Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

all of these together???/

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2006, 09:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default all of these together???/

hey i was wondering who out there is runnin a turbo with aftermarket pulleys,flywheel,exhuast.....how much hp did it boost you too?...are the pulleys and flywheels worth the money???
Old 09-23-2006, 06:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

okay, i might not be the one to answer this question since i'm an a/t tC owner but here goes....

i depends on your driving habits, the pulley and flywheel will make your car rev faster (thus reach boost faster) however your rpms will fall quite a bit faster as well....fun for when you're pushing it but not so fun when you're in town or in traffic

i would recommend an upgraded clutch first seeing as how most people on here with any amount of decent power have at least a stage II clutch (unless they baby it) because they burn their clutch out with the hard launches

like i said, i have an a/t so take my advice for what you think it's worth...
Old 09-23-2006, 06:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

scotty where you at in SC? slightly off topic, i know.
Old 09-24-2006, 05:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

im upstate about 25min from rock hill...were you from?
Old 09-24-2006, 06:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

For pulleys, I've never heard of a complaint for NST.

For flywheel... From personal racing experience, there's pros and cons to a flywheel. In traffic, stay with the stock flywheel. For drag, I wouldn't cut more than about 20% off the weight of your stock flywheel. If you lose too much rotational mass, it's harder to get throttle control on first gear launches. A prolite flywheel from ACT is a really light flywheel and is intended for road racing. It does allow you to rev faster because you engine has less intertia to fight in order to pick up speed. In traffic though, you need to rev the car up a little bit more to even get it to move, because there's a lot less engine "weight" to get you going.

All 2.5" mandrel-bent exhausts will eb beneficial in some way. I strongly recommend running one. You're wasting power if you dont!

The combination of all three should help make it a fun track car. Just keep daily driveability in mind.
Old 09-24-2006, 02:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ok thanks this is really helpin me learn some of these things bc im really not smart wen it comes to wat parts do wat and the good and bad between them....im scheduled to get my turbo installed this friday...so im guessin that a good setup for fun racing and still a good daily driver would be 1st a new clutch to handle the power gain...a new axle-back exhaust system(im lookin into the tanabe ive heard good things about it??)...and new pulleys...correct me if im missin someting or wrong about any of this or missing something else that would be helpful for more "safe" power.....oh hey dezod were you fetured in the last months modified mag?????
Old 09-25-2006, 02:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yes my tC was in the last month's modified magazine...

As for the mods... it sounds like you're on your way to a good start. Axle back is a good start if you're on a budget but make sure you get one with a large enough diameter so when you eventually upgrade the mid-pipe/s-pipe, the muffler will keep up with it. A custom setup with a 2.5" piping would be nice too
Old 09-25-2006, 02:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Joe's right for the exhaust. As for the flywheel, I've been running the Fidanza since my I turbo'd and I dont have one complaint about it. Traffic sucks alittle but that also is from the stage 3 clutch. I had a ZPI pulley on my car before the turbo but took once I installed the turbo. From my understanding F/I and non dampered pulleys dont mix well.
Old 09-25-2006, 02:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Im running turbo, pulley, and flywheel, and exhaust. the car revs crazy fast and it makes it hard to launch at the track cause it goes straight to redline... but im learning i have been shifting into second as soon as it start to boost to avoid bunching off the limiter to much.. i dont know of the power gains cause i have never dynoed my car..
Old 09-25-2006, 08:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hey Joe_Dezod wen you say......Axle back is a good start if you're on a budget but make sure you get one with a large enough diameter so when you eventually upgrade the mid-pipe/s-pipe, the muffler will keep up with it.

any idea which ones would be big enuf the ones i was lookin at were.....tanabe,ingen,greddy??