Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Balance Shaft Removal Kit

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2006, 08:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

Seems that since there is a kit for this, I doubt there is too much complicated work.The only thing I would be cheking too much is that the oil pan gets a good seal again.
Old 12-13-2006, 12:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

wow, watching for sure... this mod combined with a pulley system should be insaneee
Old 12-13-2006, 01:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think Im going to do this soon. Waiting on a response from ZPI. If I do I'll let ya'll know how it goes and maybe get a dyno for you. I should be at 130whp right now.
Old 12-13-2006, 01:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by XD40tC
I think Im going to do this soon. Waiting on a response from ZPI. If I do I'll let ya'll know how it goes and maybe get a dyno for you. I should be at 130whp right now.
no FI yet?!

gave up on nitrous?

130whp without nitrous, right?
Old 12-13-2006, 06:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

do a DIY.
Old 12-13-2006, 06:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

No FI yet. Need to save up... 130 without nitrous is correct.
Old 12-14-2006, 03:09 PM
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

i did it on my sentra it was pretty easy. But the Qr25 motor on the specv has two balance shaft. It actual help out the motor alot. When we took ours out. And it also let the engine hold 5 quarts instead of the normal 4. It didnt gain too much hp but it made the engine alot more resposive. The Nissan dealers would recomend it but ofcourse they say it will void ur waranty,
Old 12-14-2006, 03:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

F the warranty!
Old 12-14-2006, 03:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

i accually did the shaft remolav on my buddies spec-v before he sould it and got a g35 coupe.. it wasnt entirly diffucult the only part that was ne bit difficult was getting the shaft out b/c it had to be moved around so many different ways to get it out... the hardest parts was waitin for that damn gasket maker to dry so we could go test it out... not so much did it give alot of hp but it made the motor rev so much easier... he loved it and he had motor mount inserts and the vibrations werent to bad
Old 12-14-2006, 04:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

resubscribe...somehow I lost my subscription to this thread.
Old 12-14-2006, 05:47 PM
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by toyotalife
i accually did the shaft remolav on my buddies spec-v before he sould it and got a g35 coupe.. it wasnt entirly diffucult the only part that was ne bit difficult was getting the shaft out b/c it had to be moved around so many different ways to get it out... the hardest parts was waitin for that damn gasket maker to dry so we could go test it out... not so much did it give alot of hp but it made the motor rev so much easier... he loved it and he had motor mount inserts and the vibrations werent to bad
Did u cut the chain or did u try to wiggle it out??? It wasnt that bad for me i got it done in about an hour but i did it while the car was on a lift.
Old 12-15-2006, 01:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

so does anyone know how easy this mod will be on the tc engine?

and why do we need a "kit"
Old 12-15-2006, 02:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

Some one make a DIY on this already ” loL
Old 12-15-2006, 02:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Quick tid bit I found:

One characteristic consistent in contemporary Toyotas is that engine noise is such that there are undoubtedly many people who have attempted to start already-running engines. The Highlander ups the ante for Toyota four-cylinder engines in the way that engine noise is reduced. The 2.4-liter 2AZ-FE engine developed for the vehicle uses two balance shafts to offset the secondary harmonic imbalance of the four-cylinder configuration. Paul M. Williamsen, Curriculum Development manager, University of Toyota (Torrance, CA) explains that Toyota has long used two balance shafts in the 2.2-liter four-cylinder engine available in the Camry. However, in the Camry engine there is a steel gear system used between the primary and secondary shafts: "The gears must be very precisely set up to control lash so that you won't have a low-speed whine." But with the Highlander they have made a material switch with great advantage: a plastic gear set in place of steel. They've calculated that this reduces gear noise by 100%--or thre e decibels--compared with the previous design, and reduces total friction by 50%. What's more, Williamsen points out that the resin gears, which are tight-fitting without adjustment, simplify things in that the balance shafts are inside the crankcase, and one certainly doesn't want to have to make modifications to things in there. (The Highlander is also available with a 3.0-liter V6, which doesn't require this setup.)
Old 12-15-2006, 05:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by ERIC-TC
Quick tid bit I found:

One characteristic consistent in contemporary Toyotas is that engine noise is such that there are undoubtedly many people who have attempted to start already-running engines. The Highlander ups the ante for Toyota four-cylinder engines in the way that engine noise is reduced. The 2.4-liter 2AZ-FE engine developed for the vehicle uses two balance shafts to offset the secondary harmonic imbalance of the four-cylinder configuration. Paul M. Williamsen, Curriculum Development manager, University of Toyota (Torrance, CA) explains that Toyota has long used two balance shafts in the 2.2-liter four-cylinder engine available in the Camry. However, in the Camry engine there is a steel gear system used between the primary and secondary shafts: "The gears must be very precisely set up to control lash so that you won't have a low-speed whine." But with the Highlander they have made a material switch with great advantage: a plastic gear set in place of steel. They've calculated that this reduces gear noise by 100%--or thre e decibels--compared with the previous design, and reduces total friction by 50%. What's more, Williamsen points out that the resin gears, which are tight-fitting without adjustment, simplify things in that the balance shafts are inside the crankcase, and one certainly doesn't want to have to make modifications to things in there. (The Highlander is also available with a 3.0-liter V6, which doesn't require this setup.)
Nice info, will wait for info from ZPI, to see what else can they help us with.
Old 12-15-2006, 05:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm interested in this, Does anyone that already did this have any pics of the shafts or under the oil pan pics?
Old 12-15-2006, 04:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Krazytc... i did cut the chain then just had to wiggle it out it took bout 2 hrs b/c we kept on takin breaks b/c ur neck starts hurting when ur laying on the ground... a lift would have helped out so much
Old 12-15-2006, 04:46 PM
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by toyotalife
Krazytc... i did cut the chain then just had to wiggle it out it took bout 2 hrs b/c we kept on takin breaks b/c ur neck starts hurting when ur laying on the ground... a lift would have helped out so much

Yea i made alot easier. Thank God my boi has a shop. I couldnt emagine doing all the shyt i did to the sentra on jacks....lol
Old 12-15-2006, 05:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

everything I do is on jacks...including exhaust...which can be very tricky for longer pieces of pipe...

it sucks, but I have no choice.
Old 01-04-2007, 09:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Is there any new updates on this? I would like to see some pics on what the shafts look like.

Quick Reply: Balance Shaft Removal Kit