Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Dezod vs. Turbonetics

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 05:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by RusWolf
i made 299whp on dezod kit at 9 psi... dezod is a good kit, their customer service is also top notch theeres only one item in ptunings kit is better which is manifold. but dezod is about to release their race manifold.

Have you seen a Ptuning kit in person? Have you personally spoken to MrC or any of the PTuning technical staff about the qualities of their design and setup? I would have to say no. Trust me, there is more than just one item that's better. 3 inch v-band downpipe, methanol injection pre welded, CAI style intake to the turbo, Blow-thru setup, shorter intercooler pipe routing, just to name a few.
Old 11-10-2009, 06:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

No doubt PTuning's kit looks better. They have paid a lot of attention to detail. However you do pay extra for it.

Dollar for Dollar, both PTuning and Dezod are close - both provide good results. However if you can save a little more, I would go with the PTuning because it provides more potential for growth into the 500whp+ club. You can make good power with Dezod's kit, but physics will demand more effort is put into the Dezod kit for those numbers. There are limitations to a log-style manifold and a 2.5" downpipe and smaller intakes and charge piping.

Dezod is supposed to come out with a "Race kit" which should prove interesting. I can't wait to see it.
Old 11-10-2009, 07:15 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by rhythmnsmoke
Have you seen a Ptuning kit in person? Have you personally spoken to MrC or any of the PTuning technical staff about the qualities of their design and setup? I would have to say no. Trust me, there is more than just one item that's better. 3 inch v-band downpipe, methanol injection pre welded, CAI style intake to the turbo, Blow-thru setup, shorter intercooler pipe routing, just to name a few.
Dont be so quick jump and say no !

1) Yes i have spoke to MrC and Brandon several times and noone is saying they are not quality.
2) Ohhh yeah i visit them everyday, they are just around the corner here in Baghdad and i had ALOT of free time before deployment as instead of training for it i was just chilling in my room for 3 month.... Come on man, look at where i'm at before you jump.

3)Yes all those things are good to have what you said..... BUT IMHO one thing that is better AND something thats expensive to replace is the manifold.

Tell me i'm wrong.
blow thru set up several people here switched to it, CAI style intake some people like it, i personally dont care about it, since if i understand correctly filter is relocated down to the fender and just like CAI can be made to absorb some water in a weird one is a 100 situation. And back in NY in a bad rain i drove thru the puddle which was deeper then it looked, plus SUV passed me and a bus flew by on the opposite side all of that stuff created a BUG wave and somehow i took some water. Luckily no damage was done, but nonethless filter was wet.

So for me, the most important part in their kit is the manifold.
Old 11-10-2009, 07:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by B_Real45
No doubt PTuning's kit looks better. They have paid a lot of attention to detail. However you do pay extra for it.

Dollar for Dollar, both PTuning and Dezod are close - both provide good results. However if you can save a little more, I would go with the PTuning because it provides more potential for growth into the 500whp+ club. You can make good power with Dezod's kit, but physics will demand more effort is put into the Dezod kit for those numbers. There are limitations to a log-style manifold and a 2.5" downpipe and smaller intakes and charge piping.

Dezod is supposed to come out with a "Race kit" which should prove interesting. I can't wait to see it.

I would like to actually see it being "raced" and then released, but...who knows. Would like to see it being proven to be a "race" kit though.
Old 11-10-2009, 07:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Can these threads end already lol.
Old 11-10-2009, 07:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I would like to actually see it being "raced" and then released, but...who knows. Would like to see it being proven to be a "race" kit though.
In all seriousness. Would you like to be a tester for the new kit?
Old 11-10-2009, 07:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Dont be so quick jump and say no !

1) Yes i have spoke to MrC and Brandon several times and noone is saying they are not quality.
2) Ohhh yeah i visit them everyday, they are just around the corner here in Baghdad and i had ALOT of free time before deployment as instead of training for it i was just chilling in my room for 3 month.... Come on man, look at where i'm at before you jump.

3)Yes all those things are good to have what you said..... BUT IMHO one thing that is better AND something thats expensive to replace is the manifold.

