Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

ALL INCLUSIVE GUIDE for "What NOT to do" FI version

Old 04-07-2010, 05:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

if you have to ask how much it costs you cant afford it
Old 04-07-2010, 05:49 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

unless you ask me...lol
Old 04-07-2010, 05:55 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

oh one other pearl of wisdom....just because the part nets you more hp doesnt exactly mean its safer...lol
Old 04-07-2010, 07:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Don't use silicone hose for the turbo oil return line even if ATP turbo says it works. It's too soft and will tear near the hose clamps. -10AN SS braided or Goodridge 2-layer reinforced push-lok rubber hose are much better.

Don't use standard grade hardware on the turbo. Zinc plating will peel off, split lock washers will lose their temper and bolts will loosen. Studs, SS hardware and Nord-lock washers are worth it. Loctite doesn't work at those temps.

Don't assume that because AEM labels the 30-1910 FIC/6 as "universal" that it is even remotely universal. It's extremely picky about which crk/cam sensors it will work with.

Don't assume that your $500 PnP harness has been tested before you buy it. It probably wasn't.

Don't assume that your 25% larger fuel injectors flow 25% more fuel linearly because they probably don't.

If you plan to tune yourself, invest in a good OBD2 scan tool and software and learn how to use it or you will fail.

Don't buy parts from Ebay unless you know exactly what you are buying.
Old 04-07-2010, 08:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Ronin Scion
SL Member
Premium Member

After all the issues you have, thou shall not forget to have some fun

Thou shall not put yourself or others lives in danger, remember safety first..
Old 04-07-2010, 12:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

did you know i ran a ebay turbo kit on my auto tC at 30psi and i made 9999HP.... you guys are slaking big time..... lol na i am just messin wit ya. i gues i can input on this as well as i have seen my fair share of failures. do not for any reason in the world say that your car is JDM because it has a turbo lol i am bored pardon me
Old 04-07-2010, 12:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Originally Posted by Syldrin
You own a turbo toyotas simple kit! you did it wrong
Nothing wrong with owning a TT kit, it's ordering a TT kit which = fail.
Old 04-07-2010, 12:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Originally Posted by brett561tc
do not assume that just because the hooker is philippino, she will fit in your trunk.
You're a hooker!!!!
Old 04-07-2010, 12:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

All bodies fit in the trunk...we have a lot of room...take out the tire.

Do NOT just buy some random turbo that wont even fit your flange, just because you heard it was the best turbo on the planet.

Don't just start randomly buying parts. Put some thought into it! (STILL havent decided my EMS yet....)

Don't be a tool and try to work without a 'Pro' helping you if you have never done it before.

Don't drill a hole in your Oil Pan without understanding WHERE it needs to be, what size fitting you need or without a type of grease to catch the small flakes of metal.

I got more...post em later!
Old 04-07-2010, 01:37 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by CarbonXe
Nothing wrong with owning a TT kit, it's ordering a TT kit which = fail.
Old 04-07-2010, 02:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ecko04
I wanted to start this thread for all the forced induced people out there or people looking to be forced induced whether for racing or daily driving. Everything here is based on experiences that many of us have had and by and large, while there are some exceptions, this will serve as a guide of things, all inclusive, NOT to do.

I'll start, everyone else can add on as they see if, I do see this potentially turning into an epic and some will be banned, warned, etc for taking part in the festivities, check our allotment of infraction points before taking part, you have been warned.
-------------------------

You're boosting on the TRD ECU with a T3/T4 57trim eBay turbo at 8 psi of boost, stock injectors and no other piggyback but say the TRD ECU should be good enough and your AFR is perfect with the exhaust leak from the exhaust manifold....you're probably doing it WRONG.
Well as stated before in my previous post. Personally i wouldn't attempt to run the horrible combination of items you described in your post on my car. However, from personal experience, the TRD map keeps up OK with 440cc injectors and a smaller turbo. As ScionFred said, its important to have a good OBDII scanner (which i have) enabling you the ability to monitor just about evey sensor the car has.

