Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Fuel Help

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 08:39 PM

Default Fuel Help

Ok, so, I am a noob with boosting injected applications, and I need some advice with which fuel controller to use. I have a 07 tC, and I want to make my commute to work a little more exciting. I am not looking to go ***** to the wall with power, just a little bit more then NA can offer. So, currently I'm torn between 410cc and 550cc injectors, not looking to boost more then 7lbs. What are my options as far as piggyback controllers? I know that AEM makes the FIC with a PNP harness, but it is listed for 05-06, will it work with my 07? What are the differences between 05-06 and 07? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-07-2011, 08:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the aem fic is available for 07+. the fic itself is the same, its the pnp harness that is different. i know some ppl on here have a harness for sale in the ppc. i would suggest goin with the 550 cc injectors. reason being is that ur always gonna want more boost so theyll leave u a lil bit of room for what ur looking for. just make sure u dont cheap out on certain parts such as turbo, wastegate, manifold design and downpipe. these are gonna be a crucial part to u running reliably as a dd. other than that just make sure u get a good strong yet conservative tune cuz this is the key factor to reliability.
Old 09-07-2011, 09:06 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

What turbo are wanting to run?
From the sound of it you could live with 550cc injectors and the fic.
Old 09-07-2011, 09:25 PM

I was planning on a Tial 44mm gate and a 16g, from what I think I know, the bigger the gate, the more the exhaust can be routed around the turbine, and therefore keep the boost pressures down. Good to know about the harnesses, is the FIC I should order the universal one (part #30-1910,) or is there another that is specific to the tC?

Also, correct me if I am wrong, as far as the MAF sensor location goes, if it is used pre-turbo then you have to use a recirculating type blow off valve, where as if you have the MAF after the turbo and blow off valve, then you can run an atmospheric dump and not worry about losing metered air. I wanted to run a atmospheric dump BOV, and since the AEM FIC has an internal MAP sensor to control fuel trim under boost, I shouldn't have to worry about having the MAF in the charge tube, or should I?
Old 09-08-2011, 01:19 AM
SL Member

There is alot of information on topic this on a recent thread i posted the general consensus is that firstly, there is no problem with the bov venting to atmosphere, you may get low rpms when you let off and the air is vented but the car will quickly correct that and you will not stall.

secondly there are various advantages and disadvantages to having the Maf in different locations ( before or after the turbo) it all depends on your use. it seems like for the dd turbo tc who wants a mild tune before the turbo ( draw thru ) is more common. but eather one is fine from what i have gathered
I hope this helps
Old 09-08-2011, 12:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

blow thru all the way!!!! lmao...being ur a dd and am i, a blow thru setup would be better in the event of a charge pipe blowing off. the car will not run with a draw thru setup if this happens. plus there are some other reasons but to each their own.
Old 09-09-2011, 08:14 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

injector size is dependent on power, and other supporting fuel mods (pump, return). it is not dependent on PSI. here's a good rule of thumb that ive always used:

370cc(stock) = 200whp MAX
440cc = 250whp MAX
550 = 300whp MAX

ive always gone by this, assuming your running 93 octane. and you always need to leave a little buffer room for accidental over-boost. that will save you big time. so if your gonna run, idk lets say 250hp, id get 550's just to be safe.
Old 09-09-2011, 01:26 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

Originally Posted by erik_the_great
Ok, so, I am a noob with boosting injected applications, and I need some advice with which fuel controller to use. I have a 07 tC, and I want to make my commute to work a little more exciting. I am not looking to go ***** to the wall with power, just a little bit more then NA can offer. So, currently I'm torn between 410cc and 550cc injectors, not looking to boost more then 7lbs. What are my options as far as piggyback controllers? I know that AEM makes the FIC with a PNP harness, but it is listed for 05-06, will it work with my 07? What are the differences between 05-06 and 07? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
For moderate power like that, 550s would give you more than enough to work with. Before you go buying a ton of parts (or wrong ones) you may want to consider a full bolt-on kit to make life easy.

http://www.dezod.com/pd-scion_tc_turbo.cfm
Old 09-10-2011, 01:23 PM

Thanks for the great info guys! Now, about that 93 octane, I've never actually seen anywhere in my area that sells above 91, will that really be a problem with the low boost that I'm planning for? All that you have to do is retard the timing a bit, right?

And thanks for the advice Paul, but there is something in my blood that prevents me from buying a full kit. lol
Old 09-12-2011, 09:02 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

you will have to pull a bit more timing for sure. i dont think it will be a huge issue, but i wouldnt plan on making tons of power with 91. just make sure you fuel up at a reliable, brand name station. no casey's or buckey's gas joints...thats all flammable water