Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Boosted tc Overheat at idle

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 06:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yea forgot to mention i have the 170* thermostat too Thats what i put in when i replaced it. esp since it only happens at idle this is really making me think i need more fan powa :D Think putting 2 10" push fans on the front of the ac condesnor along with my 14" on the radiator would do the trick?
Old 06-01-2009, 08:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default overheat

I had the same issue man, Im running 4psi on an auto tc but i have a 60 trim presicion turbo, wich is massive and produces alot of heat.

I have a dezod turbo kit, i dont know how your kit is designed but with the dezod kit i wasnt able to keep the stock fans, I put two 10 inch mishimoto cooling fans in,but they had to go on in front of the a/c condensor, Since i had to put an oil cooler/trans cooler where the stock fans were.on the radiator. I also bought a mishimoto dual core radiator wich holds an insnae amount of fluid and takes forver to get hot.

If you running a turbo on an auto, get a b&m oil cooler. Not only did i do that, i squeezed another 10- inch fan next to the oil cooler, where the stock fans used to be. and that fan is also wired to a switch inside the car so on hot days, i can keep that running constant if i want to wich is awesome cause theres always a breeze under the engine bay. I could of just put the 2 mishimoto fans where the stock fans were because the mishimoto fans are real skinny, but like i said i put the oil cooler there, so there was only room for one fan, wich wouldnt be enough to keep the car cool.

I also went to pep boys and bought "water wetter". Its an additive to your engine coolant and helps keep the temp at least 25 degrees cooler. and i also put in a trd thermostat, wich opens up at 160 degrees.

It sounds like a lot, because it is, my car used to run hot at idle alot,but now i can si in bumper to bumper traffic for 45 minutes on a 97 degree day with the ac on with no issues.

I spent about $850 just in cooling but its worth every penny. You can never run too cool, it helps the car run better and helps with the life of the motor, I could have just kept the 3 fans in and that was enough to keep it cool, i put in the extra ____ just to ensure my car would run awesome on a hot day. now the thermostat barely hits half way point on the hottest days.

Things to get
1. B & m Oil cooler
2.huge Dual core mishimoto radiator
3.trd thermostat
4. three 10 inch mishimoto fans
5.Water wetter

hope this helps
Old 06-01-2009, 09:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The stock radiator is a good unit. The fan shroud helps pull air through the radiator during low speed driving rather than havinging air just circulate around the radiator. Without this cooling efficiency is lost.

Make sure there is no air bubble. Double check that the fan is set to pull.
Old 06-01-2009, 09:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: overheat

Originally Posted by SteveTC_RS_4-0
I had the same issue man, Im running 4psi on an auto tc but i have a 60 trim presicion turbo, wich is massive and produces alot of heat.

I have a dezod turbo kit, i dont know how your kit is designed but with the dezod kit i wasnt able to keep the stock fans, I put two 10 inch mishimoto cooling fans in,but they had to go on in front of the a/c condensor, Since i had to put an oil cooler/trans cooler where the stock fans were.on the radiator. I also bought a mishimoto dual core radiator wich holds an insnae amount of fluid and takes forver to get hot.

If you running a turbo on an auto, get a b&m oil cooler. Not only did i do that, i squeezed another 10- inch fan next to the oil cooler, where the stock fans used to be. and that fan is also wired to a switch inside the car so on hot days, i can keep that running constant if i want to wich is awesome cause theres always a breeze under the engine bay. I could of just put the 2 mishimoto fans where the stock fans were because the mishimoto fans are real skinny, but like i said i put the oil cooler there, so there was only room for one fan, wich wouldnt be enough to keep the car cool.

I also went to pep boys and bought "water wetter". Its an additive to your engine coolant and helps keep the temp at least 25 degrees cooler. and i also put in a trd thermostat, wich opens up at 160 degrees.

It sounds like a lot, because it is, my car used to run hot at idle alot,but now i can si in bumper to bumper traffic for 45 minutes on a 97 degree day with the ac on with no issues.

