read posts from those running one). I would keep the flywheel.

As far as balance, the flywheel doesnt balance our engine. It does provide some harmonic dampening, but that is mostly provided by the elastomer ring in the crank pulley itself, so you will be fine with the flywheel. Of course, it wont gain you any power, but it will accelerate faster, and it should be noticeably with a change like a flywheel. Just remember that it will shed rpm easier and you will end up with more engine braking effect (which is actually good if you track or autox it) since the engine now has less inertia at the crank to keep it moving. This increases the braking effect due to compression.

As for the exhaust, 3 inch is a total waste NA. But since we are talking boost it wont be bad, although it will probably be a bit overkill untill you start pushing more serious numbers.
Old 07-07-2007, 05:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by engifineer
A lighter flywheel will make you have to compensate during launch, but you should easilly be able to by revving higher on launch. We normally launch so low you have plenty of room to do that. People running them love the effect and say that you can relearn launch pretty easilly.

If you are doing more than straight line running you will like the effect even more, since rev matching will be easier due to a quicker throttle response (the "delay" people complain about is mostly due to a heavy flywheel and is nearly eliminated with a lighter one if you read posts from those running one). I would keep the flywheel.

As far as balance, the flywheel doesnt balance our engine. It does provide some harmonic dampening, but that is mostly provided by the elastomer ring in the crank pulley itself, so you will be fine with the flywheel. Of course, it wont gain you any power, but it will accelerate faster, and it should be noticeably with a change like a flywheel. Just remember that it will shed rpm easier and you will end up with more engine braking effect (which is actually good if you track or autox it) since the engine now has less inertia at the crank to keep it moving. This increases the braking effect due to compression.

As for the exhaust, 3 inch is a total waste NA. But since we are talking boost it wont be bad, although it will probably be a bit overkill untill you start pushing more serious numbers.
That was what I just needed to read. I will keep both of them. Thanks man!
Old 07-07-2007, 05:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by engifineer

Oh, this is such a newbie question, but what is rev matching?
Old 07-07-2007, 05:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

When downshifting from high rpm, you most times will want to "heel-toe", or blip the throttle with one side of your foot while you brake with the other side. This allows you to downshift in the process and let out the clutch without creating a lot of stress and engine braking when you release the clutch. In a FWD this engine braking can be especially bad since you can induce throttle lift oversteer. A lighter flywheel means you can change rpm faster and get the engine spinning at the speed you want quicker.
Old 07-07-2007, 06:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You'll love the stage4 clutch! (well atleast I do...) and for the lightened flywheel, go easy on your 1st gear until your tires get traction and simply slam it after a second of wait, you should get an awesome 0-60 when done right.
Old 07-07-2007, 06:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by forpinks
You'll love the stage4 clutch! (well atleast I do...) and for the lightened flywheel, go easy on your 1st gear until your tires get traction and simply slam it after a second of wait, you should get an awesome 0-60 when done right.
Nice, can't wait bro. Hope it puts me into the seat hard.
Old 07-07-2007, 06:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by yamaha16bw
I have 3 inch cat back with Comp Stage 4 clutch with the Comp cast steel 9lb flywheel. I love all of it!
Nice, yours is steel? So, yours is more harder than the Fidanza one. Hmm, I wonder if the steel one has any downfalls...

Quick Reply: 3" Exhaust = Power Loss and Lightened Flywheel = Waste