Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Dezod Turbo Kit Install this Weekend.. Couple questions..

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 02:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Dezod Turbo Kit Install this Weekend.. Couple questions..

Alright, the time for turbo is long overdue. I will be installing my Dezod kit Friday night and then taking it over to Ripp Mods for tune Saturday morning. Hopefully everything goes smoothly so that I can get a couple hours of sleep in before the Redbulls vs. Galaxy game at Giants Stadium.

Anywhoo, I have a couple quick questions about this install.

1. I have NGK bkr7eix 11 sprak plugs. They come stock with 0.044 gap. I have heard the gap to run on the tC is 0.040. Should I really mess with these plugs being they're iridium?

2. Anyone have a writeup for installing non plug and play fuel injectors? I was looking at the one on Dezod but it is a little confusing.

3. Anyone want to comment on the best way to get the oil pan off? It sounds like it can be a pain if you don't know the trick.

4. Will I lose my fogs with this kit?

5. Any other things that are overlooked when installing a kit? Any random parts, install methods, etc. you guys know of that are necessary for the kit to be installed and run properly? I don't want to lose the kit or the motor cuz of some stupid thing (ie, colder spark plugs, high octane fuel, not using high temp silicone, not driving low rpms on untuned emanage, etc.).

Number fiver is what I am most concerned about. I know a bunch of this stuff is probably searchable but I am bored at work and more so interested in what people have to say from their experience.

Thanks,
JOE
Old 07-17-2008, 02:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Ronin Scion
SL Member
Premium Member

1. they are step 2 right? dont mess with it, the tuner can.. that if you arent sure

2. its only two wire to splice, but dont have a link

3. A rubber mallet did mine, some use torch, some use blades

4. most likely not unless you have a fancy one

5. five is hard, we dont have the full info of what you have and what you know
Old 07-17-2008, 02:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

plugs are one step colder. I thought this was the one to get because I heard two steps were really not necessary for 100 horses extra.

As for question five I was hoping anyone could throw out any little problems they ran into or parts that they had to run out to get or anything that really messed up their car. I think I know everything I have to do to install and maintain this properly but even something as little as not running synthetic oil can ruin the whole thing. That's more of what I'm looking for.

Thanks, JOE
Old 07-17-2008, 02:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

used a torch on my pan, worked fine...

pick up some of that red RTV sealant for the oil pan and oil fittings...

oh yea, you'll need some vacuum hoses...

I picked up some motul engine cleaner and ran that prior to draining the oil...

W/ dezod piping fog light will fit fine... just be careful not popping one out and cracking it putting the bumper on... ;(...
Old 07-17-2008, 07:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

thanks for the response scooba.. that's exactly the sort of stuff that I'm looking for.

Turbo is gonna start goign in the car in almost 24 hours so any other comments would be appreciated...

Thanks, JOE
Old 07-19-2008, 01:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

How did the install go?
Old 07-19-2008, 02:09 PM
Banned
SL Member

gap the plugs at .032-.034

New exhaust manifold gasket, New donut gasket if you cant get the one off the stock header. new o-rings and insulators from toyota for the injectors

other than that its very straightforward

good luck
Old 07-19-2008, 05:18 PM
aen
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Dezod Turbo Kit Install this Weekend.. Couple questions

Originally Posted by guitarguru44

Anywhoo, I have a couple quick questions about this install.

1. I have NGK bkr7eix 11 sprak plugs. They come stock with 0.044 gap. I have heard the gap to run on the tC is 0.040. Should I really mess with these plugs being they're iridium? with the -11 you shoudln't need to gap them at all.

2. Anyone have a writeup for installing non plug and play fuel injectors? I was looking at the one on Dezod but it is a little confusing. install them hte same as the dezod PNP just use the stock one's o-rings

3. Anyone want to comment on the best way to get the oil pan off? It sounds like it can be a pain if you don't know the trick. heres the best trick by far. get a BUNCH of razor blades and hammer them ALL around the oil pan, it'll cut the silicone and have the thing off in about 10 minutes.

4. Will I lose my fogs with this kit? nah

5. Any other things that are overlooked when installing a kit? Any random parts, install methods, etc. you guys know of that are necessary for the kit to be installed and run properly? I don't want to lose the kit or the motor cuz of some stupid thing (ie, colder spark plugs, high octane fuel, not using high temp silicone, not driving low rpms on untuned emanage, etc.). you should be fine, don't fret so much. have a problem? ask us.

Thanks,
JOE
Old 07-19-2008, 05:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

3. to take off the oil pan go to trdsparks.com and download the install kit for the s/c it gives you detailed instructions on how to remove the oil pan, considering toyota service guys have to do it that way it is probably the best way, also it'll give you the part # for the stuff they use to reseal it, i'm doing my s/c this weekend and i matched up all the trd parts so i dont make any mistakes,

4. not really sure if you would lose the fogs you might not want them there because they could get in the way of the FMIC and also idk if it is a good idea to run wires that close to the FMIC so i'm pretty sure you are going to lose them
P.S. if you do decide to take the fogs off i will gladly buy them off of you!!! lmk thanks
Old 07-19-2008, 05:29 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

I just wanted to say im jealous of you going to see that game. Soccer is the best sport ever. Sorry to thread jack.
Old 07-20-2008, 07:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

thanks for the help guys.

As for the install, it never happened because Ripp Mods scheduled me for a day when the tuner wasn't going to be in the shop. (Thanks a lot, lol). They were at a show in PA installing a supercharger or something. I understand that they are busy but it would have been nicer to know in advance, rather than the day I was planning on installing the thing, lol.. But I've heard great things about them so I'm willing to wait until this Friday for the install and hopefully Saturday for th tune if I can get it scheduled.

As for the soccer game it was definitely a good game. I can't believe Donovan scored in a freakin pass and that he almost won the game even though it should have been over. Redbulls definitely should have been won the game but it ended 2-2.

And another problem with the install was I found out my freakin boost gauge wouldn't power up. I was messing around trying to setup the gauges with power so I would have a little jump start on the install and the freakin thing wouldn't power up. I dunno why. I guess that's the sort of crap you get for buying a 300 mile used boost gauge online. So if anyone has a boost gauge for sale let me know. And possibly an oil pressure as the on I have is not as cool looking as my AEM digital gauges..

JOE
Old 07-20-2008, 08:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

Well sounds like you have most little things figured out.

The only thing i would suggest doing that hasnt been said yet is get your oil pan fitting welded on. It will make it leak proof and then u never have to worry about it.

Also if your looking for a boost and oil pressure gauge, I have both of those for sale and they are Defi gauges. Excellent condition and I gurantee you that they will power up and work! lol
Old 07-20-2008, 12:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Wow...that sucks about the install. But I guess 6 more days isn't much in the grand scheme of things.

About your gauge.....by won't power up, what do you mean? Is it a digital gauge and won't come on?
Old 07-20-2008, 03:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

If you're using the F/IC, DO NOT go to RIPP Mods in Staten Island. I've heard they don't have the slightest clue with what to do with the F/IC.
Old 07-20-2008, 03:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

welded oil pan sounds like a pretty good idea.

and I'm going with the emanage, so I think I will be alright.

But yea a few more days and hopefully things will go good.
Old 07-20-2008, 03:31 PM
Banned
SL Member

they tuned my emanage twice very well.. and a third time soon