Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

4-1 or 4-2-1 header for a supercharged tC

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2006, 07:22 PM
Banned
SL Member

Default 4-1 or 4-2-1 header for a supercharged tC

I ordered the MMW header/s-pipe for my supercharged tC. As I understand it, the 4-2-1 design gives great gains throught the powerband, whereas 4-1 gives power at the top end. For a supercharged car, would design would be the best?

I also just got the DraXas cat-back exhaust, so I'm thinking the MMW header will give me some sick gains.
Old 02-16-2006, 07:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team N.V.S.

with the trd supercharger the 4-2-1 will be fine because you dont need the extra top end due to the design of the supercharger. You may get lucky but i would not expect outrageous gains from the header and exhaust, maybe 10hp, however the header s-pipe combo from MMW is very nice. good luck and i hope you like it
Old 02-16-2006, 08:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i havent seen a dyno with mmw/sc but it looks sweet!

Have fun with the install! coz i did
Old 02-16-2006, 08:31 PM
Banned
SL Member

Originally Posted by OutCrnrU
with the trd supercharger the 4-2-1 will be fine because you dont need the extra top end due to the design of the supercharger. You may get lucky but i would not expect outrageous gains from the header and exhaust, maybe 10hp, however the header s-pipe combo from MMW is very nice. good luck and i hope you like it
well the MMW header itself on a stock tC gained like 14whp and 15wtq according their dyno. On a s/c I would expect a little due to more air being crammed into the engine. The DraXas exhaust yielded almost 10whp by itself. I don't see how the combo would only give me 10hp.
I know you didn't gain as much as you expected from your setup, but I am still curious as to why your car didn't respond well to the mods you put on. Has to be some kind of flaw.
Old 02-16-2006, 08:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

I actually went 4-1 because of how the vortech sc works. It focuses boost in the top end, therefore a 4-1 was exactly what I was going for. I ordered in a megan with s-pipe and next week ordering a precision muffler cat back. Should give me the flow I am looking for
Old 02-16-2006, 08:54 PM
Banned
SL Member

Originally Posted by desertheat
I actually went 4-1 because of how the vortech sc works. It focuses boost in the top end, therefore a 4-1 was exactly what I was going for. I ordered in a megan with s-pipe and next week ordering a precision muffler cat back. Should give me the flow I am looking for
But the s/c tC doesn't lack top end power. It pulls hard all the way to redline. The low and midrange power is whats missing. I am hoping the MMW header restores this. Plus, I want power throughout the powerband as most of my driving is in the low and mid rpm range.
Old 02-16-2006, 09:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Understood You will be happy with what you bought as will I. Overall the flow restriction with the stock cat in the header is just sucky. No matter what header design you choose, more power will be available throughout the powerband. I just wanted to focus overall flow in the top end from 4500-redline to take advantage of the way the vortech makes boost.
Old 02-16-2006, 09:08 PM
Banned
SL Member

Originally Posted by desertheat
Understood You will be happy with what you bought as will I. Overall the flow restriction with the stock cat in the header is just sucky. No matter what header design you choose, more power will be available throughout the powerband. I just wanted to focus overall flow in the top end from 4500-redline to take advantage of the way the vortech makes boost.
hmm... makes me wonder if I made the right decision. I guess we'll have to see.
Old 02-16-2006, 09:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Naw, you will be happy with it. Would be nice to compare dyno's before and after of each header though!
Old 02-16-2006, 09:39 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i think a dyno between the 2 would be awesome fellas! I am still deciding whether i want to go with 4-1 headers or 4-2-1.
Old 02-16-2006, 09:39 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i think a dyno between the 2 would be awesome fellas! I am still deciding whether i want to go with 4-1 headers or 4-2-1.
Old 02-16-2006, 10:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Well i hope everything goes alright with the install on the MMW header. It in my book is the best header out there, just hope you dont have to install it twice like i did. The one i got had fitment issues, and had to be exchanged out for a new one.
Old 02-17-2006, 12:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

good choice.
Old 02-17-2006, 12:54 PM
Banned
SL Member

I am expecting great things from this header. Does anyone else have the MMW header with the TRD supercharger?
Old 02-17-2006, 01:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team No Limitz
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Im curious to see how the MMW header does as well...right now Im running the alphawerks, spipe, 30" resonator and the TRD axle back with the charger and its pretty nice. I love how the TRD sounds
I wanna do a custom mid pipe setup, but I dont want the car to get any louder than it already is.
Old 02-17-2006, 01:17 PM
Banned
SL Member

Originally Posted by Simplyscion
Im curious to see how the MMW header does as well...right now Im running the alphawerks, spipe, 30" resonator and the TRD axle back with the charger and its pretty nice. I love how the TRD sounds
I wanna do a custom mid pipe setup, but I dont want the car to get any louder than it already is.
If you love the way the TRD sounds, then you will $h!t yourself when you hear the DraXas. The most beautiful exhasut note I've heard in wuite some time. By next week, I'll be running the TRD blower, MMW header/s-pipe, and the DraXas cat-back exhaust with high flow cat and resonator. ZPI is supposed to release their supercharger intake on March 1st, so that will be goin on as well. Also I have the NST pulley, but I am still hesitant to put it on. It's just sittin in a box in my room beggin to be put on. I have to exhibit some self control
Old 02-17-2006, 01:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team No Limitz
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

self control??? Dam you do have some self control if you havent put that thing on
Get that pulley on, it will make a world of a difference, trust me
Old 02-17-2006, 01:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team No Limitz
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

as far as an intake, I just ordered a K&N that Im gonna modify to work...If I were you, I wouldnt exactly bank on the ZPI intake being released on March 1st, and thats why I went ahead with the K&N.
Old 02-17-2006, 01:36 PM
Banned
SL Member

Originally Posted by Simplyscion
as far as an intake, I just ordered a K&N that Im gonna modify to work...If I were you, I wouldnt exactly bank on the ZPI intake being released on March 1st, and thats why I went ahead with the K&N.
They actually made an announcement. They've already finalized the design. They are waiting till March 1st to release it because they wanted to have 200 in stock before they even peep a word. Believe my friend
Old 02-17-2006, 01:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team No Limitz
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I will believe it when I see it hehehehehe

Quick Reply: 4-1 or 4-2-1 header for a supercharged tC