Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

I think i have a big problem!

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2008, 05:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default I think i have a big problem!

ok so ive been driving my car around in high rpm's but not gunning it or anything cuz i have only 1st and 2nd gears (auto) cuz my tranny is f'd up. so me and my friend tookl off my ptuning exhaust to clean it and shine it up and havent put it back on yet. so id be chillin in 2nd gear at like 4k rpms around 40-45 mph and i pull in my house and i open the hood and i see like little greyish smoke that almost looks like its coming right out of the turbo but im very unsure.. also theres oil on my turbo charge pipe that goes to the intercooler.. but its like right on the part thats straight down from the turbo. and some on my engine block.. (pretty sure its oil).. what the heck is going on.
Old 09-28-2008, 05:39 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

my best bet would be just the blowby .....oil blow by the crank out the breather......or if smoke comes outta exhaust and turbo....say hello to a turo rebuild u may have a blown seal
Old 09-28-2008, 05:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well i always have smoke outta my exhaust.. well not always. .. especially with open downpipe.. i get smoke. but im pretty sure the oil line connect to under teh turbo that goes to the oil pan is leaking.
Old 09-28-2008, 05:47 PM
SL Member

Default Bus?

I think maybe its time to take the bus. I know cars are designed a little better these days to handle high rpms, but driving around in 1-2nd gear at high rpms is still a no go when your tranny is in limp mode. Have you taken it to a dealer and had it diagnosed yet. Or even autozone, you should definitely have a CEL.

Im sure you know the 2nd gear max thing is designed to get you home safely but after that it should be parked until fixed. Anyways my best guess is you blew a seal on the turbo or one of the lines is leaking. But if it was a seal usually the oil residue will blow into the down or charge pipe.

Is your oil drain line at least double if not tripple your feed line? A lot of people do custom lines and dont pay attention to that small fact and end up blowing seals quickly.

Wipe everything up, engine degrease r, pop the hood and let it idle and see if anything starts leaking a little. Then rev it a few times or hold it at 3K for a brief time (less than 30 seconds) and see if anything leaks then.

j~
Old 09-28-2008, 05:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

how can i test it if its a seal?
Old 09-28-2008, 05:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i let it idle.. saw no leaks.. had someone rev it at 3k a couple times and hold.. nothing.
Old 09-28-2008, 06:50 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by SoFloTC
how can i test it if its a seal?

I dont know of a certain test besides a visual inspection. Take the down pipe and intake pipe off. Look inside. If you see an oil residue I would say bad seal. More common in the down pipe. There is just a certain difference between carbon residue vs. an oily residue in the down pipe.

Again never experienced this myself, just info from others I have read and heard in the past.

J~
Old 09-29-2008, 02:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

also while i was driving with open downpipe and come to some stoplights and smoke would start coming out of it and around the car.... i think the oil return line at the turbo is leaking so thats that.. but whats with all the smoke.. u think i blew a seal?
Old 09-29-2008, 10:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Not sure what is wrong with yours but I have heard of people having too much oil and burning oil also if the fitting in the oil pan isn't high enough it will not drain and cause oil to burn or check the drain hose to make sure its not obstructed. Just some things to check into.
Old 09-30-2008, 03:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

arite so the oil is def leaking from the return line where it connects to the turbo.. and btw my oil is black as crud i need to change it asap! but i turned my car on and revved a little to make sure that was the spot and it was. also the bay seemed a little TO hot. and then the smoke.. small amount of smoke coming from near the turbo.. idk if this is just hot oil bieng burnt or my actual turbo or what... can i drive to a shop nearby safely with this oil leak?
Old 09-30-2008, 12:18 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well one dont drive to the shop get that thing towed i dont wanna hear another post saying i just shot my tranny or threw a rod on way to shop only 2 miles away

TWO: starting and revving even if just to 3k...is A BIG NO NO! when boosted....when your car first starts its in open loop... dont rev ull be running lean up the ___ and have a nice hole in the coll looking 2az

THREE clean up the oil....fix the leak....and if u see smoke well then that my friend will only mean one thing....youll be looking at a rebuild kit for your turbo
Old 09-30-2008, 03:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well im getting a new tranny put in at the shop on friday so if my current one totally dies it doesnt worry me.. 2 if i do throw a rod... well lucky me the following week im doing internals so.. but the chances of that are slim cuz im only on 6 lbs.

im thinking the smoke was burning oil but im still unsure about this.. im gonna have to drive it to the shop cuz theres no way im forking out 200-300 bucks to get it towed there.
Old 09-30-2008, 03:33 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ok u may drive to the shop but please turn your hazards on and drive in the 3k range.....anything higher is asking for stuff
Old 09-30-2008, 03:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

true. im praying its not a seal cuz if it is.. then im forking out a grand for a BB gt28 .. which is very nice for the autos and can handle the power i want.
Old 09-30-2008, 08:21 PM
SL Member

Back to the drain line....I'm not sure what size yours is but make sure it's at least 8an size perferribly 10an and your feed is only 4an. As well as making sure its mounted high on the pan or you'll have problems all over again.

Time for synthetic too if you dont use it already.

J~
Old 09-30-2008, 08:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ya i use synthetic.. always even when i was NA i did lol. ya my drain line is gigantic compared to my feed line. im just wondering if this leakage is damaging my turbo at all cuz im still clueless where the smoke could be coming from.
Old 09-30-2008, 09:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

lol my seals are shot and i still dirve it fine As long as u dont let it get low on oil and its not leaking like a quart a day or something crazy im sure ud be fine on that part - but with the tranny issue - that aint good! Someone donate me some money so i can rebuild my turbo - pretty pretty please