Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Which Header with Jet-Hot Coating

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2006, 10:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Which Header with Jet-Hot Coating

Looking into the ideal header to go on my s/c tc. Getting it Jet-Coated with their 2000 coating good for 2450 degrees. Now does it matter if the header if made of mild steal or stainless when coating the header. I want to reduce heat as much as possible. Also in need of some kind of heat shield, hoping to get the hook up from another tC driver ion that one.

So, what do you say? DC Sports, Megan, or Alphawerks? Stainless or Mild Steal ceramic. Running a Magnaflow Catback so sound might play a factor but I've never heard any of them. Leaning towards DC since the Stainless is just going to be coated. Thanks for any input.
Old 07-21-2006, 01:14 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

We offer JH coating at a discount to SL members. FYI
Old 07-21-2006, 01:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

are there any facts that the coating will indeed help w/the heat? Another route to take is wrapping the header...which is what i think I may consider to do when i go TRD SC...unfortuantely you loose the beautiful ionization on the chrome when wrapping well you just cant see it, lol...but i suppose p[erformance above anything else right?

How much is the coating and are there variety of colors or is it cermaic coating?
Old 07-21-2006, 01:31 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

The DC header already comes ceramicly coated its not stainless. IF i had a S/C and an aftermarket header i would probably be super safe and put a piece of metal between the header and the shaft, ive seen someone on here do that. Dont know if thats necessary but thats just me.

I would go with Alphawerks
Old 07-21-2006, 01:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i have alfawerks it is stainless teal poilished...and it generates allot of heat....thats why im saying wrapping it could work...
Old 07-21-2006, 01:40 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

Be careful of wrapping a polished stainless, as it can crack easily.
Old 07-21-2006, 03:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

really thanks for telling my that....so then wjat routes do i have?
Old 07-21-2006, 06:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The MMW is stainless and comes polished, but the coating still took pretty well. Had to get a few touch-ups after the fact but that was simply due to me not using any lube when I forced that fat bastard into the engine bay :p

I still haven't heard from the welder who made my heat shield. If I have time this afternoon I'll go bugger around his shop to see if he's there.
Old 07-21-2006, 07:21 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

^ is he making an entire heat sheild like the stock one ? Thats probably the best route
Old 07-21-2006, 07:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ignore the writing :p

Not exactly. With the aftermarket header, there's no where else to mount it. If it was as big as the OEM, it would rattle to hell and gone.
Old 07-21-2006, 07:35 PM
web
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Not sure about the red mark but NEVER wrap your headers. The heat wrap works TOO good and will crack the header in about a month. B/c the wrap is made from an asbestos/kevlar mix material, it retains so much heat that even in everyday driving, your headers will be glowing red hot underneath. Might sound nice, but when you're talking about 1500+ degrees F, that will damage the header quickly and also hoses and fan shroud. NEVER DO HEADER WRAP. Header paint may work ok, but you'll still get a lot of heat. It's just something to deal with. I have a set of stainless steal headers I got through NOPI and they work great. They did the whole turning gold and then that blueish look, but I think it looks pretty good.

You can order the headers from AutoZone, they get them from NOPI and NOPI gets them from other dealers. The are a little cheaper but still put out the same about of hp as DC sports, Megan, and others. The piping size at the head is just under 1 7/8 inches per tube and it's CAT-free. Make sure you use that anti-fouler trick to confuse your computer for the rear O2.

I wanted to paint mine with ceramic paint, but had bad luck with that on my truck headers. It just chipped off and I followed the baking process for when you want to just paint and bolt it back up. You can either cook it in an oven, or bolt it back up and follow instructions to help set the paint. It just chipped off and turned white.......Luckily my truck was white too
Old 07-22-2006, 03:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^they only crack if you have one of those crappy headers, like OBX. Most of my civic friends have DC headers and like 2 of them have DEI heat wrap for years now, and it looks ok. Oh and my turbonetics downpipe is DEI wrapped also, makes lotta difference...ill let you know when it cracks, lol.

PS: Im selling my alphawerks header. I switched to FI. PM me if youre interested ;P
Old 07-22-2006, 08:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

For all you guys interested in the coating thing:

http://www.jet-hot.com/Pages/coatings.html

Looking at the Jet-Hot 2000 (2,450 degrees) in black. I know it's far from anything with bling but it's about performance with peace of mind.

I really like the setup Mattvs has as I've told him a couple of times. The heatshield is a must. Coated or wrapped, the header is not going on with out one. Like a lot of you are saying in the seal for the s/c topic, nothing is worth destroying a 3k pc of harware. So like I said before, no one really thinks it matters what header I go with? Otherwise DC Sports is going to be the choice for me. The thing is, it's only mild steel with some ceramic coating. Probably just to keep it from rusting more than to do anything for heat.
Old 07-22-2006, 01:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

^^ but wouldnt the black jet-hot be good enough? I would assume that since its good for over 2k heat that it would be better then the stock header w/ heat shield.
Old 07-23-2006, 05:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by paul_dezod
We offer JH coating at a discount to SL members. FYI

even with a discount - wouldnt sending you the header, having you send it to JH - then having it sent back cost way too much in shipping?