Remember, our computers do have the ability to "learn" and conservatively adjust AFR's and timing. Thus, if a little thought, insight and risk are taken you can find ways that are unorthodox that may work.

Just to recap, my current setup isn't for eveyone. As stated b4, my turbo is waaaay too big for the TRD map, hence its not my daily driver.
Old 04-07-2010, 02:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

do not buy a 2011 tc. is an ugly piece of crap that looks like a nissan.
Old 04-07-2010, 02:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Originally Posted by tC_litigator
Well as stated before in my previous post. Personally i wouldn't attempt to run the horrible combination of items you described in your post on my car. However, from personal experience, the TRD map keeps up OK with 440cc injectors and a smaller turbo. As ScionFred said, its important to have a good OBDII scanner (which i have) enabling you the ability to monitor just about evey sensor the car has.

Remember, our computers do have the ability to "learn" and conservatively adjust AFR's and timing. Thus, if a little thought, insight and risk are taken you can find ways that are unorthodox that may work.

Just to recap, my current setup isn't for eveyone. As stated b4, my turbo is waaaay too big for the TRD map, hence its not my daily driver.
First and foremost, Fred would not even start his car with the TRD flash.

You are doing EVERYTHING wrong. The TRD flash for the ECU is certifiably not made for the purposes of boosting a car beyond that of the TRD supercharger which is fails to do adequately.

You mentioned why more people haven't gone your route in your thread, and that's the reason why, it's a recipe for utter failure. The TRD map does not adequately adjust timing, fuel, etc. for 440cc injectors. In fact, the TRD flash was made for 410cc injectors, stock injectors are 330cc.

The stock ECU does have conservative relearning, it is NOT made to adjust to the needs of a boosted car, that's why there are management systems, if it were good enough alone there would be no market for other management systems for the tC.

It is clear that your personal experience mimics that of a guy who stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night and miraculously wakes up and knows everything about forced induction.

Your car, your setup, this thread wasn't created for you, it is made for YOU and others like you who tend to do things the WRONG way from start to finish, to start again when the motor blows but carry on.

Last edited by ecko04; 04-07-2010 at 03:43 PM.
Old 04-07-2010, 02:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Originally Posted by tC_litigator

The thread, you're killing it.
Old 04-07-2010, 03:04 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ecko we u lost me on ur last post... lol stock injectors are 330-370cc, and the trd is made for 410cc injectors, he has 440cc lol carry on
Old 04-07-2010, 03:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Don't ask Scionlife for advice. Most of the people here are not professionals and do not do this for a living.

If you are not paying a professional to install and tune your kit, do yourself a favor and

1. Read a few books about turbocharging before you ever screw one bolt.

2. Be friend a knowledgeable, experienced person for help and guidance.
Old 04-07-2010, 03:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

man this thread is full of crap, there is only like 9 good pieces of advice,
cmon guys if you dont know what your talking about or if your typing crap save it.
people like you make our forum look retarded
Old 04-07-2010, 03:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Originally Posted by cburglb34
ecko we u lost me on ur last post... lol stock injectors are 330-370cc, and the trd is made for 410cc injectors, he has 440cc lol carry on
Sorry bout that, frickin typo on the iPhone....fixed now lol
Old 04-07-2010, 03:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Try to avoid using copper RTV on the oil pan if possible, use Permatex Ultra Black RTV Silicone Sealant. Copper RTV will give you false amounts of metal in any oil analysis you have done, leading you to think something internally is damaged or failing when in actuality it isn't. Try not to use any excessive amount of RTV as well, it may enter small opening and clog them, leading to a case where something is actually damaged.
Old 04-07-2010, 03:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Here's some good advice and probably obvious.....

Take your Scion to PTuning for a one stop shop F/I solution if you are not capable of this level of modification. Be honest with yourself. If you can't do it, take it to a competent shop.

Last edited by rhythmnsmoke; 04-07-2010 at 04:08 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ALL INCLUSIVE GUIDE for "What NOT to do" FI version