Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

E85 gurus please chime in.

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2012, 05:51 AM

Default E85 gurus please chime in.

I know i seem kinda noob- ish because i really havent posted much since i joined, but im not new to the tC game. I had a RS 1.0 about a year and a half ago and traded it in for my 2005 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro. Im actually looking to get back INTO a tC because i miss mine. I never did any "go fast" mods to the 1.0 because it was automatic and i felt like i couldnt trust the trans to hold. Anyways, im looking at another tC and im going to turbo it and run E85. I have some questions regarding running this fuel. (i use tapatalk so searching really doesnt help. Google doesnt offer much either besides the video of the guy making 465whp on E)

What fuel pump do you recommend be used with E85?

Do you HAVE to run a return fuel system?

I see people using somewhat "small" injectors. Is there a reason why i dont see many people running 1000cc+ injectors? Ive got friends in the srt- 4 world that use 1100cc injectors for their E85 setups and run no return fuel system. I know its a totally different car, but im just sayin'

What do you guys prefer as far as tuning goes?

What gauges (besides boost) do you guys run in your cars to monitor everything?

Any other info you guys can spill the beans on? Ive got a whole lot of E85 stations around me and ive been dying to use it along with all my srt- 4 friends. Cheap race gas FTW. Not to mention i love the smell.

Thread is useless without pictures.

Heres my RS 1.0 back in her prime. All stock motor- wise. Lowered on Raceland Coils and BBS replica wheels

And my current car. 2005 Audi A4 6- speed Quattro. Eibach lowering springs, solid motor and trans mounts, FMIC, Billy Boat exhaust, and Unitronics Stage 2 tune

Old 09-07-2012, 11:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

What is your horsepower goal?
Old 09-07-2012, 01:09 PM

Id be happy to see anywhere between 300-350 at the wheels
Old 09-07-2012, 01:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

For 300-350whp on E85, youll at least need something like a Deatchwerks 300lph pump in the tank. You could easilly get away without a return system (I ran without a return system up until about 400whp). As for injectors youd need around 700's for that power goal, however Id recommend 1000's in case you decide to take it a bit further.
Old 09-07-2012, 02:00 PM

To be honest, id rather go kinda overboard on all the mods (meaning a hefty fuel pump, bigger injectors than what i actually need, a big turbo thats "tuned down" to my hp goal. Rather than tuned up to my hp goal and be strung out, etc). Id like to stay away from a return fuel system. Which can be done with big injectors, correct? (talking about 1000cc+) I feel like a return setup would be a hassle so id rather just not bother. Do you guys run the stock fuel rail? What about intake manifold?

Also, as far as tuning goes, are you guys able to tune to switch between E85 and 93 octane? Do you have two seperate maps that you have for each fuel? Im in chicago and running E in the winter isnt much fun according to the people who i know that run it. So they have a whole seperate tune for E and for 93 so they can run 93 in the winter and E in the summer.

Thanks for the info, much appreciated :up:
Old 09-07-2012, 02:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You want to go overboard but you want to skimp on the fuel?

Also why are you running E85 when you only want to make 300hp?
Old 09-07-2012, 03:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Big turbo on low boost is just gonna give you more lag (and need bigger wastegate to prevent boost spikes) and e85 requires a lot more fuel than gasoline so a return setup would be ideal I'm pretty sure. And yes you would have 2 diff maps for each fuel.

I'm not a tuner, just putting in my input from what I''ve learned since I went with a turbo

I was tuned on 10psi with 93 octane and was fine with stock fuel system. Had to adjust fueling a little for winter but it was quick

And seem to think I heard really big injectors make it hard to get a smooth idle

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
Old 09-07-2012, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by trd07tc
You want to go overboard but you want to skimp on the fuel?

Also why are you running E85 when you only want to make 300hp?
I dont want to skimp out on fuel, i still want a pump that flows enough for what i need. I just dont want to run a return fuel system, which i thought you could get away with when using big injectors. I thought that with the smaller injectors, say 700cc's for example, youd need the return. Whereas with bigger injectors you wouldnt need the return. Am i making an ___ of myself with that assumption? Or can anyone give me a quick rundown on how that works? Im looking to run E due to lower cost of fuel. I understand you need to spray more E than you would 93 so youd go through fuel faster. I dont mind because i dont drive very far to work and such anyways. Im also looking to run it due to the fact that knock is pretty much non- existent and it burns cooler

Originally Posted by Erager09
Big turbo on low boost is just gonna give you more lag (and need bigger wastegate to prevent boost spikes) and e85 requires a lot more fuel than gasoline so a return setup would be ideal I'm pretty sure. And yes you would have 2 diff maps for each fuel.

I'm not a tuner, just putting in my input from what I''ve learned since I went with a turbo

I was tuned on 10psi with 93 octane and was fine with stock fuel system. Had to adjust fueling a little for winter but it was quick

And seem to think I heard really big injectors make it hard to get a smooth idle

I have to agree with you on the turbo seeming more laggy on low boost. Ill have to keep that in mind. What sort of boost numbers are you running? How easy is it to switch between maps for E and 93? Ive also heard around that its difficult to make big injectors idle smoothy, but its not impossible to make them do so. My buddy is running FIC 1100's in his srt- 4 (different car, i know) and his car starts up and idles as if its stock. No issues what so ever.

I appreciate the input guys!
Old 09-07-2012, 05:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

10 psi on gtk 450 turbo. Boost creeps up to 12 cause wastegate is a bit small and running 3in exhaust but tuned it to compensate for that. Won't be able issue after we build motor and up boost. Never dyno'd. Guessing around 300hp?

Old 09-26-2012, 05:07 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Imo, if your goal is 3-350, e85 would have no purpose other than the ability to say, " yeah, im running e85". If its the pro's you want from 85 i.e. cooler combustion, a water/meth injection kit is ideal, cost effective and simple to install. The meth will also fight auto ignition by ramping up fuel octane. I have a 2 stage AEM water meth kit on my cobra that gives me what is equivalent to 116 octane out of 92 pump gas. You will need a custom fuel map for the meth, but you also would for e85, so no loss there. But if you must have e85, a dwerks 300 pump and 750's should in theory be enough lb/h flow. I wouldnt convert to a return if possible. Its a little tougher to tune a pulse modulated returnless setup but i gladly would do so to avoid elevated fuel temps in the tank with an EVAP emissions control. Plus water/meth mixture is as cheap as the cheapest 51/49 mix windshield washer fluid you can find, about $2/gallon at any gas station, auto parts store, etc. More available than e85

My. 02

Sent from my huge ___ SAMSUNG NOTE using tapatalk 2