I spent about $850 just in cooling but its worth every penny. You can never run too cool, it helps the car run better and helps with the life of the motor, I could have just kept the 3 fans in and that was enough to keep it cool, i put in the extra poop just to ensure my car would run awesome on a hot day. now the thermostat barely hits half way point on the hottest days.

Things to get
1. B & m Oil cooler
2.huge Dual core mishimoto radiator
3.trd thermostat
4. three 10 inch mishimoto fans
5.Water wetter

hope this helps
I'm not sure why you could not use your turbo and the stock fans. The kit was designed to use the stock fan shroud before it ever went into mass production. Your turbo should fit with 0 clearance issues.

Did you install this kit?
Old 06-01-2009, 09:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Ronin Scion
SL Member
Premium Member

yup i agree, if you can keep the fan shroud, keep it and all you prolly need to upgrade is your radiator and thermostat..
Old 06-01-2009, 09:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Ronin Scion
SL Member
Premium Member

oh don, he placed the oil cooler where the stock fan is
Old 06-01-2009, 09:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Honestly guys. The stock radiator does a great job..........

Don't believe the marketing hype.
Old 06-01-2009, 09:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Ronin Scion
SL Member
Premium Member

^^ not on all setups.. maybe for dezod, turbonetics or greddy where you can keep the whole cooling system
Old 06-01-2009, 09:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well, if this damn Mishimoto radiator will stop leaking, I'll keep it. But if it starts leaking again (which will be the 5th leak) I'm going back to the stock radiator. I'm also going to get an additional 8" slim fan.
Old 06-01-2009, 09:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Ronin Scion
SL Member
Premium Member

^^ you're leaking on the plugs? mine never went back.. did you teflon it good?
Old 06-01-2009, 09:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Teflon'd it twice. The second time 15 tight tight wraps on the drain plug and overfill plug.
Old 06-01-2009, 09:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Mine is far from the only one leaking. I know a guy* a hair away from welding the damn thing shut.

*A guy here in Houston
Old 06-01-2009, 10:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Ronin Scion
SL Member
Premium Member

Originally Posted by TheFantasticG
Mine is far from the only one leaking. I know a guy a hair away from welding the damn thing shut.
yikes try emailing mishimoto and they might send you more plugs, im not really sure why their plugs leak but the one they send me never leaked again.. i dont think its a different plug to the one you have though
Old 06-01-2009, 10:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I emailed them after the 2nd time it leaked. They told me just put teflon on it, if it still leaked I'm S.O.L.

Turbochargers.com tried to fix it by trying new plugs, but the damn thing still leaked (which was leak #2).
Old 06-01-2009, 10:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My plastic shroud melted from a bad exhaust leak - long story - long time ago lol - i was kinda worried that it could be part fo the issue as that massive plastic shroud im sure def gives a decent bit of heat shielding. im thinking im gunna try to fit two more fans on the inside of the radiator (so ill have 1(14) and 2( all in pull config) than maybe put another 10 on the outside in push config :D
Old 06-01-2009, 10:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Ronin Scion
SL Member
Premium Member

put 2 12" on the outside
Old 06-01-2009, 10:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have one 12" pulling and one 14" pushing. The 12" is 1900 CFM and the 14" is 2400CFM. I can put another 8" on the side of the 12" but it's not going to be very high on the CFM side.
Old 06-01-2009, 10:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Ronin Scion
SL Member
Premium Member

i have an 8" 2100 cfm puller, and 2 12" 2300cfm pushers.. it really blows a lot of air in the engine bay and no exit that why I want to have a vented hood
Old 06-01-2009, 10:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

where the eff do you find an 8" fan rated at 2100cfm????
Old 06-01-2009, 10:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Ronin Scion
SL Member
Premium Member

Originally Posted by thendawg
where the eff do you find an 8" fan rated at 2100cfm????
here's a link of some options

http://store.summitracing.com/egnsea...00006&D=400006

Quick Reply: Boosted tc Overheat at idle