Tell me i'm wrong.
blow thru set up several people here switched to it, CAI style intake some people like it, i personally dont care about it, since if i understand correctly filter is relocated down to the fender and just like CAI can be made to absorb some water in a weird one is a 100 situation. And back in NY in a bad rain i drove thru the puddle which was deeper then it looked, plus SUV passed me and a bus flew by on the opposite side all of that stuff created a BUG wave and somehow i took some water. Luckily no damage was done, but nonethless filter was wet.

So for me, the most important part in their kit is the manifold.

LOL...man I don't keep up with who is deployed and who isn't.

And these mods (i.e. CAI setup) are not a matter of preference, they are a matter of efficiency. Read Corky Bell's "Maximum Boost". READ IT! Great book, and you will understand where I'm coming from, and not taking things from just a "visual" aspect.

And no, a CAI turbo setup is NOT like a CAI N/A setup. Little common sense here, but water traveling through a filter on the turbo would have to pass through the X thousands degrees turbine, manage to travel through the intercooler piping, and then be enough in quantity to travel into the TB to do damnage. Two words..."not happening".

I thought you had more knowledge on these things. So, I recommend that you pick up "Maximum Boost". I'm not finished reading it myself but it is a great book and will keep you from getting the "wool pulled over your eyes" from people trying to sell you something when there are better options or sell you something that you absolutely don't need.
Old 11-10-2009, 07:33 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

crap don dont give that fool a kit...lol
Old 11-10-2009, 07:35 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

travis I'm sorry but it sounds more like your on a bandwagon than anything els...you take poop personally like you own p-tuning...lol
Old 11-10-2009, 07:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

What exactly does this new race kit include? I'm always down to be a lab rat lol
Old 11-10-2009, 07:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by DezodDon
In all seriousness. Would you like to be a tester for the new kit?

I would be violating certain aspects of my Time Attack build if I did. But we have several guys running Time Attack and AutoX in the crew and would be happy with such offer.

Keep in mind though I am not talking bad about Dezod in any way, as I know we can bump heads a little through written words.

Sticking to the topic of this thread.

Dezod > Turbonetics Hands down.
Old 11-10-2009, 07:38 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

And these mods (i.e. CAI setup) are not a matter of preference, they are a matter of efficiency. Read Corky Bell's "Maximum Boost". READ IT! Great book, and you will understand where I'm coming from, and not taking things from just a "visual" aspect.

And no, a CAI turbo setup is NOT like a CAI N/A setup. Little common sense here, but water traveling through a filter on the turbo would have to pass through the X thousands degrees turbine, manage to travel through the intercooler piping, and then be enough in quantity to travel into the TB to do damnage. Two words..."not happening".

I thought you had more knowledge on these things. So, I recommend that you pick up "Maximum Boost". I'm not finished reading it myself but it is a great book and will keep you from getting the "wool pulled over your eyes" from people trying to sell you something when there are better options or sell you something that you absolutely don't need.
good grief don't utter those words again, it sounds too hypocritical
Old 11-10-2009, 07:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by crush02342002
travis I'm sorry but it sounds more like your on a bandwagon than anything els...you take poop personally like you own p-tuning...lol

Bandwagon....I don't know to many Bandwagon riders with their Clubs name tatted on the side of PTunings Time Attack tC. I don't know to many bandwagon riders PTuning has trusted to jump down underneathe their car and help them tear apart their transmission on race day.

And I'm pretty sure I don't know to many bandwagon riders who have had their crew rush home to his house to grab a donor Transmission for parts to be swapped onto PTunings TA tC.

I take my hard work a little more serious than being a bandwagon rider. Thanks for the insult.
Old 11-10-2009, 07:45 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

Bandwagon....I don't know to many Bandwagon riders with their Clubs name tatted on the side of PTunings Time Attack tC. I don't know to many bandwagon riders PTuning has trusted to jump down underneathe their car and help them tear apart their transmission on race day.

And I'm pretty sure I don't know to many bandwagon riders who have had their crew rush home to his house to grab a donor Transmission for parts to be swapped onto PTunings TA tC.

