Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Conventional or Ball Bearing turbo

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2006, 11:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Conventional or Ball Bearing turbo

I'm just trying to decide on a turbo I want to go with. First I looked at the Greddy kit simply because I liked the manifold but got over that pretty quick. ZPI's stage 1 kit has been in my mind since day one of my plans to go turbo. I just don't want to over look any turbos before I buy one. I'm trying not to be bias to any manufacturer but I know ZPI's stuff regardless of people's problems with refunds or costumer service, makes a pretty good proven product. Turbonetics seems to be the only ther option I'm down to. I'd probably pick Dezod's kit up with the E-manage. I'm still going to ZPI for the Block build and tune and I know they do all their work with E-manage.

So what do you guys think beween these two kits? I want to run a solid 10psi for my car maybe a little more since I'll have the internals. Ball bearing t3/t4 or Big 16g with trust bearing is what it basicly comes down to.
Old 11-01-2006, 11:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have the ball bearing t3/t4 from Dezod and let me tell ya that thing has almost no lag and runs perfectly. If I were you I would definitely go with the Dezod kit...reason being Paul as a hell of a guy and will help you with any questions that you may have with the kit and or install even. The service is perfect...never been treated better by a company. Next, if you go with Dezod's kit, they have the E-manage already pre-programmed for you so you can enjoy the car a little before you get it tuned. With Dezod you get great stuff but most of all great service...and thats from personal experience.

Talk to Paul if you get a chance or check out their site. It was the smartest move I've made and best money I've ever spent
Old 11-01-2006, 11:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

With a built motor you may want to start off with a larger 18G turbo.

Must the ball bearing equipped T3/T4 be water cooled?
Old 11-01-2006, 11:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Put a few more bucks down for the GTK.
Old 11-02-2006, 12:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

These are all things I've been thinking about. I don't want to go crazy with the power. It'll only be a matter of time before other things start breaking on the car, but it's nice to know the car has big potential. I'm building the block for long term reliability for the higher boost levels. Really can't wait to see what the GTK will bring to the table. Oh, and I know all about Paul and what he brings to this forum with costumer servise. He'll stay on a topic and reply to everyone's questions, VERY rare for any company to do. I only wish more companies would put the time and effort into that area of a business.

Question about the Dezod kit if anyone can answer it. My friend has the turbonetics kit and he kept blowing the seal on his compressor housing (I think thats where it was). The kit didn't come with a gasket so he picked up some kind of sealant and that never really did the job. Anything on the Dezod kit?
Old 11-02-2006, 12:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

What kind of sound are you guys getting out of the Dezod setup with the HKS BOV??? The Raptor BOV on my buddies is kind of quiet and always has an interrupted sputter to it, don't know if thats an open dump or not. I know this is a cosmetic thing but I wouldn't mind people hearing the turbo doing it's thing.
Old 11-02-2006, 12:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The HKS not only looks great but has a great sound with it as well. I love the sound of it b/c ppl are always looking over goin "WTF is under the hood?!?!" Its an attention getter...lol
Old 11-02-2006, 12:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

base dezod kit comse with a conventional bearing turbo. there is a ball bearing upgrade if you want it though. also yeah, the hks sounds really nice (vented to atmosphere), turbonetics uses a recirculated raptor.
Old 11-02-2006, 04:02 AM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by Robs_tc
Question about the Dezod kit if anyone can answer it. My friend has the turbonetics kit and he kept blowing the seal on his compressor housing (I think thats where it was). The kit didn't come with a gasket so he picked up some kind of sealant and that never really did the job. Anything on the Dezod kit?
Never heard of anyone on here with a Dezod kit with this problem. Never heard anyone with a T/netics kit on here with that problem either.
Old 11-02-2006, 05:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

A few have posted their problems on the turbonetics owners club site. So he wasn't the only one. Simple fix though.
Old 11-02-2006, 06:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Turbonetics has built in oil pressure limiter systems that prevent you from blowing the seals. We chose them because we're confident that it's adequate for the tC.

I saved myself the 500 from the BB option and used that towards a clutch
Old 11-03-2006, 12:47 AM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

Originally Posted by Joe_Dezod
Turbonetics has built in oil pressure limiter systems that prevent you from blowing the seals. We chose them because we're confident that it's adequate for the tC.

I saved myself the 500 from the BB option and used that towards a clutch
Yup, yup!!!

BB is not a requirement by any means, but on our S1.............as many say, it's lagless!!
Old 11-03-2006, 12:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

HKS BOV sounds nice, but i have a tiAl BOV, and i like it better then the HKS, its louder and sounds different, i like the sound better
Old 11-04-2006, 06:02 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

as far as the turbonetics ball bearing turbos having to be water cooled, they don't. However, t-netics is going to start shipping all their kits with a water cooled bearing housing so you can have the option. It brings down temps a good 300-400 degrees. If you are looking into turbo kits, t-net will be offering the GT-K turbos as an upgrade to all their kits and believe me, you will want that.
Since you will have a built motor you don't want to waste your money on a smaller 16g with limited top end performance. Go with something larger that will be capable of getting you those numbers your engine is able to withstand.