Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

First time boost questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 02:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default First time boost questions

So ima be boosted within the next few months, im planning a Godspeed t3/t60-1 turbo, Cast iron mani, Godspeed FMIC and piping (2.5), HKS Bov, 550 cc injectors, tial 38mm wastegate, dezod oil feed return lines, HKS Filter, and either a aem fic or greddy blue emanage, dont really know where to get a downpipe. if im missing any turbo parts let me know? The godspeed turbos are built with garett internals so thats why thats my choice of turbo.

EDIT:
I will be using intercooler piping and intercooler of a friend here locally that was made by the shop VLSpeed here in town that fits well. He's pretty much selling me his set up that has everything i mentioned above except that it comes with a AEM FI/C tuned by Church's Automotive in L.A. at 7psi. The cast iron im gonna toss dont want it cracking on me. I was looking at manifolds, can anyone tell me if the Megan Steel Mani is legit for my type of setup or should i just have one custom made at VLSpeed? And will the megan keep my A/C? BTW, he made 273whp 280lbs/torque on 6.5/7psi with that setup with the cast iron with the 60-1.

Questions:
1)Does intercooler piping matter?
2)Does intercooler piping brand matter?
3)Does the piping being aluminum matter?
4)Does it having so many clamps and couplers matter?
5)What intercooler piping set up works the best?
6)How do/can i maintenence my car with it being bosted?
7)What precautions do i need to take?
8 )What kinda gas?
9)How long can i run it without being tuned?
10)How do i not blow my turbo and motor? lol

If i have anymore questions just know ill ask. Lol, anyone that could help me would be appreciated. Sorry ima total noob when it comes down to mechanical ish

Last edited by sebbyxtc; 12-02-2010 at 01:20 AM.
Old 11-30-2010, 03:56 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/ann...hp?f=1645&a=19
Old 11-30-2010, 04:12 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by sebbyxtc
So ima be boosted within the next few months, im planning a Godspeed t3/t60-1 turbo, Cast iron mani, Godspeed FMIC and piping (2.5), HKS Bov, 550 cc injectors, tial 38mm wastegate, dezod oil feed return lines, HKS Filter, and either a aem fic or greddy blue emanage, dont really know where to get a downpipe. if im missing any turbo parts let me know? The godspeed turbos are built with garett internals so thats why thats my choice of turbo.

Questions:
Does intercooler piping matter?
Does intercooler piping brand matter?
Does the piping being aluminum matter?
Does it having so many clamps and couplers matter?
What intercooler piping set up works the best?
How do/can i maintenence my car with it being bosted?
What precautions do i need to take?
What kinda gas?
How long can i run it without being tuned?
How do i not blow my turbo and motor? lol

If i have anymore questions just know ill ask. Lol, anyone that could help me would be appreciated. Sorry ima total noob when it comes down to mechanical ish
1. you want to atleast match the ic pipes size with the turbo outlet size
2. not really but stick with a name brand, fit and finish will be 100% better than these off the wall brands.
3. no, not really.
4. dezod sells ic pipes by themselves as a kit, however its not likley to work 100% with off the wall kits. its based off of thier turbo kit and fits their stuff. its a better start than some ebay pipes. not sure who els sells just ic pipes by themselves.
5. use synthetic oil and change as normal.
6. dont boost untuned, do a good install, dont cheap out, watch afr's
7.93 octane
8. never boost untuned
9. by doing the above
Old 11-30-2010, 04:19 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

this is just a cliff notes version...search and youll find more info
Old 11-30-2010, 04:24 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

no too bad of a setup. i wouldnt get the godspeed turbo. the oil rings are pieces of crap. i had one on my ralliart last year and it was a nightmare. but other than that, thank god your not an idiot and refused engine management.

1 & 2) The bigger, the more flow. Buying a universal kit will require custom fabrication and will be kinda a pain in the a**. You can get kits on turbo-kits.com just for intercooler pipng specially fitted to your car.

3) What else would you get?? anything non metallic will definitely melt.

4) What blackdarth said.

5) I just bought a dezod kit, that fit quite nicely as far as piping.

6) Not quite sure what your asking. If your auto, get a tranny cooler and replace trans fluid very often and dont go over 240ft lb tq.

7) Lots. Since your building your own kit, there is a lot of room for failure. Get a wideband so you know where your at in afr's so you dont blow up your motor. Suuuuuper hottttt, gonna have to use a crap ton of heat wrap so you dont blow up your AC line like i did. Dont use teflon tape on oil lines.

93, DONT GO LOWER UNLESS YOU WANT TO RISK DETONATION. dont go cheap, use 93......did i mention to use 93 only??

9) Depends, if i were u, i wouldnt even run it with unless it was tuned. You might be able to get away with it at low boost, but its a huge risk. people have done it, people have gotten away with it, and people have also blew their motor. so thats up to you as far as not tuning right away.

10) depending on how much hp your looking for, get a turbo that can handle more power than what you want. try to keep the heat down as much as you can in your turbo so you dont fry the seals or oil rings. and as far as your motor goes, dont push it past 11 psi. you can MAYBE get it tunes at 14 but thats pushing it big time. if you drive a lot stay at like 8 or 10, with a good tune, and you should be good.

