Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Car majorly hesitated+smoke out the exhaust onWOT*(UPDATE!)*

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 02:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^ Theres normally a little bit of oil in the intake. It comes as a mist from that hose that goes from the valve cover and plugs into the intake. If its more than a thin film tho.... that'd be a problem.

But you said your smoke is white, so its coolant that you're actually burning off.

Check: with a cold car, take off your radiator cap and peek at the coolant. If its off-colored and a little foamy, you have oil leaking in and fouling your coolant.
Old 02-04-2009, 02:57 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Okay i'll check it out tomorrow morning. And the white smoke only happened once. When I drive my car now, no smoke comes out. Is my car semi safe to drive? Is my motor getting ready to blow lol? And if oil has reached into the combustion chamber, how would I do abouts getting that removed, engine flushing? Maybe I need to replace the seal and sell the SC!
Old 02-04-2009, 03:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Whats done is done. Just keep and eye on your juices and see if it acts up again.
Old 02-04-2009, 03:19 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Okay, so if the compression check comes out lower or higher than normal, what would I have to do to return my compression to normal? Sorry for all the questions, but I don't know much internally lol.
Old 02-04-2009, 04:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default induction

Yea there are many things that could cause your problem but like any good mechanic would tell you is the kiss rule "keep it simple stupid"... if something goes wrong 9 out of 10 times its somtheing small and simple now they are all right on what the said. and yes oil getting into the combustion section can wash away the cylinders causing blow by there by causing loss in compression. Start with compresion test go to autozone and get a compression tester they rent them out and you pull the spark plug from each cyloinder and crank the car but be sure that the coils are disconnected you dont need the car to start on you... Im not to sure what the reading should be i want to say around 130 or so but see if there all consistant with each other within 10.
Old 02-04-2009, 04:19 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Okay great, I have a day off tomorrow so looks like ill be testing the compression as well as pulling some of the parts off to inspect them. If the compression does come out lower/higher than what it should (I remember seeing a normal PSI in each cylinder for a tC should be 170? Not sure) be, would an engine flush help?
Old 02-04-2009, 04:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

if compression is cool, its not the head gasket its that the coolant going to the turbo is getting into the exhaust. If compression bad, head gasket,
Old 02-04-2009, 05:04 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hmm so once the compression goes bad, the head gasket needs to be replaced?
Old 02-04-2009, 05:09 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

http://www.trdpartstore.com/images/TRD_Head_Gasket.jpg

Correct?
Old 02-04-2009, 05:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by HEYitzMEEE
Hmm so once the compression goes bad, the head gasket needs to be replaced?
Given your symptoms, yes. If it were a burnt piston or bent valve it usually burns oil instead, which would be blueish black. Don't go ordering parts until it actually gets diagnosed by someone first hand tho....
Old 02-04-2009, 05:23 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Okay, definitely. Thanks a lot, i'll update tomorrow with pics of my findings! How expensive are head gaskets first off haha. When I get my taxes back, i'm going to take my car in...
Old 02-04-2009, 05:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^ before taking anything apart, first check your engine oil level to see if your engine is consuming oil. also check your coolant level and condition.

Just something to keep in mind:
-light blue smoke out the tailpipe means your engine is consuming oil.
-white smoke means either condensation in exhaust on startup or the engine is consuming coolant.

I also have a feeling it may be the head gasket.
Old 02-04-2009, 05:51 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

And the head gasket is the above link correct? I checked my oil earlier before I left for work (still here now ugh) and it was right at the full line and I changed my oil about a week and a half ago. My coolant is still at the full line but let me check the condition of it tomorrow morning before class. It's still safe to drive if I stay out of boost right? I don't have another car that I would be able to drive
Old 02-04-2009, 01:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
1UP Crew
SL Member

If it is the head gasket (hopefully its not), i'd say you're better off getting a cometic head gasket.
Old 02-04-2009, 01:51 PM

if compression test is low, you have a piston ring failure and it's only a matter of time b4 engine rebuild.

head gasket is not likely the problem. it's bad news.
Old 02-04-2009, 01:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

happened to me twice with my car supercharged with the p.5psi pulley and custom intake without a piggyback tune..

blew 2 motors...
those are the exact things that happened to my car..
Old 02-04-2009, 01:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

heres how u tell without a compression test if u have piston ring failure... start the car and pull out the dipstick if smoke comes out alot then ur screwed..
Old 02-04-2009, 02:27 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Low compression doesn't necessasarily mean a piston ring failure. The basics of the test are that you are pressurizing the combustion chamber by turning over the engine. Normally it will hold pressure on the compression stroke where the valves are closed and the piston pushes up. If it is low, air is escaping somewhere. ONE of the causes could be a bad piston ring, where air is pushing by and getting into the lower block. The other two possible causes are an unseated intake or exhause valve.

The first way to check if it's the valve or rings is that, if it checks low, put a little oil in the cylinder (and I do mean a LITTLE), I use marvel mystery oil. The oil will temporarily seal the piston rings if they are failing. If you now have pressure, the ring is bad. If it is still low, it's one of the valves.

The other way is to do a leakdown test. It's kind of the opposite. With the spark plug removed, you crank the engine until the cylinder you're checking is top dead center on the compression stroke. Then you hook up a similar fitting like the compression check tube into the spark plug hole and pump in air via air compressor. The air will leak out of the intake, exhaust, or into the lower block. You should be able to hear which spot it is leaking from. Removing the intake and exhaust manifold first make this much easier to hear.

here's the how-to for both tests:

Compression Test

Leakdown Test
Old 02-04-2009, 05:09 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Okay here's a little update. When I remove the dipstick, there's only a little smoke that comes out, not a whole bunch. I just got a compression tester so I'm going to check the compression right now. BRB!
Old 02-04-2009, 05:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

There is a great video on Youtube on DIY Compression test for the TC, its very straight forward....

Hope everything works out and glad i went turbo instead of the TRD

Quick Reply: Car majorly hesitated+smoke out the exhaust onWOT*(UPDATE!)*