I take my hard work a little more serious than being a bandwagon rider. Thanks for the insult.
see thats why i like messing with you, you get your panties all in a twist.
Old 11-10-2009, 07:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

^^Boy....I aatta...

Be nice to me...lol. My second son was just born only a few hours ago (8:26am). So, I'm in a good mood cause he's healthy with all his extremities...lol
Old 11-10-2009, 07:53 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SL Member

you dont have to keep track you just have to look at my location.. too easy... maybe little commom sense here ?

and for the record i bought my dezod kit brand new for 1900 with everything... show me a better deal for a brand new kit...

and Chris i would have to agree with you on the bandwagon here... cracks me up.

relax travis no one is offending your dearly loved ptuning here, lol...

Last edited by RusWolf; 11-10-2009 at 07:57 PM.
Old 11-10-2009, 07:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Ok, gotta run. He's back from the nursery.
Old 11-10-2009, 07:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

you dont have to keep track you just have to look at my location.. too easy... maybe little commom sense here ?

and for the record i bought my dezod kit brand new for 1900 with everything... show me a better deal for a brand new kit

I'll keep that in mind.

Cheap doesn't equal better though. Just messing with ya. Good deal for the price...
Old 11-10-2009, 08:02 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SL Member

I would be violating certain aspects of my Time Attack build if I did. But we have several guys running Time Attack and AutoX in the crew and would be happy with such offer.

Keep in mind though I am not talking bad about Dezod in any way, as I know we can bump heads a little through written words.

Sticking to the topic of this thread.

Dezod > Turbonetics Hands down.

i'm pretty sure the topic was simple opinions... but i guess i see something else.
Old 11-10-2009, 08:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Cold air for a turbo is a good thing, CAI on a turbo is a good thing.

There is a little bit of inaccurate information though that I would like to clear up though.

When water passes through a filter it is a fluid. It can pass through a filter. If not then we wouldn't have the many stories of people getting caught in floods, sucking up water and hydrolocking engines.

When water enters into a Compressor, which is on the compressor side, not a turbine which is on the exhaust side it will encounter the blades. These blades are not at x thousands of degrees. The shafts generally do not get hotter than 300-450 degrees, oil keeps the center section cool, if the oil temperature reached higher than 300 degrees it normally breaks down and is rendered useless, or burns up. It doesn't tend to reach those temps because it isn't stagnant, it is constantly flowing and dissipating its heat. Typical flash points are around 400-450.

The problem here is that these blades were not meant to move fluid (not that this kind of pump can't move fluid but they are not meant to encounter fluids at these impeller speeds) When the water/fluid collides with the impeller you tend to get cavitation, when not designed to handle fluids as such it will cause pitting in the blades which will lead to a host of other problems such as imbalance, fatigue and eventually failure of the compressor wheel. I know this from studies performed by a close friend who is an Engineer/car enthusiast at Cameron Compression, cameron makes giant turbine compressors. The study results were shared with me and I am passing them on here. So in a way, having meth sprayed on a speeding compressor blade is actually a bad idea and poor choice which is probably why you see meth bungs being plumbed into a charge pipe before the throttle body. Meth being sprayed into a turbo has just as much time to settle in the intercooler as the water one might pick up in a puddle.

Just wanted to clear some of that up.

Maximum boost is a great book, it's not the bible though. There are many other sources for good information that is more contemporary. The book has it's flaws as do Corky Bells theories. Hence this quote from his own website on charge coolers

What is the importance of a leak in an intercooler?
With the water intercooler, a leak in the main cooler core could induce a significant problem into the engine. External leaks are just annoying, but not likely to be harmful. The air unit must have a very large leak before it can cause any problem whatsoever. If pressurized and placed under water, an air intercooler will need to “billow” bubbles before it causes any noticeable problem. A dozen small trickles of bubbles would be entirely meaningless to performance.

That statement is false and has been proven on MAF cars.

My main point is that there is a ton of information but no one place has it all. If you are looking to hone your knowledge with more information that is specific to turbocharging this is a good source I highly recommend. You will need to subscribe and pay for a login.

http://www.sae.org/servlets/index

I am a member and have been for the last 10 years. Enjoy

Don

Quick Reply: Dezod vs. Turbonetics