A word of advice: Dont go cheap. the cheaper you go and the more impatient you are, the more likely you are to fail. Do your research, and realize the facts. Boosting costs lots and lots of money to get great results. Dont try to find loopholes. Everyone on here has tested the loop holes and gotten the failing results, Including me. Whats these people tell you one here (respected members) are how it is. If you try to work around and cheap your way out of it, you WILL fail. To be on the safe side, save your money, and get a complete kit and get it tuned. Thats the only way your going to be almost 100% safe.
Old 11-30-2010, 04:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i was wondering when we were going to start getting more of these threads
Old 11-30-2010, 04:36 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

ahhh...they pop up every so often
Old 11-30-2010, 04:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

ok i got this

Does intercooler piping matter?
yes, u want quilaty but light

Does intercooler piping brand matter?
yes, no ebay,no home depot. this is a scion. not a honda.

Does the piping being aluminum matter?
you dont want anything that absorbs heat. that would defeat the purpose. but most of the pipe these days is thick.

Does it having so many clamps and couplers matter?the less the better but if you need the change something out it nice to have more. i try to stick with 2 before and 2 after the intercooler. plus the two for the intercooler. so six. just dont make the piping out of couples

What intercooler piping set up works the best? dezod ,ptunning, descendent are the best

How do/can i maintenence my car with it being bosted?like a factory turbo'd car. 30 sec cool downs, check oil every gas fill. full syn oil.

What precautions do i need to take? get it tuned. not your bubby, or some guy on craigslist. a real tuner.

What kinda gas? 93 or better. must be top tier. no walmart or costco

How long can i run it without being tuned? never ever, ever

How do i not blow my turbo and motor? dont run 16 psi on a tune for ten.
dont go. 450 on a stock block. lets go for 600. oil is not over rated. i could go on but i think

we have made our point
Old 11-30-2010, 06:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Old 12-01-2010, 02:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Basically, everyone else has already said everything else, however I thought Id throw in one more thing on what Crush said, dont blame me if for some reason it doesnt work, but I have the same generic ebay cast mani and a 60-1, and I use the Dezod i/c piping kit - all i had to do was cut about 2in off the pipe that goes into the turbo Just thought that might help ya with choosing i/c piping Also Id recommend getting a Garrett or another name brand turbo, the ebay/godspeed ones tend to have issues even though they claim to be Garrett internals I might be selling mine soon - Im really wanting a 3076 lol
Old 12-01-2010, 08:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Save your money up. Think of what you want your end results to be. Use the search function and do some research on some of the other members cars that would be in your power range. Then spend that money you saved up on good reputable tune/tuner and good quality parts (I'd imagine preferably a complete kit w/ all the goodies you’ll need, EX: Dezod, Descendant, P-Tuning, because it doesn't seem like you want to spend the money on a complete custom set-up which can get pretty expensive.) After that you should be good to go and have some fun.
Old 12-01-2010, 03:47 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

Originally Posted by GetIt
Save your money up. Think of what you want your end results to be. Use the search function and do some research on some of the other members cars that would be in your power range. Then spend that money you saved up on good reputable tune/tuner and good quality parts (I'd imagine preferably a complete kit w/ all the goodies you’ll need, EX: Dezod, Descendant, P-Tuning, because it doesn't seem like you want to spend the money on a complete custom set-up which can get pretty expensive.) After that you should be good to go and have some fun.

Agreed. Boosting on a budget can lead to nightmares, motors with holes in them and just overall problems. This is not to say that a kit purchased from a company can not, because the quality of install is 100% the real catcher. So, in all, I'd say do some research and feel free to PM me or call with any questions you may have.
Old 12-02-2010, 01:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks guys for all the help and replies i appreciate it. I have changed up my setup a bit due to all the input, i edited the first post so check it out and let me know what you think. oh and for the record Bakersfield doesnt have 93!!! all we have is 91 hahahah
Old 12-02-2010, 01:15 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

that sux...what about e85?
Old 12-02-2010, 01:21 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

e85 has an octane of 94-96
Old 12-02-2010, 01:23 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E85

http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/h...tane_rate.html
Old 12-02-2010, 01:37 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

though i would seek help with an e85 set up... if you wanted to go with e85 i would recommend a min of 750-850cc injectors for roughly 10psi on a typical t3/t4 57trim turbo. optamally you would want a return fuel system.

but all this prolly isnt needed, you could get by using 91 octane if boost pressure is kept within reason, decent intercooler used, retard a bit more timeing, 2 step colder plugs perhaps.

another option is to maybe use water/meth injection
Old 12-02-2010, 01:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Honestly i had never heard of e85 till i joined the forums lol, and i think one Fast Trip here in Bakersfield has 100 Octane but idk if thats any good. Im not about to go look around town to see if anyone has 93, ive lived here 6 years and have never seen 93 lol not at Chevron not anywhere
Old 12-02-2010, 01:43 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

Bakersfield Cali. huh? elevation is 400ft above sea level right?
Old 12-02-2010, 01:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yes Cali lol, i would say closer to 500.

Quick Reply: First time boost questions