Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

To all turbo people that have experienced problems!

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 03:19 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Surprisingly I've only had a few minor problems since the turbo was put on (I say that because myself and a few buddies put it on, lol). The earliest problem was a stall here and there when I would be on the gas above 3.5k rpm and I'd have to let off completely to stop fast (yellow light, stupid drivers etc). I switched out my sparkplugs to a step colder and that seemed to end the stalling problem. But while I was changing em out.. I overtightened one of the screw/bolts that holds the tube looking piece (the part above the spark plug) And the head snapped off. Fortunately I was able to get the broken screw out with a pair of needlenosed. I had my charge pipe (the connection between the CP and the throttle body) blow off on the highway one day when I decided to push my car a bit. But it hasn't happened since which seems kind of surprising to me since I still have the basic ZPI stage0 couplers and not the upgraded silicon.

Anywho, those are about it so far. I'm still untuned so I'm sure once I put the emanage in I'll get a whole new world of problems with relearning and all that.
Old 09-24-2007, 06:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm waiting on my damn tuner to fly in from Ohio so he can figure out why the hell my car stalls out so F*CKN much...
I had the plugs changed after my tune because u usually fry them while tuning and that didn't help @ all... it mostly idles @ like 500RPM for some reason and don't seem to get enough gas and stalls out. It also happens when I'm stopped on a hill or just slowly comming out of parking spots, its so fckn annoying!!! I have to give it gas as soon as I start it otherwise it will just stall out right away...

Oh and I'm auto...

Other than that I'm happy, GReddy 18G "custom RCT Performance modified stage 2" turbo. 272WHP & LBTQ @ 7psi
Old 09-24-2007, 06:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My only issues were from coupler blowing off. I realized the guy who installed my kit, used worm gears where T-Bolts shouldv'e been used. Other than that, no issues at all. Great, I probably just jinxed myself. The Treadstone kit has been great thus far.
Old 09-24-2007, 07:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

I've sure had my fair share of problems
Here's where I’m at:

I installed the turbonetics kit, and promptly spun a bearing.. drove any longer and I could foresee a Rod coming through a wall. not a good thing. After that I called around to a few local shops got laughed at for "Moding" a scion (is seems they have a questionable stigma around here..) then I finally met a guy who gave me the time of day to explain my situation, he said he'd get started on the car, but then I found out he was moving his shop and then he came back and said that he wouldn't be able to get to my car for another month or so. I called around to a few more shops and they said the eairlest they could get to the car was Mid-late September. So I stuck with the shop because I heard they did GREAT work. and thats where my car is sitting to this day.

but thats not all.

turns out, getting parts for this car is a B***and a half. I had an order with ZPI and they promptly went BYE BYE (I know I don't need to say more) it was for $3600. I had a stand alone EMS and Pistons, bearings, studs, and a few more random items. after much taking with them and my bank, I got most of my money back. I then decided to order from someone local. then after they said my parts would be here in a week... 3 weeks later, I ask him where my parts were... needless to say, I got a refund after that. ... ... I just cant seem to get my hands on a working EMS. I honestly haven’t driven my car in about 6 months. I am now only buying parts as soon as the car needs them..

the motor is currently being taken apart for a full build and Stand alone EMS.

lets just hope the White smoke I saw when the car was running, isn't a blown turbo....
Old 09-24-2007, 08:34 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Complication
Here's where I’m at:

I installed the turbonetics kit, and promptly spun a bearing.. drove any longer and I could foresee a Rod coming through a wall. not a good thing. After that I called around to a few local shops got laughed at for "Moding" a scion (is seems they have a questionable stigma around here..) then I finally met a guy who gave me the time of day to explain my situation, he said he'd get started on the car, but then I found out he was moving his shop and then he came back and said that he wouldn't be able to get to my car for another month or so. I called around to a few more shops and they said the eairlest they could get to the car was Mid-late September. So I stuck with the shop because I heard they did GREAT work. and thats where my car is sitting to this day.

but thats not all.

turns out, getting parts for this car is a B***and a half. I had an order with ZPI and they promptly went BYE BYE (I know I don't need to say more) it was for $3600. I had a stand alone EMS and Pistons, bearings, studs, and a few more random items. after much taking with them and my bank, I got most of my money back. I then decided to order from someone local. then after they said my parts would be here in a week... 3 weeks later, I ask him where my parts were... needless to say, I got a refund after that. ... ... I just cant seem to get my hands on a working EMS. I honestly haven’t driven my car in about 6 months. I am now only buying parts as soon as the car needs them..

lets just hope the White smoke I saw when the car was running, isn't a blown turbo....
Sorry I'm not too sure what atizzle stands for but by chance, is the shop that moved (that has your car) AMS?
Old 09-24-2007, 08:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Problems? I've ran into only a few.

Emanage Ultimate croaked - the ignition chip needed to be replaced. Turnaround time: 1 week.

Due to the Emanage Ultimate taking a dump, i was running on my stock ECU for a week. Result: Fouled Primary O2 (A/F) sensor. $150 for replacement (still haven't done it yet).

The only other issues I've had are a shoddily fitting a-pillar pod, and somehow my AEM Uego Wideband A/F wiring underneath the car got unhooked and blew the wiring to crap... that had to be replaced.
Old 09-24-2007, 11:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I honestly haven’t driven my car in about 6 months.
Me either. I don't even remember what it feels like to drive a manual.
Old 09-24-2007, 11:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Oh yeah - I daily drive mine - almost 20k miles turboed.
Old 09-25-2007, 02:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Originally Posted by CervezA
Here's where I’m at:

but thats not all.

Sorry I'm not too sure what atizzle stands for but by chance, is the shop that moved (that has your car) AMS?
Lol no, "Atizzle" is a gooffy way of saying Atlanta... Dumb I know but so am I...
the place my car is at is called Leathal Injection Tuning or (LIT) they do great work, but they have to actualy work on your car inorder to for it to happen.
Old 09-25-2007, 02:07 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by CervezA
Here's where I’m at:

but thats not all.

Lol no, "Atizzle" is a gooffy way of saying Atlanta... Dumb I know but so am I...
the place my car is at is called Leathal Injection Tuning or (LIT) they do great work, but they have to actualy work on your car inorder to for it to happen.
haha k, that's what I was kind of thinking. but hey if you're dumb, i am as well.. hell i'm from d-town ;)
Old 09-25-2007, 02:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Originally Posted by etsnet
I honestly haven’t driven my car in about 6 months.
Me either. I don't even remember what it feels like to drive a manual.

heh, since my scion broke, I bought a 5spd 240sx, then I traded that for a 97 Z28 Camaro, now I'm looking to trade that for a truck. lol. they all have been manual...
after driving all that, I sat in my car and shifted my short shifter and I thought it was amazing!! I was like dang, I actualy own this car... I can't wait until it is finished.

comp
Old 09-27-2007, 02:41 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well here is my issue when coming to a stop i have a hunting idle for about 15-20 seconds then it plains out. Im using emanage ultimate.

Ive blown one motor what seems to be from an over reving issue.